Home

Just got my EA Sports class action lawsuit settlement check

This is a discussion on Just got my EA Sports class action lawsuit settlement check within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #41
Rookie

Vizen's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Just got my EA Sports class action lawsuit settlement check

still haven't gotten mine...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #42
Banned

Aggies67's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by superxero27
The suit was as far as I can remember was based on pricing practices - at Electronic Arts as a whole, not just EA Sports - hardly a "frivolous" matter as far as the courts are concerned.
It's a frivolous lawsuit because EA forced no one to buy any of the games. They put the price on it, and people willingly paid the price.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #43
Pro

superxero27's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies67
It's a frivolous lawsuit because EA forced no one to buy any of the games. They put the price on it, and people willingly paid the price.
Only if you use the colloquial definition of what constitutes "frivolous" instead of the legal one.
Under your qualification, no price gouging or similar weaseley pricing strategies could ever be brought to court.

This specific case was centered around anti-trust and consumer protection violations in relation to exclusive licenses and inflated prices. Those aren't BS "frivolous" accusations, those allegations are taken seriously.

My teams:
NFL - Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals
NCAAF/B - Arizona Wildcats, Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, North Texas Mean Green

I find it amusing that the OS icon for NAU is 20 years (and three rebrands!) out of date.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #44
Banned

Aggies67's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by superxero27
Only if you use the colloquial definition of what constitutes "frivolous" instead of the legal one.
Under your qualification, no price gouging or similar weaseley pricing strategies could ever be brought to court.
Are you a lawyer or something?
How can this be price-gouging? Most other competitor video games - including sports games - are set at the same exact price - $59.99
Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #45
Rookie

LuckySeven's Arena

OVR: 6

I think this goes back to the PS2/XBox (original) era right around the time 2K Sports decided to start selling their games at $19.99 each while EA was still pushing the $49.99 unofficial standard for consoles at the time. EA quickly signed those exclusive deals pretty quickly once they realized it was beginning to make a noticeable dent in their profits. At least that's how I heard it at the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #46
Banned

Aggies67's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySeven
I think this goes back to the PS2/XBox (original) era right around the time 2K Sports decided to start selling their games at $19.99 each while EA was still pushing the $49.99 unofficial standard for consoles at the time. EA quickly signed those exclusive deals pretty quickly once they realized it was beginning to make a noticeable dent in their profits. At least that's how I heard it at the time.
Thanks for the answer. It appears you are correct, according to a web article I just read:

"It (the suit) alleged that by securing an exclusive license to the NFL as Sega was exiting the football game market, Electronic Arts had established a monopoly. "

I hadn't thought about it that way before. To me, that makes all the difference in the world. It sets me straight, as far as my attitude is concerned. Now I see it as a company rightly being punished for an illegal activity, rather than just greedy claimants getting refund checks for some high-priced games.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #47
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

It's a price gouge no matter if other games go for the same or less if their product is inferior. Other game companies don't have a problem with turning out a quality game for $60 or $50, yet EA is notorious for not coming through with their promises. You keep selling broken products to people and this can happen. If the courts truly thought the lawsuit was frivolous, EA would've won.

After 9/11 no one was twisting people's arms to go out and stock up on gasoline, yet it happened. Some stations in my area were charging $7+ a gallon. They got sued for price gouging. They lost.

And if nothing else, this lawsuit on EA falls on the fact that anyone can sue anyone for anything.

The fact that since (at least) NCAA Football '10 through NCAA Football '13 (and I would guess '14 as well) you could not see the offense's personnel if you played co-op speaks for EA's laziness on the game. Half-assed efforts came back to bite them in the rear. If they had turned out a quality product no one would be bitching.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I just got a check for $24 and I didn't even claim...

Must have been because they had online account records or something, and therefore knew I owned the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »