Home

Playing DE

This is a discussion on Playing DE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Playing DE

I try to play DE when on D and was wondering if anyone had any tips. I never seem to get pressure from my side and also tend to be weak against the run because i'm too keen on trying to get at the QB. Should I use the turbo button when trying to make a swim move ? Any tips would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Playing DE

I was too dominate at DE so i play with the DT. Just find the position you enjoy the most and challenges you to real life stats and you'll have fun.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
Rookie

kirkdawg's Arena

OVR: 4

I play with the DE and I'm also weak on the run on that side because I go after the QB too hard, but what you can do with the DE is set up the OLB to get pressure. I've had tremendous success with having my fastest LB on the same side as the DE I use. This works really well in a 3-4 zone blitz. Use the DE to stunt inside at the snap. That draws the OT inside and sets up a double team on the DE. This frees up the OLB to rush, especially if they are in the shotgun with the RB on the opposite side. If the RB is to the same side as the DE, roll outside with your DE at the snap which will draw both the OT and the RB/FB to the outside while letting the LB slip through the gap between the OG and OT. The OG will almost never pick up the LB, instead choosing to double team the DT.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:09 AM   #4
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

I usually play as an important player on the play.

The spy, the blitzer, etc.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 7

DE can be a lot of fun to play if you have the right type of player. If you've got a good speed rusher, sometimes it works to gamble and if your lined on the strong side to move your DE manually to the weak side to overload it.

Heres a little diagram:

Before the snap (defaulut)

X X X X
O O O O O
O
O
O
Now after the switch:

XX X X
O O O O O
O
O
O

You just gotta hope that they run a formation like that in passing situation, then you can almost always get a sack by overloading the weak side, especially if your DE has speed over 75. And in general, moving farther outside the tackle, toward the receivers also is a cheap way to get sacks if you have a good speed rusher. All you have to do is speed by the tackle and swoop in for the easy sack. My friend had 75 in one season doing this technique, pretty cheap
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 7

wow, that diagram i tried to draw up did not come out right for some reason or another. anyways what im saying is if your opponent runs a strong I, move your DE from the strong side to the weak side to overload, makes for easy sacks and QB pressure, which can lead to INTs, even if you cant make the sack.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Ya...I think it all depends on what kind of DE you are using and what type of tackle you are going against. If you have a speed guy, you might want to use speed burst to speed rush the majority of the time. Or, if you've got a power guy, you might wanna just use speed burst to move the guy out of the way. The spins can be effective, but I fine the swim moves most effective. The key to getting free on a running play if ur on the d-line, is to get off the ball quick...I find that the swim move works best on those types of plays.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

Usually if I play DE, I try swimming back inside and it works pretty well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »