Home

I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome)

This is a discussion on I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Well I'm starting as OC of Idaho in year 2. It's going to be a pain and I could see myself trying to flex my recruiting restrictions to make it easier. Which of course would lead me to get bored of the dynasty because the team becomes too good
I've heard this several times about how recruiting results in making teams ridiculously good. Is this because of the overall that you end up getting? Or is it the actual gameplay that translates? I'm just wondering because the OS sliders we use, adjusting the coaching sliders, it's resulted in a different approach to the games overall. By default, the CPU's approach to their offense/defense has been pretty linear with the aggression sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 0

I had this exact same problem, it always ended up with me getting really good, I decided that it was really too boring after I had a dynasty that went into year 2031. That's 18 seasons!

So what I do is try to be realistic. I noticed that no matter what team I do a dynasty as, they always end up being really good and unbeatable. So I handicap myself. I made these rules:

1. Don't use any of the coaching tree skills. Leave all the points unspent for the head coach, offensive and defensive coordinator. These make the game too easy, especially the recruiting ones.

2. Turn down your coaching philosophy aggressiveness and sim all special teams, unless it is 4th and short. This is because I can return half of all punts and kickoffs for touchdowns or huge gains and when I kick field goals, I always make them. I've never given up a punt return touchdown either. So simulating them makes it more realistic in the sense that you can score 21 points without ever having your offense step on the field.

If you do these rules, you won't get a class full of 5 star recruits and end up cutting half of them because of no space, and you will never be able to win those 10 straight national championships with an average margin of victory of 60 points. Without scouting, which I just don't bother to do, some recruits come in as huge busts. This is like real life, how many 4 and 5 star recruits never even see the field? A lot of them actually don't because they stop trying in college or have off the field issues, and this simulates that.

This makes the game more fun for me at least. Playing as Illinois through 4 seasons, I've gone 4-8, 6-6 + a bowl game loss, 11-2 and a Rose Bowl win, then 6-6 with a bowl game loss because all the good players from my 3rd season left and unlike other dynasties, I didn't already have a roster full of 5 star recruits. I was mainly getting 3 stars with OVR's of 60-70. This keeps things interesting and makes a lot of games close.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #83
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

^ I've considered going the no scouting route. I just hate doing it lol. And I don't no if I could handicap myself that much when I know that CPU teams still get the full benefit of the recruiting tree (extra points, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I've heard this several times about how recruiting results in making teams ridiculously good. Is this because of the overall that you end up getting? Or is it the actual gameplay that translates? I'm just wondering because the OS sliders we use, adjusting the coaching sliders, it's resulted in a different approach to the games overall. By default, the CPU's approach to their offense/defense has been pretty linear with the aggression sliders.
Overall mostly. Knowing that the whole "wait till week 2 and then search for players who aren't being recruited by anyone" method exists...it's hard to resist the temptation of the easy recruiting.

I'm definitely going to edit the aggression sliders like you do with your slider set. As of now I am set up with buffeyes sliders though. It was what I was using before I took a break from the game, although I know he has made a lot of changes. Back a couple months ago when I was playing was before you guys had your heisman set out and the all american set up was too easy.

I am using that old all american set in my online dynasty though. Reason being it is with my cousin and a friend and they don't play as much and aren't as good. I don't think they would survive on heisman slider sets. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to edit all the aggression settings for coaches beforehand (since you can't edit coaches in an online dynasty) so I just played Oregon and they went for a screen pass on all but 2 3rd down attempts, regardless of distance.

I've considered taking a look at the sliders but right now I am just ready to get the dynasty going. I'll see how buffeyes work out for me for a bit and may try out the community sliders later
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #84
Rookie

Footski10's Arena

I suffer from RDS. For me, its not that I get bored, I just get a new idea in my head and it makes me want to try it. My big issue is that I play NCAA and Madden and I am completely torn between two options. (I'm playing 08 versions on PS2 btw. thats just my opinion on the game I like best.)

Option 1: Play as a player from his freshman year in college all the way through his career. I like this because I would like build a single career and there are opportunities to switch teams (get traded, released).

Option 2: Be a coach in NCAA and follow that career while being an owner in Madden and building a team. I like this because I love building a team and it would be fun to draft my NCAA players. Its also fun to be able to use many different players. One big concern for me is mostly in Madden. I feel like I will get bored of owning the same team for a long time and it feels unrealistic to switch.

Anyways, it seems like I will choose one of these options, get 2-3 games into a season and then I start thinking about how fun it would be to do the other option. Unfortunately, I don't have nearly enough free time for two separate dynasties/franchises.

Now I have been pondering a third option which mixes the two. My idea is to follow a player through his career while competing against my NCAA coach/Madden owner teams that I build. If I come up to a game against myself, I would basically play offense only, switching between whoever has the ball. Suggestions or commments would be great. (or am I just a crazy person??)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #85
MVP

RebelHog's Arena

OVR: 8

I have tried the HS to NCAA to Madden route and man its tough to maintain that attention span
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #86
Banned

I think the majority has this. It's just with so many teams, so many different cool scenarios are possible and just not enough time for all of them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »