Home

I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome)

This is a discussion on I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: I suffer from RDS (Restarting Dynasty Syndrome)

Change the difficulty for how you play. Having a long and enjoyable dynasty starts first with how difficult the actual games you play are. If you're cruising to win after win then you'll get bored and that will lead you to trying new schools but really nothing is changing. Finding the right difficulty and slider set is crucial. It's okay to lose games and not make a BCS bowl every season.

Set house rules for recruiting and stick with them. This always keeps things challenging and rewarding.

Recruit more to your teams style. Maybe you want to be known for being a WR or Middle Linebacker factory for the pros. But really suck at recruiting CB. Don't just get studs at every position just because they show interest in your school.

Embed yourself with the rest of the country. Keep checking how other schools are doing (especially rivals). Check other teams and players stats during the year. Follow the surprise stories. Example. In my 4th year as HC of USF I've noticed that Air Force is 7-0. 1 of only two undefeated teams left yet they are only ranked 25th in the polls, mainly because of their weak schedule and several close wins. I'm interested to see how much longer they can keep winning. Also in recruiting I noticed that Georgia currently has the worst class in the nation thus far. With only 1 signing and it's a 1* player. I'm sure they will rise but for an SEC school at the bottom, 10 weeks into the season is pretty cool to see.

Little story lines keep it fun and fresh.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
Banned

fantasyboi's Arena

OVR: 0

oh man tell me about it. i have terrible issues with that...i was at a point to where i was looking for a city that absolutely has not sports titles at all and be all the teams there but a NCAA team had to b a 1 star and couldnt b near a hot bed recruiting state....im right there with u.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

I second the post above about gameplay. If you can tinker around with sliders to get them where you have some classic games that will help. Also, recruiting house rules and relatively slow coach progressions are a must. You don't have to pick the worst team in NCAA to have a nice rebuild, you just have to tie a hand behind your back to make it a bit of a struggle.

I started with 2-star Colorado and am now in my 5th season. I've had some tremendous upsets (3rd ranked Oregon in my 1st season comes to mind), epic triple OT games (59-56 vs Michigan), furious comebacks (came from down 27 points in the late 3rd quarter against Arizona State), and memorable players (Christian Powell won the Heisman). I also just beat conference rival USC for the first time. And while I've won the Sun Bowl twice, the Holiday Bowl once, and have a PAC 12 title to my credit, the only MAJOR bowl I've been to so far (the Rose Bowl) was a loss, so that is driving me on to keep playing. I've also reached #1 ranking in the Media Poll for the 1st time after an upset 3 point win over #2 Notre Dame in South Bend. The Coach Poll gives me no love though, lol, and the media just overreacts to the most recent event.

In short, don't worry about having the BEST and freshest scenario ever. Just do a dynasty that will keep you interested. Or, just make sure you don't erase your file when trying out something new just in case you want to go back to it later.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hi my name is Josh and I suffer from RDS also.

Group: Hi Josh

Your not alone at all I have this problem as well the furthest I made it in a dynasty is year 5 so far in NCAA14
Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
I'm terrible. Just absolutely terrible with this. I get an idea that I want to do for a dynasty and start it up. I enjoy it for a couple of days...but then I see a better idea someone had or just get bored with my current dynasty. In the past I have had the dynasty where I end up changing coaching jobs what seems like very single offseason. But then I have also had the ones where I try to stick to just one team. It never fails. I get bored with it and feel like I could have picked a better route.

Currently I started a dynasty where I took over in year 2 (tried simming year 1 to be fairly close to what happened in football this year) as the OC for Kentucky. In year 2 I am dominating the SEC with Jalen Whitlow and I'll likely be in line to get a good HC job. This is what I wanted to happen...

But then I come on here and see somebody's signature where they are tracking where they have coached in their dynasty. Starting as an OC for a small program, then a big program, then a HC for a small program, then a big program. All for a couple of years. And I realize that seems way more fun than what I am currently doing. Now I'm wanting to quit my Kentucky dynasty and start doing something like that...

But then at the same time I know I'll end up getting bored and probably school hopping every year and not form any sort of longevity with any team.

Anyone else suffer from this problem? Anyone have any potential solutions? I think I need medication
I thought I was the only one. I find that the only thing keeping me from getting more out of the game is actually me. Sometimes I'm very play heavy..sometimes very sim/recruiting heavy. Tinker around with realigned conferences, etc. etc.

Nice to know I'm not alone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

I am right here with you guys. I think my personal best is around 20 seasons, but normally averages 7. I will say my interest in the game has gone up ten fold since they announced they would not be making another for the foreseeable future. I have always wanted a proper stat keeping program but with a new version being released every year I just did not care to put the work in to keep it current.

Now that I know that we are stuck with this one I am actually enjoying it more as I have made the stat program i've always wanted, The community is keeping it current with rosters and art work. The more I think about it a two year game cycle would be perfect for keeping me from getting burnt out on a game as normally by Feb I don't care to keep going since I know a new version is right around the corner.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

OVR: 7

Oh this is definitely me. I always progressed quickly in my dynasties. Year 3 always seemed to be the year I cracked a 12-0 season. Even lowly UTSA I built up to 5-star prestige in just 5 years. Then something changed...

I've always admired Stanford. Both as a school and a football program. I thought it'd be cool to build a football power at an ACADEMIC powerhouse like Stanford. So I set out for an A-rated academic school that had a crappy football program. After toying around with Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Wake Forest, I settled on Tulane. Here's what I liked about them:
  • "A" academics (has gone up to "A+" since I've been with them)
  • "B+" Campus Lifestyle (cuz you're in New Orleans - a big market, great for recruiting)
  • Play in the Superdome (76,000 seats: great for doing a LONG-TERM buildup)
  • Potential to move them to a bigger conference (cuz all the other geek schools were already in power conferences, except Rice. And I like to move my teams around.)
  • VERY LITTLE TALENT to start with (literally, the team had no talent outside of an experienced RB, a mediocre QB and a decent WR. Those first two years were especially rough as I had to phase out unwanted players while slowly installing an offense very few on the team were actually capable of running at the time. Talk about a buildup.)

So I'm doing a Tulane Green Wave dynasty, with plans to go to the ACC. There (unlike the SEC) I can play other academic powers too, like BC, Wake Forest, Duke and Georgia Tech. Since I'm in a recruiting hotbed I restrict myself to only those interested in academics. The W-L results I'm getting are great too, since I'm in Year 4 and have JUST cracked the .500 mark as HC. Overall my goal is to build a "Southern Stanford."

I guess you could say it's all on feel. Just take a good idea and run with it. I thought this Tulane dynasty would be short too, but I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

EDIT: I run a dynasty forum for this dynasty on OS. Check it out here!
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...rst-first.html

Dynasty Stops:
1. Tulane Green Wave
2. UAB Blazers
3. Wichita State Shockers

Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr HAM 101 (friend me/message me!)

Last edited by kswgrad2012; 01-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I too am a sufferer of RDS and while I exhibit symptoms, I have actually managed to make it to year three of a dynasty this year (using Minnesota). When I tire of it, I wind up going through a relapse of RDS, but I never delete this dynasty. My first year was solid (I went 8-5 IIRC), but year two was a total disaster (as we won only 3 or 4 games...don't recall at the moment). Year three is going better as I had a top 10 recruiting class in year 2 and with an influx of young talent at key positions, we are able to compete in the BIG 10 again.

I started one thing that has really kept things a bit fresher than normal; I randomly pick 20 players nationally and give them additional ratings boosts. I do this during pre-season (i.e. when you set redshirts, schedule, etc.) Once the ratings are adjusted and pre-season tasks complete, I advance (and at that time, the CPU is adjusting depth charts for all the teams...perfect timing). It adds some intrigue as you never know who is going to get boosted. Sometimes it is crappy players, sometimes it is really good players, but most of the time, it is a guy who is just OK. This gives a real sense of "breakout" players that always happen IRL. The key is that I focus only on Awareness boosts and "skill ratings" like catching, tackling, vision, coverage skills, etc. and not on athletic traits like speed, strength, or acceleration.

I am getting bored with Madden ATM, so I am probably going to be starting a new NCAA dynasty soon....now to pick a team.....oh no, RDS returns

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »