Home

Top Five Stories of 2013: NCAA Football's Demise

This is a discussion on Top Five Stories of 2013: NCAA Football's Demise within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Top Five Stories of 2013: NCAA Football's Demise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE09
I just don't get why they can't do something such as:

- send a form to each school asking if they want in the next NCAA game but they will not be able to get any money out of it unless their school is on the front cover

- send forms for each player at each D1F school and ask if they want to be in the next NCAA game and if they say no their player/number will not be added and if they want in they can't sue for likeliness and cannot receive any money from being added in the game. Unless they get on the front cover.

I mean if you were a D1 athlete and you just read over a paper and basically you had either:

- receive no money and not be in the game
- receive no money and get to be in a video game.

What do you think an 18 year old would say to that? No shyt they'd want in. I'm sure EA can figure some paperwork out. And if a school doesn't want to be in someone can just make a teambuilder. I'm sure there's some legal stuff that prevents this which is why it hasn't happened but seriously I'm sure there's an answer.
I love the last comment you said. I asked one of my friends who's a star on D1 football team (not gonna say who or where, but he's a WR) I asked him if he thought it was awesome to be in a game. He said it's really cool and he just kept throwing the ball to himself. The way he acted, he didn't care about being paid. It was a privilege to be in a video game

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Central Michigan Chippewas (College I'm Attending)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty11
I love the last comment you said. I asked one of my friends who's a star on D1 football team (not gonna say who or where, but he's a WR) I asked him if he thought it was awesome to be in a game. He said it's really cool and he just kept throwing the ball to himself. The way he acted, he didn't care about being paid. It was a privilege to be in a video game
While at Ohio U I knew many players that were thrilled to be on the game. Heck, even an argument over if a player who was a friend of mine was in the game or if it was someone else.

It's sad that a few money hungry, what do you owe me kind of people ruin it for everyone. We can talk about how much money the NCAA makes off of these players, but how about the free marketing that comes with it for the players?

Tim Tebow was a first round pick because of the NCAA and the media. Without it, everyone realizes what we've come to know now, he's not a NFL QB. And sure, some are saying, "I knew he wasn't," but enough people believed to give him a nice paycheck for a few years.

And how about Craig Krenzel? Because of the attention he received, he now has a job whenever he wants it in the greater Columbus area. Many other QBs have come and gone before and after Krenzel, but none have been received quite like him in the local advertising world. I'm sure the way he was talked about and seemingly always mentioned his molecular genetics major story had nothing to do with it...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty11
I know of at least one basketball player at Ohio State that once told me he was upset that they stopped making NCAA Basketball games. Told me when he signed to OSU one of the things he wanted to do was make himself all 99's and dunk on everyone. Also, a guy I work with now played FB in college at a smaller school, he loves telling everyone about how his roommate in college moved him to RB and won the Heisman with him, and that one of the game guides mentioned using him if you play with that school.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Why couldn't a fully licensed college football (or basketball) game with fictional players work? Its all fictional after 4 years anyway. Have completely fictional non customizable rosters tailored to the respective schools strengths. Think Madden or NBA 2k but with fictional players. Go out of the way to make sure that the players don't resemble real life student athletes (height, weight, race, hand...) in any way. The depth they could go into with commentary, ratings and "signature styles" would be endless. I have been having an absolute blast with CWSapp and Dreece's NBA 2k classes. The storylines and players have me more intrigued than the real life NCAA Basketball and the NBA draft. Could you imagine a licensed college football or basketball game with that kind of depth? With detailed player models on par with the pro games? A man can dream...
Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Rookie

Mick-S's Arena

with any luck O’Bannon`s money will bring him nothing but misery.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE09
I just don't get why they can't do something such as:

- send a form to each school asking if they want in the next NCAA game but they will not be able to get any money out of it unless their school is on the front cover

- send forms for each player at each D1F school and ask if they want to be in the next NCAA game and if they say no their player/number will not be added and if they want in they can't sue for likeliness and cannot receive any money from being added in the game. Unless they get on the front cover.

I mean if you were a D1 athlete and you just read over a paper and basically you had either:

- receive no money and not be in the game
- receive no money and get to be in a video game.

What do you think an 18 year old would say to that? No shyt they'd want in. I'm sure EA can figure some paperwork out. And if a school doesn't want to be in someone can just make a teambuilder. I'm sure there's some legal stuff that prevents this which is why it hasn't happened but seriously I'm sure there's an answer.
It doesn't work that way, when an athlete signs a letter of intent and accepts the scholarship he/she must follow all of the rules/guidelines set by the NCAA, they cannot receive a separate contract (plus they're 18, even the most intelligent 18 year olds don't understand the legal ramifications of the contract they are signing). They do not get to choose to be in the game and as of right now, and this has always been the case, it is illegal to use their likeness and be in the game, period. That's what the lawsuit by O'Bannon was partially about, they NCAA pretending to not use their likeness because it's illegal while clearly using their likeness. There are a myriad of laws that are incredibly complicated and what you are suggesting is impossible and illegal.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
EA will have a window as major college athletics moves towards a Division 4 type of model, with the biggest universities setting their own rules with regards to player recruiting, compensation, and bonuses.

That type of a model, where schools could opt into a game without fear of litigation because players are compensated for their appearances from the license money either via a scholarship or some type of stipend — is one possible future.

Any future college games will have to include the actual players in the game in a way that makes everyone happy — which would open up a world of possibilities for fans of college football video games.

Roster updates, real storylines, better overall commentary, perhaps even better player ratings and likenesses. The possibilities are endless.
Endless, that is, if you happen to be a fan of an "Enormous State U"-type school. For the rest of us, whose schools would be unlikely to be included in such a game, it would be the final death knell for cfb gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
While at Ohio U I knew many players that were thrilled to be on the game. Heck, even an argument over if a player who was a friend of mine was in the game or if it was someone else.

It's sad that a few money hungry, what do you owe me kind of people ruin it for everyone. We can talk about how much money the NCAA makes off of these players, but how about the free marketing that comes with it for the players?

Tim Tebow was a first round pick because of the NCAA and the media. Without it, everyone realizes what we've come to know now, he's not a NFL QB. And sure, some are saying, "I knew he wasn't," but enough people believed to give him a nice paycheck for a few years.

And how about Craig Krenzel? Because of the attention he received, he now has a job whenever he wants it in the greater Columbus area. Many other QBs have come and gone before and after Krenzel, but none have been received quite like him in the local advertising world. I'm sure the way he was talked about and seemingly always mentioned his molecular genetics major story had nothing to do with it...
Funny that most, if not all, of the players part of the lawsuit were former college players that couldn't make a living in the NFL. Well, since they don't know what it's like to get real jobs because their college career was 99.9% of their life, they're trying to get easy money

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Central Michigan Chippewas (College I'm Attending)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »