Home

On Veer plays how do I give the ball to the RB?

This is a discussion on On Veer plays how do I give the ball to the RB? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: On Veer plays how do I give the ball to the RB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty11
Hold X to give it to the RB
Thank you.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 1

I never could get the veer to work. The read is very quick and the pay-off seemed worse than read.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I can own the zone read in this game, It seems the veer is a little off. Most times if I ever run it, it is basically a QB run up the middle instead of a qb option run to the outside like the zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr862
I can own the zone read in this game, It seems the veer is a little off. Most times if I ever run it, it is basically a QB run up the middle instead of a qb option run to the outside like the zone.
One of the first times I ran the veer I obviously had no clue how to hand the ball off of course. My qb, Taylor Martinez kept it and started to run to the outside through a huge hole in the defense. I then started controlling him and coasted to about a 35 yard TD run. That is was peaked my interest in trying to figure out how to run this play.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Rookie

CantGetRight84's Arena

OVR: 0

Its the same wayt as any other option only the read is much faster. If you can get the situation where the end crashes to the QB and you can get it to the RB quick enough, it can lead to some big gains.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr862
That's because the veer-option plays in the game are more like an inverted read-option.

In the read-option, you read the defensive player. If he crashes the RB on the dive, QB keeps the ball and runs outside to the backside of the dive; if he stays home on the outside, QB gives the ball to the RB on the dive.

In the NCAA 14 veer, the QB runs the dive while the RB takes the outside run. The read doesn't happen any quicker, it's just that the give/pull read is opposite of what the read-option is. If the defender crashes the dive, the QB needs to give to the RB on the sweep. If the defender stays home, the QB keeps the ball and runs the dive - generally to the playside of the dive.

It takes some getting used to, forcing yourself to remember "crash=GIVE, stay=PULL", but it can be an effective play, especially against a human player who is expecting the regular read-option.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

What I've found is to run the inverted veer, you are going to need a QB with high ACC. Over 90 ACC is ideal. He has to be able to get out of the gate quickly. The play takes some work but can be effective, especially against a human opponent who wants to key in on the read option and tries to cheat on the crash.

The key is to follow your blocks. With the Read Option, it's usually run to daylight. With the inverted veer, if the DE stays then keep with the QB and run up behind the guard and bounce to the open hole. If the DE crashes, hit it outside and hit the first lane that opens up. You have to hit it hard. It's much more like Wing T football. You have to be disciplined about following that block and then cutting up the first lane that opens up.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »