Home

Players that didn't live up to your expectations

This is a discussion on Players that didn't live up to your expectations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Players that didn't live up to your expectations

I tried to phrase it where everyone could tell the difference between this and a bust from scouting. What player did you sign that you knew would go on to great things but never did and why?

I signed athlete that I put at QB that I knew was going to be a game changer and win atleast one heisman and shatter records. His name was Aaron Chandler he was a bit undersized at 6'0 180 but had 94 speed and 90ish and acceleration and agility and a overall of 80 as a true freshman. His arm at the time was high 80's for both. He was also walking into a great situation because I had a heisman trophey candidate ahead of him on the depth chart. So he would get atleast 2 years to redshirt and develop as a mopup/change of pace QB.

But he just couldn't stay healthy missing major time in all 2 years of starting because I ran with him so much. His Junior year was pretty good and still had 2,448 passing yards 15 TD, 7 interceptions, 855 rushing yards and 22 TD.

His senior year I knew he would win the heisman as I had most all of my starters back and his rating was off the charts 99 overall, 96 spd, 92 agi, 90 acc, 98 car, 97 thp, 96 tha and 94 elu. But he missed 9 weeks with a injury and finished the year with 1,548 yards 15 TD, 10 int, 400 rushing yards and 4 TD. His backup for example came in and played much better who is a 99 ovr, 81 spd, 94 thp, 99 tha. He had 2,474 yards with 23 TD and 7 int. I think I may have been part of the problem as he was just fo fast I tried to do to much with him where with the other guy I played within my system. So what stories and players did you have?

Last edited by georgiafan; 02-17-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Players that didn't live up to your expectations

Derrick Williams (PSU) - #1 prospect. Was supposed to be Mr. All Everything in college football.

Devin Hester - was hyped to be something that we have never ever seen before. Basically an alien.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
Derrick Williams (PSU) - #1 prospect. Was supposed to be Mr. All Everything in college football.

Devin Hester - was hyped to be something that we have never ever seen before. Basically an alien.
I believe this thread was made for video game recruits not actual players.

And to defend Devin Hester, he's going to retire as the best punt/kick returner in the history of the game and holds multiple NFL records. That's pretty damn good.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm a spread option guy so I always have fast QBs. I run tons of options, but with my sliders I'll never have a Heisman candidate (I'm in year 2031 and I'm pretty sure I've never even had a guy finish in the top 5) but I've had some amazing players.

I had years of 90+ SPD QBs (including 1 dude that had 97 SPD as a SR). However the year is 2027 and my starting QB at the time, Devin Fenner, still has wheels (87 SPD) but he has by far the best arm of any QB I've coached (I think it was 97 THP/99 THA as a SR). He was serviceable in the option game, but he put up passing numbers like I've never had before (check out his career TD:INT ratio compared to the rest of my QBs):

He started for 2 years and led us to the National Championship in both years, yet the entire time I was pining away thinking about his backup Chris Holly. Holly was another 90+ SPD QB and was gonna bring us back to our run heavy spread option roots. I spent most of those 2 years just looking to the future when Holly was gonna bring us back to the promised land.

Well, as you can see from above, Holly was nowhere near the passer that Fenner was, but this isn't surprising and really couldn't have been expected. But that's fine, as long as he's a beast with his legs. However.......

you can see that he wasn't. I was expecting numbers like my other 2 main "speed QBs" Irvin and Maxwell (whose career YPC is highlighted), but Holly never approached that. What's worse, his rushing numbers are essentially equal to Fenner who I'm sure will end up being the biggest "passing QB" that I'll ever coach.

So I spent 2 seasons anticipating with bated breath the arrival of Fenner as my starter so he could set the world on fire with his legs, only to have him be no more effective as a rusher than Holly who managed to put up those rushing numbers while still setting records with his arm (he threw for more TDs in a season, 41, than any QB in Michigan history and he would've set career marks if he were a 4 year starter like my 1st recruit Tyler Irvin instead of only starting for 2 years).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 02-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Rookie

TroyMajors's Arena

OVR: 0

Man, I got this recruit 2 years back in 2013 (I'm in year 2016-2017, I'm about to start over due to the lack of juniors leaving. plus the draft classes are all messed up, Clowney coming out in 2015 Manziel coming out 2016) But anyway I recruited a WR who was heavily recruited around the nation. His name was Eric Smart. kid was 6'4 216 lbs. and ran a 4.53 40. He came in with good ratings. 79 ovr. as a true freshman. 81 catch, 75 catch in traffic, overall a solid receiver. But maaaan, he couldn't stay healthy. Every time I turn around, he's down on the field. This year in his Junior year his ovr. got up to 87, but he got injured half way into the season. If he wants to be an NFL prospect, he's gonna have to stay healthy for this upcoming 2017-2018 season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

Billy Ralph, recruited him as an Ath and had him play QB in my coach mode dynasty as OC at Indiana. He had great skills, up 80's speed and mid 80's THA and THP, he was perfect to run my flex offense. He started his Soph year and averaged 3+ TO's a game. No matter what is was he would fumble several option pitches or throw an INT. I tried to play him becuase he was so much better then my back up but he constantly turned the ball over to the point i benched him for last half of his jr year and all his senior year because i lost games because of him.

To this day i still cant understand why all the TO's he had. He had a great carry skill, good AWR and was easily the best recruit i had but failed badly on game day!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

I recruited a five star running back, #2 in the Nation, out of Georgia and was looking forward to starting him his Freshman year. He was a 79 coming in and after my Heisman Candidate Running Back went into the Draft, I was looking pretty depleted. He struggled to put up more than 60 yards rushing a game and dropped several screen passes throughout the first half of the season. I decided to change things up for a game and started a three star running back out of Florida. He went on to put up 137 rushing yards in his first game with two rushing touchdowns and three catches for 52 yards. I started him the rest of year after he repeated that performance in the next game, he's my starter now. Ironically, the five star running back never found his footing as a backup and transferred out to Georgia State after his Sophomore year. I had a chance to keep him but I opted to let him pave his own path. When I checked his stats at the end of his Senior Year, he had only put up 860 total rushing yards with four touchdowns and finished with an 85 overall rating.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerendipity
I recruited a five star running back, #2 in the Nation, out of Georgia and was looking forward to starting him his Freshman year. He was a 79 coming in and after my Heisman Candidate Running Back went into the Draft, I was looking pretty depleted. He struggled to put up more than 60 yards rushing a game and dropped several screen passes throughout the first half of the season. I decided to change things up for a game and started a three star running back out of Florida. He went on to put up 137 rushing yards in his first game with two rushing touchdowns and three catches for 52 yards. I started him the rest of year after he repeated that performance in the next game, he's my starter now. Ironically, the five star running back never found his footing as a backup and transferred out to Georgia State after his Sophomore year. I had a chance to keep him but I opted to let him pave his own path. When I checked his stats at the end of his Senior Year, he had only put up 860 total rushing yards with four touchdowns and finished with an 85 overall rating.
Sounds like my 5* rb now. He is a freshman and due to a depleted back field I have 4 true freshman in the back field. A 5* and three 3* backs. Through 2 games he is struggling averaging about 3 yrds per carry. Im in my 5th yr at SJSU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »