Home

Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel?

This is a discussion on Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Rookie

RDMercer's Arena

OVR: 4
Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel?

You spend a couple years at a school and your players really grow on you...In mine we got to a second straight 7-5 record with Iowa St. and had a strong showing in bowl game loss. So naturally they offer me the extension...Flattered yes...Staying away from the Coaching Carousel? HELL NO!...I just can't resist the temptation to go in there and see what offers are available...

So I get offered different jobs, and btw memo to Akron...You're going 1-10 or 0-10 every year so stop firing everyone after only 1 year and learn to take your time going 3-30...lol...but I get offered the O-Coordinator job at Mizz...A job I think I really want BUT I'm not quite sure...Of course I've had everything backed up and saved but I pack my bags and go to Mizz and go through the whole pre-season and all the way up to the first game BUT...I'm still missing my old team!!! Dag-nabbit!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel?

I have done that before, think i am ready to leave for another team and take another job but during the season i notice i am not having as much fun and that i wonder way to much how my old players are doing.

So what i do sometimes is take the auto save off and take a differnet job i think i will like and try it out and if i enjoy it as much i save if not i return to my old team for another season.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

I've just got this innate desire to start anew all the time. I just spend a few years at a place and then something snaps in me where I feel like I need to experience something different. For example, in my current Dynasty:

2013: Offensive Coordinator - Tulane
After the Head Coach (Curtis Johnson) left for Iowa and the Defensive Coordinator (Steve Sanard) was chosen for the Head Coaching Job, I decided to accept the Offensive Coordinator job with Nebraska.

2014-2017: Offensive Coordinator - Nebraska
I really loved being the Offensive Coordinator for Nebraska. I managed to put together the Top Offense in the NCAA for four straight seasons. Not to mention, it was kind of cool having my former boss (Curtis Johnson) as the school's rival at the end of every season. But with the success that I was finding, I was more or less cementing Bo Pelini's job status. After the 2017 Season had ended, I decided it was time to find something else.

2018: Offensive Coordinator - Oregon
I enjoyed playing with Oregon and it was nice getting to go from a traditional uniform set like Nebraska's to changing it up every week with Oregon. But as much fun as I had in Autzen, it never felt like Nebraska. Not to mention, I had now spent six seasons as an Offensive Coordinator and I felt it was time for a bump up in responsibility.

2019: Head Coach - Boston College
I'll admit, I took this job because it was the only Head Coaching job that intrigued me. I was in the running for the Texas job because Mack Brown had just retired but I lost out to Ohio State Coordinator, Tom Herman. I had spent the last two years waiting to hear back from a school that interested me like Florida State, North Carolina, LSU or Nebraska but none of them had come calling yet. So I took over in Boston and led the Eagles to an ACC Championship.

2020-2021: Head Coach - North Carolina
North Carolina called after the 2019 Bowl Game and I happily made the move. So far I'm really loving the North Carolina experience. You have the benefit of recruiting out of Georgia and Florida. But I'm trying to expand the pipeline down into Texas. I love the stadium, uniforms and the players that I've brought in. I'm finishing up my 2nd season with 9th best recruiting class in the nation. But even now that I'm in a spot that I like, part of me is still being drawn back to Lincoln. And I know that if I go, I'll miss North Carolina by Pre-Season.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Rookie

RDMercer's Arena

OVR: 4
Icon14 Re: Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerendipity
I've just got this innate desire to start anew all the time. I just spend a few years at a place and then something snaps in me where I feel like I need to experience something different. For example, in my current Dynasty:

2013: Offensive Coordinator - Tulane
After the Head Coach (Curtis Johnson) left for Iowa and the Defensive Coordinator (Steve Sanard) was chosen for the Head Coaching Job, I decided to accept the Offensive Coordinator job with Nebraska.

2014-2017: Offensive Coordinator - Nebraska
I really loved being the Offensive Coordinator for Nebraska. I managed to put together the Top Offense in the NCAA for four straight seasons. Not to mention, it was kind of cool having my former boss (Curtis Johnson) as the school's rival at the end of every season. But with the success that I was finding, I was more or less cementing Bo Pelini's job status. After the 2017 Season had ended, I decided it was time to find something else.

2018: Offensive Coordinator - Oregon
I enjoyed playing with Oregon and it was nice getting to go from a traditional uniform set like Nebraska's to changing it up every week with Oregon. But as much fun as I had in Autzen, it never felt like Nebraska. Not to mention, I had now spent six seasons as an Offensive Coordinator and I felt it was time for a bump up in responsibility.

2019: Head Coach - Boston College
I'll admit, I took this job because it was the only Head Coaching job that intrigued me. I was in the running for the Texas job because Mack Brown had just retired but I lost out to Ohio State Coordinator, Tom Herman. I had spent the last two years waiting to hear back from a school that interested me like Florida State, North Carolina, LSU or Nebraska but none of them had come calling yet. So I took over in Boston and led the Eagles to an ACC Championship.

2020-2021: Head Coach - North Carolina
North Carolina called after the 2019 Bowl Game and I happily made the move. So far I'm really loving the North Carolina experience. You have the benefit of recruiting out of Georgia and Florida. But I'm trying to expand the pipeline down into Texas. I love the stadium, uniforms and the players that I've brought in. I'm finishing up my 2nd season with 9th best recruiting class in the nation. But even now that I'm in a spot that I like, part of me is still being drawn back to Lincoln. And I know that if I go, I'll miss North Carolina by Pre-Season.
Bro that was a great read...Has there been a thread created already dedicated to Your Coaching Career???...If not THERE SHOULD BE...I love this kind of stuff and reading about what others are thinking when they make moves and are waiting for what they think could be their dream job opening...Great stuff
Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

OVR: 0

Well, while we are at it..

2013-2014 UAB Offensive Cord -I wanted to start at a small program and work my way up the ranks. I ran a Pro style offense (Custom playbook with Stanford as a base). I went 13-11 in those two years, and lost to Utah State 29-26 in the Armed Forces bowl in 2014.
2015-2017 Cal Offensive Cord -For some reason Cal was impressed by my skills at UAB and offered me the position. So why not? I took it, and switched to the Oregon playbook and even ran the hurry up in those three season, and I had a blast. Pro with a power run game is more my style but it can get kind of bland after awhile. Went 16-20, but to be honest the defense was nothing to write home about.
2018 Wyoming Head Coach -The third season at Cal was my best which turned the heads of the people in Laramie. My offense was getting better and better each season, and I was having a good time running it. I too like to get nosy in the Coaching Carrousel and my stint at Wyoming only lasted a season. We went 11-1, won the Mountain West and the Las Vegas Bowl.
2019-2020 Texas A&M Head Coach-After snooping through the job offers I couldn't turn this one down. This is when I started using Auburns playbook and slowed down my tempo. My first year we went 10-2, won the SEC and also the National Championship by beating #2 Alabama. In my second season, we posted another 11-1 record, won the SEC again, and beat #1 Navy in the National Championship. I was looking for a program to go to and stay and be "the next Alabama" but I didn't feel Texas A&M was it so...
2021-present Florida State Head Coach-I think I can stay here for awhile. However, in all honesty I hate the fact that I can't change the length and color of the uniform base sleeves. Anyways, as of right now I am ranked #15 with a 4-1 season. Still working towards an undefeated season.

But yea, I cant stay away from the coaching carousel either.

Last edited by dso122783; 02-20-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 6

I have 2 dynasties going. 1 with friends that I met on OS and we are doing a OD, and then I have another offline for myself. Here I go for both.

1st the OD

Army 2013 - 2014 - We all started as 1* schools. I chose Army ( Looking back now I wish I had chosen GSU). The 1st season we did ok, nothing special. My 2nd year everything aligned perfectly. After the 1st season I lost both my OC and DC. Their replacements were maxed out studs. Having that to my advantage, I was able to go undefeated, have the #1 offense and #1 defense. I allowed only 99 total pts on "D" in our 2014 season. By far the best all around season.
Washington St.2015-2017 - in our 3rd season I decided to go somewhere else. I chose to stay with a 1* but to go to the PAC 12.My goal was to stay there till my dream job opened @ USC. My 1st season wasn't ideal as I thought it would be. I did end up winning the PAC 12 but lost in the Bowl Season ( I forget which 1 ). In 2016 I went undefeated and met UCONN in the Sugar Bowl. Wasn't for the NC. In 2017 we had a rough patch. By then my co-players had swapped to schools and were both in the PAC with me. We decided whenever we played we would sim as our league is "Coach Mode". ! of them made Stanford is to a straight power house. By far the best school I have seen depth wise with talent. The other chose Colorado. During the 2017 season, I unfortunately met a 3 game losing streak out of no where and lost to Stanford, CAL, and UL Monroe. I ended 10-3 losing out the PAC12 title and met Baylor in a Bowl Game. Believe it was the Alamo Bowl ( We run no tie ins for our Bowls)
USC HC (2018 - Present) In 2018 The Trojans finally gave Kif the axe. Apparently impressed with my resume they hired me with what was their 1st offer. It was also the biggest school available that season. 2018 We did some conference alignment and there wasn't a PAC Title game. I ended up winning it, but met my match in the NC that season with the Stanford Cardinal. The NC game ended up being my only loss as Stanford was still my friends team ad was still full of talent. My final record was 12-1. In 2019, We aligned the conferences back to the way they are currently, and once again I met what has become my dreaded rival, Stanford in the PAC 12 Title game. We were both undefeated sporting a 12-0 record at the time. This time my friend had moved on from Stanford and taken Rutgers while my other friend left the friendly confines of Colorado for the more challenging SEC and Missouri. The game was close all the way through the 1st half. I was barely able to hold on going into half time with it tied up 25 - 25. I was thinking at half time to change my "D" personnel at the time to allow us to play up to their speed but was to cocky as I wanted my way to beat them. I ended up losing 53-50 to Stanford in the PAC 12 in what kept me out of a match up against my friends Missouri Tigers for the NC. I ended up getting The othe SC in the Orange Bowl an ended up taking my frustrations out on them. In our current season 2020, we are at the mid point and we are sitting 1,2,3. I have no wanting to leave this team, even if the BIG boys came calling, Texas, Alabama, Ohio St. I am enjoying getting the recruits I am getting, and looking forward to hopefully hoisting that Crystal at the end of this season. Here is to hoping.

My Offline Dynasty is with Texas St. I am currently in year 4. My plan is I am their OC but I sim all games. I use myself as their Scout only. 1st year we went 6-6 with no Bowl Bid ( Didn't think I deserved it anyway which was good) In my 2nd we went Bowling, and met EMU in the Go daddy Bowl. We ended up losing to them and had the record of 7-6. Our 3rd year was a complete disaster. We went 2-10. I for sure thought I would get canned. The school decided to retain myself and our HC but let go our DC. In our 4th yr we are currently 7-2 riding a 6 game win streak with 3 left and already Bowl eligible. I am hoping I am able to get a decent OC job somewhere else in Texas. My plan is to Move to another school, as a OC. Max my coach out there on Coaching. Then once done, move to a mid school in Texas, become a HC and max out my recruiting skills. MY final designation I want to be in Texas as a Longhorn.

BTW, sorry for the long winded post guys.

You can call it being a "Homer". But as Tupac said, its California Love.

My Teams
NFL- San Francisco 49ers
NBA- Los Angeles Lakers
NHL- Anaheim Ducks
MLB - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
NCAA - USC

Last edited by xboxxerx; 02-21-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

OVR: 7

I started my head coaching job at San Jose State. My alma mater is Michigan State and since San Jose State were the Spartans too, I thought why not? However, they were coming off a 11-2 season right before I got there so I had big shoes to fill. I went 9-4 the first year, beating a ranked Stanford team and won in the Hawaii bowl.

2nd year I got a heartbreaking loss to Boise State in the Mountain West Championship and got beat in the Hawaii bowl, went 9-5.

3rd year I went 10-3 but my division was stacked and San Diego State went on to the Championship and I went to the Poinsettia Bowl and lost. I kept declining SJSU's contract extension because I secretly was waiting for Bret Bielema to get fired from Arkansas so I could take his spot. I turned down Auburn and even coordinating jobs from Texas A&M and Oregon.

4th year I went 12-2, finally got my Mountain West Championship, went on to the Rose Bowl and got demolished by Oregon. I believe I got Coach of the year too. Finally Bielema got fired and now I'm at Arkansas and I'm currently 1-1. I like the change. San Jose was nice but I couldn't consistently land the big name recruits and I felt like the Rose Bowl was the best I was going to get with that team. I'm happy at Arkansas and I'm ready to turn them around.

Edit: I'm now 1-3 with Arkansas and it's beginning to get frustrating. I did have a tough 4 games, playing #2 Ohio State, #12 Florida and #10 Arizona all on the road. Bret also didn't recruit anyone remotely decent on defense because they're struggling. Also my offense isn't as powerful as it was at San Jose. It's becoming work to score

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Central Michigan Chippewas (College I'm Attending)

Last edited by SpartyParty11; 02-21-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDMercer
Bro that was a great read...Has there been a thread created already dedicated to Your Coaching Career???...If not THERE SHOULD BE...I love this kind of stuff and reading about what others are thinking when they make moves and are waiting for what they think could be their dream job opening...Great stuff
Unfortunately, I haven't really been keeping a thread for it. I've always thought about doing it but with so many people on this site having threads dedicated to their dynasty, I've always questioned whether my stories would be interesting enough to warrant the time I'd have to put into them. With that said, I do have a blog from a former Dynasty that details a small recruiting experience. It caught on well in a thread so I posted it as a blog if you ever want to check it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »