Home

How do I stop Braxton Miller?

This is a discussion on How do I stop Braxton Miller? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17
How do I stop Braxton Miller?

Can't stop him to save my life...If I blitz it lives a guy open, if I cover all my guys he takes off...I've QB spyed DE's and linebackers and he still runs around the end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: How do I stop Braxton Miller?

I always user MLB#1 (I play 3-4) and if I'm playing a scrambler I have him as a spy on any play where I think he might pass. I do this by either calling a play with a spy or I'll hot route my MLB if he's blitzing or in a hook zone. I'll occasionally have a DL spy, but it's almost always my usered MLB. I have very average stick skills (and possibly even below average) but it's still very rare for a scrambling QB to get by my spy (user controlled as CPU controlled spies wait WAY too long to react). If the QB scrambles a lot I'll lead the team in tackles and TFLs as I meet the QB near the LOS (sometimes 2-3 yards behind it, sometimes 1-2 yards past it) almost every time.

As soon as you see him tuck the ball, go get him. It's really that simple.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

Use the strategies in your Playcall menu (L1/LB) turn Option Defense to aggressive and QB contain as well.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
Use the strategies in your Playcall menu (L1/LB) turn Option Defense to aggressive and QB contain as well.
I do that too and it still dosen't help
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Just started!

OVR: 0

I'll occasionally have a DL spy, but it's almost always my usered MLB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

I sometimes squeeze the DL and then route the DE's to the outside. Corner blitzes help control it as well. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

For any option running team with a fast QB (Miller, Manziel, Mariota), I move my best safety or fastest safety to MLB in a 4-3... and usually keep him as a spy in most obvious passing defenses.

Any time I see a RB out of a shotgun, not the Pistol, I take the DE on the side of the RB and run him up field towards the QB to force a handoff to the RB each time... thus limiting the option read to the RB only. (on a side note, sometimes the CPU will force your DE to the RB because the game is stupid like that, thus giving the QB an easy running route... it gets annoying and will happen at least 1-2 times a game).

Out of the pistol, it's a guessing game, so you just have to take your chances guessing which DE will be left open to the option read.

The Safety now playing LB should hopefully be a bit faster than your MLB... depending on your team, in some cases he will be, in some cases he won't. Having a fast, sure tackling player in the middle prevents a number of scrambles out of good coverage pass plays. The faster the spy, the faster they will cut off scrambles.

Another side note... most right hand throwing QB's will scramble to the right majority of the time. If he's going to scramble, there is a higher chance of him going right.

I also avoid too many stunt or crash D'line calls. They tend to open up bigger holes for him to run through. If I am going to crash or stunt, it should come from the left side so that the right side doesn't have a gap between the DE and DT.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoco11
For any option running team with a fast QB (Miller, Manziel, Mariota), I move my best safety or fastest safety to MLB in a 4-3... and usually keep him as a spy in most obvious passing defenses.

Any time I see a RB out of a shotgun, not the Pistol, I take the DE on the side of the RB and run him up field towards the QB to force a handoff to the RB each time... thus limiting the option read to the RB only. (on a side note, sometimes the CPU will force your DE to the RB because the game is stupid like that, thus giving the QB an easy running route... it gets annoying and will happen at least 1-2 times a game).

Out of the pistol, it's a guessing game, so you just have to take your chances guessing which DE will be left open to the option read.

The Safety now playing LB should hopefully be a bit faster than your MLB... depending on your team, in some cases he will be, in some cases he won't. Having a fast, sure tackling player in the middle prevents a number of scrambles out of good coverage pass plays. The faster the spy, the faster they will cut off scrambles.

Another side note... most right hand throwing QB's will scramble to the right majority of the time. If he's going to scramble, there is a higher chance of him going right.

I also avoid too many stunt or crash D'line calls. They tend to open up bigger holes for him to run through. If I am going to crash or stunt, it should come from the left side so that the right side doesn't have a gap between the DE and DT.
Are you not aware that you can tell your read guy to always go for the QB, forcing him to give the the HB? This way you won't have to manually control the read guy, guess who the read guy is, and he'd force the handoff 100% of the time.

I don't do this as it makes the option WAY too easy to stop, but to each their own. Just set your option gameplanning to aggressive and the read will always be to hand off.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »