Home

Playbook Talk

This is a discussion on Playbook Talk within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #49
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Playbook Talk

speaking of defensive PBs, what do you guys normally use? I typically just go with a 4-3 because I find it too difficult to recruit for a 3-4 or 3-3-5. Hard to find those pass rushing LBs and I sim some games so I don't want to convert DEs to LB and have their ovr be really low and the sim engine have them play terrible because of that.

I use to run a 4-2-5 in past games but I have heard some people say they feel that the pass defense is just worse for whatever reason when using it. Once again a 4-3 does just seem much easier to recruit for as I have an easier time finding good speed LBs than I do finding two solid strong safeties to start. Does anyone use this PB and if so how does it work out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlacher51
I started a Kansas dynasty and im loving their pro style playbook, I've also tried and liked Boise State and San Diego State pro style playbooks. I have always been more of a spread option type offensive guy. This is a good change up for me.
I'm considering starting up an SDSU PB. the thing is I don't like the pro style offenses much so I was considering using pistol. I might have to take a look at their PB first though

Last edited by Robo COP; 05-31-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #50
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I went the opposite direction of Dr. Death with my CPBs. Mine are just about as full as they can be as I LOVE variety. My PB is a spread option pb with 28 formations (all SG) + 1 GL formation.

With the spread option overhaul they had this year the variety of plays is AMAZING! My pb has 86 options in it. In previous years these would've been spread among maybe 4 or 5 different types. In '14 however, there are a whopping 32!!! different types of options in my PB (and there are still more different types that I couldn't fit into my PB, IE off the top of my head there's the counter read option):
Spoiler

I've also got:
57 designed HB runs
14 designed QB runs
52 screens (again a BEAUTIFUL variety with):
Spoiler

33 PA passes
140 normal SG passes (again with TONS of variety)
With all of that, the different ways that I can attack a defense is pretty astounding.

On D I made a 3-4 CPB with every 3-4 formation and just about every play that doesn't rush more than 6 guys, both quarters, dollar, and 5 nickles (and I LOVE the 3-3-5 SAM nickle which gives me the nickle normal look, but, allows me to keep my 3-3-5 personnel since I usually only have 2-3 active DTs on my roster.
Jello (or any other spread-option guys in this thread), are you able to have your HB be your leading rusher? The CPU defense takes my HB the majority of the time on option plays and my QB is now my leading rusher. I'd like to get a little more balance to my offense so that my star-QB is not so susceptible to injury.

Do you have any suggestions on good HB runs I could look to add to my spread-option playbook? I like to stick to run plays that have play-action pass attached and run almost exclusively from 1 TE, 3 WR, 1 HB personnel.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #51
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I like the inside zone plays and buck sweeps. Most times the backside DE will still go through the read/react animations so I feel like (even if they aren't) they're tied to the option plays and give your QB a break while giving the RB more carries.

Inside zone
Buck sweep
Counter
HB sweep

Those are really the only run plays I run outside of the option. My QB has never lead my teams in rushing. Maybe a game or two, but definitely not often.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Last edited by TheShizNo1; 06-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 0

For me the inside zone Is a must run play in any playbook imo.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #53
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I like the inside zone plays and buck sweeps. Most times the backside DE will still go through the read/react animations so I feel like (even if they aren't) they're tied to the option plays and give your QB a break while giving the RB more carries.

Inside zone
Buck sweep
Counter
HB sweep

Those are really the only run plays I run outside of the option. My QB has never lead my teams in rushing. Maybe a game or two, but definitely not often.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help.

I have inside zone in most formations and use it as my quick formation audible if the defense is aligned to take away the option. I guess I need to focus on calling this a little more often to get the HB carries.

I like the HB counter out of the shotgun, but can't find a play-action pass the will link with it in any formation. I struggle a bit with normal drop-back passing so like to use play-action to take deep shots.

I like the Buck Sweep Read Option so I'll look to add the Buck Sweep as long as I can find a play-action to link with it.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #54
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
Jello (or any other spread-option guys in this thread), are you able to have your HB be your leading rusher? The CPU defense takes my HB the majority of the time on option plays and my QB is now my leading rusher. I'd like to get a little more balance to my offense so that my star-QB is not so susceptible to injury.

Do you have any suggestions on good HB runs I could look to add to my spread-option playbook? I like to stick to run plays that have play-action pass attached and run almost exclusively from 1 TE, 3 WR, 1 HB personnel.
I guess it depends on how you call plays. In my offense my RB leads the team in rushing ATTEMPTS, but my QB leads the team in rushing YARDS. I run a lot of inside zone plays with my RB, but I'll pull out the read option every few plays. They usually have the same amount of carries per game, but the QB will have 50+ more yards. I guess the read option is just that open when I run it.

I run a lot of dive plays, sweeps, screen passes to the RB/FB. A counter every now & then. Most of my RB's carries come out of dive plays, so I guess you could do that. A sweep or two maybe, with a RB or a WR. I usually run w/ my QB out of just the read option, so run less of those. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Dynasty Stops:
1. Tulane Green Wave
2. UAB Blazers
3. Wichita State Shockers

Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr HAM 101 (friend me/message me!)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #55
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

anyone have any suggestions/playbooks/plays on getting your HB more involved in the passing game outside of just screen passes? I can never seem to get much production from my HB in that regard. Typically the routes they run out of the backfield are gobbled up by either a safety coming in on man coverage or a CB in the flats who just tackles him for a loss/no gain. I guess my only solution right now is to actually motion him out of the backfield

I took over Idaho and I have a young RB with some great catching ability so I would actually like to use it rather than seeing it go to waste
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #56
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
anyone have any suggestions/playbooks/plays on getting your HB more involved in the passing game outside of just screen passes? I can never seem to get much production from my HB in that regard. Typically the routes they run out of the backfield are gobbled up by either a safety coming in on man coverage or a CB in the flats who just tackles him for a loss/no gain. I guess my only solution right now is to actually motion him out of the backfield

I took over Idaho and I have a young RB with some great catching ability so I would actually like to use it rather than seeing it go to waste
There are some shotgun-empty formations with the HB in the slot you could look at. I also like the HB-Angle pass play. The TE runs a seam route trying to clear out the LBs hopefully leaving the HB open in the short-middle of the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »