Home

flashback to 1999

This is a discussion on flashback to 1999 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Rookie

allconsoles's Arena

OVR: 5
flashback to 1999

Waiting for release of ncaa football so I could chime in on ncaa strategies.com and operation sports was in its infancy at that point what are some of your recollections in what would have been post launch week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: flashback to 1999

I really didn't get into the NCAA series until the PS2 era, I guess summer of 2001. NCAA Football 2002 came out on PS2 and it really took the series to a whole new level. Not just the graphics, which was a huge step-up from the PS1, but also the physics and controls with that brand new left analog stick.

What I remember about those days was just how much the product got everyone pumped for the season. In that month before the season started, you could name and update the rosters, play through some matches from the upcoming season, and just get to know each team and try to learn each team's strengths and weaknesses from the ratings in the game.

By the time the season started, you knew the star players and it was just awesome. I don't think it is coincidence that some of the best college football was during those first few years of PS2 NCAA games. The experience of playing those games and watching a season unfold was second to none. If your team lost in real life, you could fire up the PS2 and make the team you wanted to win win in the game. The jump from PS1 to PS2 in NCAA games was so huge, I don't think we have seen anything as revolutionary as what it was like playing that first PS2 NCAA game. I think it really helped promote the product and got a lot of the younger generation at that time in to college football.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: flashback to 1999

I still have NCAA 99 and play it from time-to-time. Kind of fun to look back at a different era and see how much it has changed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »