Home

The AI just refuses to run the ball

This is a discussion on The AI just refuses to run the ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Rookie

cms186's Arena

OVR: 0
The AI just refuses to run the ball

ive tried everything i can think of, ive changed the coach sliders to be as close to 50-50 for run/pass plays as possible ( for HC, OC and DC ) ive made it so my DBs are awesome in pass coverage but my D-Line is awful at run blocking. Im playing against OU, ive picked off Trevor Knight 4 times and hes currently 13 for 29 with 84 yds yet they've run the ball 11 times and most of those have been undesigned scrambles, they refuse to run the ball, its broken!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

Re: The AI just refuses to run the ball

Play Army. Come back and tell me what happens.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I just played Northwestern a couple of days ago and they threw one pass against me in the 2nd quarter. It's not broken.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsguru11
Play Army. Come back and tell me what happens.
Playing Army has nothing to do with his concern of teams like OU not running the ball and no need for the condescending remark.

To answer the OP's questions, you need to check the run/pass ratios of the coaches. Some teams have a higher pass than run ration and I have also noticed it does fluctuate from game to game.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Rookie

cms186's Arena

do they have a pass play in their playbook?

The game that triggered this, i guess its a rant the game ended with 16 rushing attempts to 37 passing attempts ( of which only 18 were completed ), 5 of those "rushes" were sacks, another 7 were QB scrambles, that means there was a grand total of 4 rushes with the RB. This was the 8th game in my schedule, of those, these are the amount of designed RB rushing plays called in each game (i dont have the individual player stats for the FCS game, so that includes QB scrambles too):

vs SMU: 5 ( from a total of 73 plays )
vs FCS: 12 ( from a total of 64 plays )
vs BUF: 13 ( from a total of 62 plays )
vs WVU: 6 ( from a total of 58 plays )
vs KSU: 13 ( from a total of 49 plays )
vs ISU: 17 ( from a total of 63 plays )
vs KU: 6 ( from a total of 83 plays )
vs OU: 4 ( from a total of 53 plays )

Total so far: 76 from a total of 505 (15%)

At least half of those games ( probably the FCS game too, but i cant back that up ) feature grossly underused running backs, arguably from the 4 teams that have better/equal RBs compared to their QBs.

The WVU game in particular is very strange, the other 3 games are ones i dominated, winning by large margins and can understand that the opposition needed to air it out a bit more to try and get back in the game ( though not to that extent ) but in the WVU game, i was behind and struggling almost from the start, they took a quick 13-0 lead in the first quarter and were winning 30-14 at the half, i only took the lead late in the 4th and ended up needing a last second TD to win it, if they had run the ball in the 2nd half, they would have ate some clock and maybe won the game, they have a RB rated the same OVR as their QB but barely used him, their scores werent from passing much either, one TD was a KR, 1 was a 35yd QB scramble where i missed a tackle and the other was from a very short field off a turnover, it just makes no sense!

Last edited by cms186; 08-22-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Rookie

cms186's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
Playing Army has nothing to do with his concern of teams like OU not running the ball and no need for the condescending remark.

To answer the OP's questions, you need to check the run/pass ratios of the coaches. Some teams have a higher pass than run ration and I have also noticed it does fluctuate from game to game.
ive done that, at the start of the season, i went through all the HC/OC/DCs in the big 12 and my 2 OOC opponents ( obviously cant do the FCS ones ) changed all their sliders to 50/50 ( or as close as they would get ) and subs frequency to max, its frustrating because im winning, recruiting great, its just the AI is making the games unrealistic
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Don't want to come off the wrong way guys but if you don't start editing your own rosters and playbooks then your not going to get the game experience your desiring.

I'm not saying the game is going to be perfect after you made changes but it's a better overall experience then settling on EA's default gameplay.

You really need to go into the coachong sliders and set the teams up the way you want them play/call plays.

I can understand not wanting to re-edit players because there's over 7500 players in the game.

But the coaching sliders takes about 30 minutes to an hour to adjust the teams playbooks.

If you want more running plays to be honest with you the game does a great job if you set the run ratio to 70% of higher with conservative play calling and No huddle offense.

Even at 70% or higher the CPU will still throw the ball but it won't be a high number of attempts.

For example using a classic roster file i've created in a recent game vs SMU where i set their Run/pass ratio to 70/30 they ran the ball out of the option offense 33 times and threw it only 18 times.

If you want SMASH MOUTH Football I would give the CPU Run Ratio 80% or higher

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 08-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Playmakers, you think we could potentially start a thread to determine the coaching sliders for all teams as well as setting their run/pass ratio? That way we could get others involved in figuring out the best setting for coaches to get the desired play style.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »