Home

How To Stop the Hail Mary

This is a discussion on How To Stop the Hail Mary within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How To Stop the Hail Mary

Does anyone have a tip on how to stop it when playing against the CPU? It seems every time I play against it they always throw a successful Hail Mary pass at the end of the half or the game and they always catch it (and on one occasion, score) no matter how many defenders are around the receiver. It should be darn near impossible for a receiver to catch a Hail Mary pass when ther are four defenders around and everyone is jumping for the ball.

I always use the 3 Quarters Deep Prevent formation when I know the CPU is going that route. Is there something better?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: How To Stop the Hail Mary

Sometimes I do 3 Deep Man Up from the same formation because with Prevent you still have a couple of guys in an underneath zone who are useless since they always throw deep. That way it is 7 defenders against 4 receivers (if the TE gets over by the time they throw). I also make sure to shade the safeties towards the side they are throwing (the side with 3 receivers). I've allowed a couple of useless completions before halftime and one game-winner (the throw was short but they still managed to score) but I would say it results in an incompletion or pick at least 90% of the time.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Rookie

Always use 3 deep formation man up like kfitz says. You then have man d on every receiver, plus a safety roaming in each third of the field. You will at least have double coverage on any player who is targeted if not triple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Touchdown_USA
Does anyone have a tip on how to stop it when playing against the CPU? It seems every time I play against it they always throw a successful Hail Mary pass at the end of the half or the game and they always catch it (and on one occasion, score) no matter how many defenders are around the receiver. It should be darn near impossible for a receiver to catch a Hail Mary pass when ther are four defenders around and everyone is jumping for the ball.

I always use the 3 Quarters Deep Prevent formation when I know the CPU is going that route. Is there something better?
I almost never have a Hail Mary completed against me. When I know a Hail Mary is coming I'll play the prevent D like you do (which I think has 6 deep zones). The only thing I do is I shade the zones to the side with the 3 WRs (I think it's "Y" and then "RS" left/right. This works well to get the defenders moved over to where the ball is going to go.

I have a house rule where I'm not allowed to switch defenders and then user catch (because it's stupidly easy to get picks that way) but if you don't have this rule you could switch defenders when the ball was in the air and try to swat the ball. Given how well my guys defend the ball anyway I probably wouldn't bother even if I was allowed.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Rookie

Thanks guys this has been helpful. I will definitely try the play that was suggested.

I don't really have house rules at the moment as I'm still working to find the right combination, however on defense I usually work as the right end and let my guys get after the ball so I haven't tinkered too much with switching players during a play with the exception of helping with tackling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

u guys should have given these tips to the usc db's
Old 10-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Rookie

CzarOfFootball's Arena

Does anyone have all of the uniform packs for NCAA Football 14 on the PS3?
Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Rookie

CzarOfFootball's Arena

Try to receiver lock on TE's and the two key WR and set your defense on the dime and spread you secondary out. Have your best pass rusher shadow where ever the ball is going and make sure your Dline is delivering the pressure on your d pad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »