Home

I am incredibly bad at pass defense NCAA 14 (Need help/tips)

This is a discussion on I am incredibly bad at pass defense NCAA 14 (Need help/tips) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Title explains itself. My run defense is good except against the option and nobody in my online dynasty runs the option. I am particularly interested in how to shut down tight ends who run deep ins, posts, and corner routes. I got beat in my conference championship by my friend whose tight end had 15 catches. I run a 4-2-5 fyi, but willing to switch to 4-3 or any other defense. 4-3 would be the easiest transition for my players. My gamertag is Hijjake on 360 so send me a friend request and we could do an unranked match and scrimmage to go over some stuff. Any help would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: I am incredibly bad at pass defense NCAA 14 (Need help/tips)

The main thing that works is manually covering the tight end/middle of the field. If you don't, 9 times out of 10, the middle of the field is going to be left open by your middle linebacker.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 10-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
The main thing that works is manually covering the tight end/middle of the field. If you don't, 9 times out of 10, the middle of the field is going to be left open by your middle linebacker.
So would you recommend manually using the middle linebacker? Or using someone else? I have a problem with my 90+ overall corners not being able to cover guys one on one also...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Here's a little background on me. It's not bragging (as I don't think I'm all that good and I know I have bad stick skills), its just me telling the facts. Over on TSO I was in one of the premiere dynasties for the last 4 or 5 years (since '10 i think) and no one won more national titles than I did (and we had 12 guys 95% of the time). I ran a spread option attack which was good, but my calling card was always defense. I don't think I ever won a title where I didn't have one of the best defenses in the country. I know this isn't because I'm sick on the sticks with my user controlled defender (because I'm not and there are at least 7 of the 11 other guys that are better). It's because of my defensive scheme and my play calling.

Anywho, I always run a 3-4 scheme. I prefer this because you can rush 3 and cover 8 when you want. More importantly when you rush 4 or 5 (which I do probably 65% of the time that 4th and 5th rusher can come from anywhere in the front 7 so it's not nearly as predictable as a 4 man front. This is good against the CPU, but its great against users.

1 thing that really differentiates me from the vast majority of people I've played is that most play predominantly man. I think that most people even feel that zones are broken. I play zone probably 80-85% of the time. I just laugh at people who cry about ins, outs, corners, and curls as there are zone coverages that can stop any of those.

I recruit great LBs so I generally don't match personnel and go 1 less than my opponent (IE base 3-4 against 3 wide, nickle against 4 wide, etc). I usually have no issues with a LB covering a slot WR in zone. If I played man mostly I might not feel this way.

I love the 3-4 because they have great zone coverages and there's TONS of variety. IE in my 3-4s I have 6 different cover 2s (and that doesn't count any cover 2 sinks, of which there are 2 or maybe even 3 varieties). They've all got 2 deeps and 2 flats, but some rush 3, some rush 4, some have 2 buzzes, some have 1 buzz, and some have no buzzes. And that's just cover 2s!!! 3-4s also have some really awesome and creative zone blitzes.
By mixing up your zone coverages you can keep your opponent guessing. I mix in man coverage from time to time (mainly as a change of pace to keep them guessing, but almost all of my INTs come from zones.

I'm also fairly conservative on D. I usually rush at least 4, but I rarely rush 5 or 6, VERY rarely rush 7, and I don't even have any engage 8s in my CPB. There's also a 3-4 (over ED) which has a 4-3 look (with 3-4 personnel) that has an AWESOME cover 3 with 2 buzzes instead of flats and 3 very nice zone blitzes that are AWESOME for stopping options.

Also, 3-4 odd has 3 awesome cover 3s, cover 3 sink, cover 3 buzz, and a man coverage with 3 deep zones.

Oh yeah, I always control MLB1 on D.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-15-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Here's a little background on me. It's not bragging (as I don't think I'm all that good and I know I have bad stick skills), its just me telling the facts. Over on TSO I was in one of the premiere dynasties for the last 4 or 5 years (since '10 i think) and no one won more national titles than I did (and we had 12 guys 95% of the time). I ran a spread option attack which was good, but my calling card was always defense. I don't think I ever won a title where I didn't have one of the best defenses in the country. I know this isn't because I'm sick on the sticks with my user controlled defender (because I'm not and there are at least 7 of the 11 other guys that are better). It's because of my defensive scheme and my play calling.

Anywho, I always run a 3-4 scheme. I prefer this because you can rush 3 and cover 8 when you want. More importantly when you rush 4 or 5 (which I do probably 65% of the time that 4th and 5th rusher can come from anywhere in the front 7 so it's not nearly as predictable as a 4 man front. This is good against the CPU, but its great against users.

1 thing that really differentiates me from the vast majority of people I've played is that most play predominantly man. I think that most people even feel that zones are broken. I play zone probably 80-85% of the time. I just laugh at people who cry about ins, outs, corners, and curls as there are zone coverages that can stop any of those.

I recruit great LBs so I generally don't match personnel and go 1 less than my opponent (IE base 3-4 against 3 wide, nickle against 4 wide, etc). I usually have no issues with a LB covering a slot WR in zone. If I played man mostly I might not feel this way.

I love the 3-4 because they have great zone coverages and there's TONS of variety. IE in my 3-4s I have 6 different cover 2s (and that doesn't count any cover 2 sinks, of which there are 2 or maybe even 3 varieties). They've all got 2 deeps and 2 flats, but some rush 3, some rush 4, some have 2 buzzes, some have 1 buzz, and some have no buzzes. And that's just cover 2s!!! 3-4s also have some really awesome and creative zone blitzes.
By mixing up your zone coverages you can keep your opponent guessing. I mix in man coverage from time to time (mainly as a change of pace to keep them guessing, but almost all of my INTs come from zones.

I'm also fairly conservative on D. I usually rush at least 4, but I rarely rush 5 or 6, VERY rarely rush 7, and I don't even have any engage 8s in my CPB. There's also a 3-4 (over ED) which has a 4-3 look (with 3-4 personnel) that has an AWESOME cover 3 with 2 buzzes instead of flats and 3 very nice zone blitzes that are AWESOME for stopping options.

Also, 3-4 odd has 3 awesome cover 3s, cover 3 sink, cover 3 buzz, and a man coverage with 3 deep zones.

Oh yeah, I always control MLB1 on D.
You have sold me on running a 3-4 now haha. Are you having this success in 2014? I am only questioning you cuz you said since 2010 so I just want to clarify. Are you playing on 360? If so add my gamertag: hijjake

I would love to play a friendly game to exchange in game schemes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnaked
Are you having this success in 2014? I am only questioning you cuz you said since 2010 so I just want to clarify.
Yes. Between my ODs (which I don't play anymore) and my offline dynasty I've played 503 dynasty games of NCAA '14.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Rookie

How many pre-snap adjustments do you make? I just played a game online against a guy who kept bringing his tight end across the middle and rolling out to that side. His tight end was running short/medium length crossing routes and I was running cover 2 sink a lot, but that did not seem to be working because his tight end would just run through the zones. I tried to follow him with my MLB but it was not working
Old 10-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnaked
How many pre-snap adjustments do you make? I just played a game online against a guy who kept bringing his tight end across the middle and rolling out to that side. His tight end was running short/medium length crossing routes and I was running cover 2 sink a lot, but that did not seem to be working because his tight end would just run through the zones. I tried to follow him with my MLB but it was not working
Cover 1 or Robber could possibly slow this down. Even the Cover 3 in the 3-3-5 nickel package

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »