Home

Matchup Stick

This is a discussion on Matchup Stick within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Matchup Stick

Do you guys think they should have come up with a different implementation for checking whether a player is rattled? Overall, I like the idea. However, I think its too simple to just flick the matchup stick and see that a guy is rattled. I know this isn't "real" football, but in reality you have to sort of read a guy to determine if you "think" he's rattled. Maybe they should have added in subtle animations (nothing overt) or something to possibly show if they are rattled. I think checking how rattled a player could be during a big game should be part of the initial scouting of a team.

As I said before, I like the whole new idea. I just think it become a method of "possible" cheesing. For instance, you're on offense. You flick the matchup stick and see that a corner is rattled. You immediately match your best wr on him and keep taking advantage. I know many of you will say sub him and I agree. But, I just think its a too easy to just toggle up the composure and get a reading on a player.

What are your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Matchup Stick

Yeah, The guy might look composed but if he's been burned or whatnot when the play starts he'll start second guessing himself. Either way, it's not like the QB can go ok, that guy is good, good, he's screwed, good, ok, we go after the guy pissing himself...

I really see this being a problem online. I can just see players screwing around and only throwing against the same guy all game. Of course, it might not be as big a problem as I think it could be.

It would be better if you could only see your team. The QB would probably have an idea of who's hot/not from the huddle......
Old 05-15-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

The QB doesn't usually make the calls as far as who is rattled, etc as far as I know. Offensive coordinators up in the press box can determine who is composed or not more easily than one would one guess. They then call the plays that will take advantage of it. Remember, you are the quarterback, head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and athletic director all at the same time, so you have to look at from every perspective.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

shortsoldier said:
The QB doesn't usually make the calls as far as who is rattled, etc as far as I know. Offensive coordinators up in the press box can determine who is composed or not more easily than one would one guess. They then call the plays that will take advantage of it. Remember, you are the quarterback, head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and athletic director all at the same time, so you have to look at from every perspective.

I agree that a coordinator could make a "guess" at one's composure. But, I just think knowing 100% that a guy is rattled because the matchup stick says it is a little too simplistic. I would rather them throw in animations where guys start to react or show emotion. For example, wr starts looking at his hands after drops or players pointing at themselves and shaking their heads, etc. to tip you off on their composure. Subtle things of that nature that one would actually pick up on.

But i'm not knocking their idea, because of course i haven't played the game. Just throwing my thoughts out there.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

While it's true that the O coordinator/coaches/whoever will make these "guesses" at who's rattled, it shouldn't be as easy as looking inside their head. I think a better way would be if you've beat him several times before then assume he might be rattled. Something like that. For instance, the AI does occasionally screw up in games in 2004. You'll see a guy break straight down the field and the safety has decided to cover someone else. If something like that happened I can bet that it was probably the safety or CB who blew that assignment. Therefore, I should assume they may be rattled. I should'nt be able to ask them if they're rattled or not, which is essentially what I fear the matchup stick will do. I like the idea of composure, I just think that more or less asking the other team which player is pissing themself is sort of weird....
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »