Home

The end of the "cheese"....

This is a discussion on The end of the "cheese".... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
The end of the \"cheese\"....

OR, a more realistic playing game of NCAA.

I can't fault the cheesers. It's in the game. They're aren't cheating exactly, but they're definately exploiting weaknesses in the game that allow you to do completely unrealistic things.

First off, one thing that really gets to me is the ability to cut on a dime. Apparently this has been removed. There was nothing more annoying than trying to catch a fast player. You're about to smack him from the side and you're both running full sprint. Suddenly, he stops on a dime, you fly by and he takes off again. That apparently has been fixed.

Calling a play from one formation audibling to a different formation on the way to the line. Something completely different. When people call 5 wide and then line up goalline it really gets to me. Not that I can't stop it but I hate playing that sort of game.

Getting to the line and calling audibles in rapid fire mode where your players are all just running around trying to match up with his bull**** style of play. Apparently, it will now take some time to call the audible just as in real life. This should put more emphasis on play calling rather than on who can press buttons the fastest.

And on and on.....

I just get teh feeling that this year's online offering will be a much better experience than it was last year. Year by year EA is removing things that players exploit. And honestly, they're starting to run out of ways to be a total jackass online. I'm sure players will still find ways to exploit things and whatnot, but at least the things that annoy me the most seem to be taken care of.

Thoughts, comments, flaming welcome......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: The end of the \"cheese\"....

Totally agree. In fact, it seems that online play really helps in the development of videogames, because the glaring weaknesses of the games are exploited and complained about constantly.

Good luck trying to get someone to play on the road, though.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Hopefully they stopped people from subbing in wide receiviers to play quarterback.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

it all depends on the WR. some WR have QB experience.
for instance when i use UVA and i keep getting a huge pass rush because Schaub can't run, i sub in Marques Hagans at QB, even though he's WR #18 on the game. he was their back-up QB and he's starting this season.

if u're unfamiliar with the team don't jump to conclusions, on the other hand, it's too easy to beat someone without a half decent QB, UVA's LB's are so fast that they can run down almost everyone and the WR's can't throw, so it'll catch up with them
Old 05-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Rookie

GoBigOrange's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:

If u're unfamiliar with the team don't jump to conclusions.

He didnt go into specific teams, so there is no need to think that he "was jumping to conclusions."

There is a huge difference between subbing in a WR for a QB for a play or two, or maybe even a whole series. Where I have a problem with it is when a WR takes every snap.

This wouldn't be as big of a problem as it was in '04 if the WR were not so accurate with their passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #6
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

OVR: 12

I had an experience of this but it was with the computer. I was playing on AA and though I dont recall the teams I remember the situation well.

The computers team had three quarterbacks get injured and out for the entire game. Since they only had three they put in a wide receiver. I remember thinking, "great, now I should be able to get some picks". The computer didn't even try to use the guy to run, they threw for over 300 yards and 4 TD's... I was disgusted. I was shutting down there three regular qb's then this wr comes in and lights it up, all with his arm.

I know there are situations where this has a chance of happenening, but its VERY unlikely. Computer got Cheese Ball award for that one.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

studman said:
for instance when i use UVA and i keep getting a huge pass rush because Schaub can't run, i sub in Marques Hagans at QB, even though he's WR #18 on the game. he was their back-up QB and he's starting this season.

That's fine, but the problem is that, in the game, the receivers generally have much higher speed and agility ratings than the QBs. Combine that with the ability to stop on a dime and switch direction, and it's impossible to contain the WRs.

It has nothing to do with whether the WR has QB experience in real life; it has everything to do with the way the game is designed.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

studman said:

if u're unfamiliar with the team don't jump to conclusions, on the other hand, it's too easy to beat someone without a half decent QB, UVA's LB's are so fast that they can run down almost everyone and the WR's can't throw, so it'll catch up with them

Well, I'm glad your so good at the game that you can shutdown the wide receivers at QB. For me, it really doesn't matter whether I can stop it or not, I don't want to play a game where I'm just trying to stop a speedy wide receiver from running the option every play, especially when they are able to pass pretty good too. Adjusting the ratings wouldn't make to much of a difference either, because the biggest problem with putting a wide out in at QB would be there decision making, and if your controlling him, there's no difference.

And I don't remember assuming anything about any team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »