Home

What are some good 4th down house rules?

This is a discussion on What are some good 4th down house rules? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What are some good 4th down house rules?

So I'm in the seventh year of my dynasty and I finally won the National Championship with my Memphis Tigers (after losing our first appearance the previouse year). Its been a very challenging game on Heisman settings and now I'm looking to challengne myself with 4th down attemp restrictions. I go for it on fourth ALOT with 6-7 yards to go vs. the cpu and my coversion rate is prolly +80% because I have like two go to plays the cpu to hardly ever stop. I wanna stop this and go more sim style this season.

What rules would you suggest?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What are some good 4th down house rules?

Kick the ball
Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

The most obvious rule would be to stop using money plays, regardless of down (if the cpu can hardly ever stop it, it's a money play).

Also mix up your play calling. I don't allow myself to run any play more than once per drive.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 12-10-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Never go for a 4th down unless you are down late in the 4th or inside the 5 yard line.

I only call slants or read plays on 1st down, if I call them at all.

Like Jello, I never call the same play twice a drive and I never call the same formation twice unless I need to change the tempo because my team is struggling.

If you are not in field goal range, down in the 4th, or inside the 5 then always punt like a real coach would do.

Last edited by jbrew2411; 12-10-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Eh, I don't think there's anything wrong with going for it on 4th down. That being said, you need to stop using money plays. If you'd not cheese and use money plays, you probably wouldn't convert these 4th downs at an 80%+ rate and you'd be bit in the rear if you continued to go for it on 4th down so much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree with this and not running any play more than once per drive sounds like a simple rule to keep from abusing the bread & butter plays.

For the last couple of seasons, I've taken the playcalling issue a step further, because I've been bad about repetitive play calling. I have been alphabetically going through all team's playbooks for each new game. (example, one game I'll use Ohio Bobcats playbook, then next game I have to use Ohio State's PB). I am also grading/rating how much I like each PB as I go, and when I make it all the way through all teams, I plan to use a system where I have to use a certain number of each of the "A" through "F" playbooks per season, but I can choose which games I use my "playbook cards". (not sure if that makes sense- I have it squared away in my head, but kinda hard to explain) I'll have to try it out and see how I like it. Really this is just another way to manage challenge level and keep things fresh.

Plus, going through all team's playbooks has introduced me to some really cool plays, and also many that I don't care for at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
The most obvious rule would be to stop using money plays, regardless of down (if the cpu can hardly ever stop it, it's a money play).

Also mix up your play calling. I don't allow myself to run any play more than once per drive.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 12-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I like that idea StoneCalf. I change my play book each season. I have 4 custom play books I use and always add/remove 5-10 formations each year to keep it fresh.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

Stop using money plays.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »