Home

Goaline/Redzone help

This is a discussion on Goaline/Redzone help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Goaline/Redzone help

Hey guys. I am currently putting the finishing touches on a custom playbook that I am really excited about. I am not talking about just adding a bunch of formations together, I actually crafted a scheme based on my football influences and what I would want to accomplish if I was an actual football coach, if the playbook needs to be labeled it is a triple option based running attack with an Air-Raid based passing game that I have set up allowing me to call almost all the plays in the playbook on the fly. PM me if you are at all interested.

Now to my problem. After several test games with my basic formations I have one weakness and that is in the redzone/at the goaline. Across 7 games with my current setup I am only converting a little over half of my redzone attempts (This is including field goals... touchdowns have been hard to come by) I attribute this mostly to the fact that I don't really have a short yardage and red zone package. I was looking for feedback from the community as to what there favorite goaline/redzone plays or formations are. I am not looking for just a set of money plays to score every-time but this is the last set of finishing touches I need to put on my scheme. Do not be afraid to think outside the box for recommendations and do not account personnel into the equation because I am just looking for idea.

Thank you for any and all help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Goaline/Redzone help

My CPB is a spread option PB w/ 4 pistols and about 22 SG formations. I only have 1 under center formation and it's the power-I formation with no WRs which I use as my goal line formation. I don't use it often (and never outside the 1 yard line) and it might not fit your scheme.

What I usually do is just run my normal offense when I'm in the redzone/near the goal line. I might come out in 12 personnel inside the 5 or I might be in 11 or 10 personnel. Then I just do what I always do which is to count the box. If I have as many blockers as they do, I'll run it (normally if it's an option I'll run it if they have +1 in the box, but I don't allow options inside the 10 yard line as a house rule). If they're stacking the box, then I'll pass it.

My redzone offense is usually pretty darn good without having to change up my packages just because I'm in the redzone. Don't be afraid to pass it if they stack the box (and since it sounds like you're half air raid I doubt that you're afraid to pass the ball).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
My CPB is a spread option PB w/ 4 pistols and about 22 SG formations. I only have 1 under center formation and it's the power-I formation with no WRs which I use as my goal line formation. I don't use it often (and never outside the 1 yard line) and it might not fit your scheme.

What I usually do is just run my normal offense when I'm in the redzone/near the goal line. I might come out in 12 personnel inside the 5 or I might be in 11 or 10 personnel. Then I just do what I always do which is to count the box. If I have as many blockers as they do, I'll run it (normally if it's an option I'll run it if they have +1 in the box, but I don't allow options inside the 10 yard line as a house rule). If they're stacking the box, then I'll pass it.

My redzone offense is usually pretty darn good without having to change up my packages just because I'm in the redzone. Don't be afraid to pass it if they stack the box (and since it sounds like you're half air raid I doubt that you're afraid to pass the ball).
Certainly appreciate the feedback! I Count the box every play and audible based on what I read. What I have discovered (not that it was an unknown but its what has caused me the most issues) is that my passing system is not well suited for these situations. The field is too short and the defenders are all closer together. The most success I had was with slants but I threw a costly pick 6 in my most recent game and want to add a little variety. I have experimented with the Power I (using my own Jumbo package... basically what Harbaugh/Roman do with extra lineman as fullbacks) I think that this will be added to my playbook for inches situations but if I am between the 3-15 I still will have a hard time punching it in. Do you have any pistol or shotgun formation recommendations, specifically ones that are 12, 13, 21, 22, personnel?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcst5
Certainly appreciate the feedback! I Count the box every play and audible based on what I read. What I have discovered (not that it was an unknown but its what has caused me the most issues) is that my passing system is not well suited for these situations. The field is too short and the defenders are all closer together. The most success I had was with slants but I threw a costly pick 6 in my most recent game and want to add a little variety. I have experimented with the Power I (using my own Jumbo package... basically what Harbaugh/Roman do with extra lineman as fullbacks) I think that this will be added to my playbook for inches situations but if I am between the 3-15 I still will have a hard time punching it in. Do you have any pistol or shotgun formation recommendations, specifically ones that are 12, 13, 21, 22, personnel?
I tend to have the same issues with my Power Spread playbook. Often it seems easier to score from 20 yards out than it does from 2 yards out.

If you're outside the 3 yard line, I find that most defenses play their base set against me, so I usually run a dive out of an 11 or 20 shotgun formation. If I'm within 3 yards, the defense plays their goalline D, which will blow up most of my read/triple option plays. Sometimes I'll run the same dives from the 11 or 20 shotgun formations, but if I go under center, it will be 23, 22, or 12 personnel. A HB blast, FB Dive or ocassional PA roll will often get me into the end zone.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30
I tend to have the same issues with my Power Spread playbook. Often it seems easier to score from 20 yards out than it does from 2 yards out.

If you're outside the 3 yard line, I find that most defenses play their base set against me, so I usually run a dive out of an 11 or 20 shotgun formation. If I'm within 3 yards, the defense plays their goalline D, which will blow up most of my read/triple option plays. Sometimes I'll run the same dives from the 11 or 20 shotgun formations, but if I go under center, it will be 23, 22, or 12 personnel. A HB blast, FB Dive or ocassional PA roll will often get me into the end zone.
THIS is typically what I encounter. Since my team is also option base the goaline D dominates me. I like the Idea of the power I as the short set. Maybe I will tinker with some of the shotgun formations for that no mans land between 3-5 yards out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
MVP

mjavon's Arena

Isn't there a Wishbone "Tight" type formation. This could give you a power running formation while retaining your triple option rushing attack identity. I don't typically run this kind of offense but I'm sure there has to be some good short yardage plays in there.

I run a spread offense and in short-yardage/goal line situations I almost always come out in a Shotgun set with two backs and two tight ends running the triple option. I have my audibles set up so I can change the play from running it to the left to the right OR a short pass from the same formation depending on how the D lines up.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

shotgun spread inside zone from the 5-10 once inside the five i always use an off tackle play from strong i because they are bunched up and i can hit the outside for the td
Old 12-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I run a pistol/shotgun only playbook with 0 under-center formations. I use the Pistol - Jumbo set for goaline situations inside the 5. I can normally run it in with the Power play simply outnumbering them to the strong side. If they are overloading where I want to run though, I will audible to HB Counter to run it the other direction, or throw it to my WR matched up 1-on-1 with the Slant-Flat play.
If I'm between the 5 and 10 yard-lines I'll go to 12 personnel still in shotgun/pistol sets and can run my base plays out of these sets and personnel. I'm able to do this because I've set up my playbook to run the same base plays/concepts out of 10, 11 and 12 personnel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »