Home

Noob questions

This is a discussion on Noob questions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Noob questions

Here are some questions by Blutarsky:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky
Noob to the game and these forums. If I have missed an FAQ or similar on this please direct me to it.

I am a little confused by the terminology I see and would like a clarification or two.

I would like to know the proper terms used for playing the game this way (all vs the computer, no h2h or online): I call the play, watch the result (I don't use the joystick), call next play, watch result etc..? Is this "Sim" ing? I have studied the slider threads and will the Community sliders work for this type of game?

When I use the controller to not only call plays, but to control a particular player, what is that referred to as? Are the community sliders appropriate for this type of game as well?

It won't let me start a thread, so I post the questions here, sorry if this is a breach of protocol on the forum.

Thank you.
Quote:
As a follow on, from reading the Community sliders thread, I cannot tell how most play the game. My goal is to get realism, as much as a I can, since I am terrible using the controller, the game turns on me hitting X or A or whatever, not whether I made a good play call or not. Is just calling the plays and watching the results a very uncommon (perhaps less fun) way to play? At my age I am not sure I will ever be able to work the controller well enough to make the game even remotely realistic. What do the vets here suggest? Thanks.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Re: Noob questions

Quote:
Noob to the game and these forums. If I have missed an FAQ or similar on this please direct me to it.

I am a little confused by the terminology I see and would like a clarification or two.

I would like to know the proper terms used for playing the game this way (all vs the computer, no h2h or online): I call the play, watch the result (I don't use the joystick), call next play, watch result etc..? Is this "Sim" ing? I have studied the slider threads and will the Community sliders work for this type of game?

When I use the controller to not only call plays, but to control a particular player, what is that referred to as? Are the community sliders appropriate for this type of game as well?

It won't let me start a thread, so I post the questions here, sorry if this is a breach of protocol on the forum.

Thank you.
The way you're playing is called "coach mode." There are 2 ways you can do this.
1. Play the game normally and just don't use the joystick (it sounds like you're doing it this way). If you do this, make sure to turn on the setting (it's w/ the other gameplay settings) for "auto pass." This way, your AI controlled QB will pass it for you.
2. Use the "coach mode" setting, which is the preferred way to play coach mode. When you're starting a game and you're on the screen that lets you select your playbooks there's another setting (I think it's probably called "game mode"). Change this to "coach mode" and then all you're even allowed to do is call plays.

Simming the game is either by simply advancing a week (in dynasty) and then letting the CPU sim it for you. Another version of simming is "supersimming" which is an option in game (from the main menu when you pause the game) where you can either sim a play, until the other team gets the ball, to the end of the quarter, end of the game, etc.

I'm not sure what sliders you'll want to try, but if you're just gonna play coach mode, there are sliders sets designed w/ coach mode only in mind.

When you use the controller, that's just playing the game normally.

Quote:
As a follow on, from reading the Community sliders thread, I cannot tell how most play the game. My goal is to get realism, as much as a I can, since I am terrible using the controller, the game turns on me hitting X or A or whatever, not whether I made a good play call or not. Is just calling the plays and watching the results a very uncommon (perhaps less fun) way to play? At my age I am not sure I will ever be able to work the controller well enough to make the game even remotely realistic. What do the vets here suggest? Thanks.
Most people play the game w/ the controller and move the players on their own. There are many, myself included, that prefer coach mode instead. I've played NCAA for many years and I've always controlled the players until this release. For the last 6 months or so I've played coach mode and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Being brand new to the game, there's another setting that's made specifically for you. While on the playbook select screen one of the settings besides "coach mode" is "1 button mode." W/ this setting you just push 1 button (probably "A" on 360) to do everything. Here are some examples of the differences:
1. Normally a runner can juke left, right, or back, spin, hurdle, etc. There's a different button for each of those. In 1 button mode, you simply push "A" and the game decides which move is most appropriate and then does it for you.
2. While passing you usually have 5 potential receivers. Normally you have to know which routes each guy is running and when they should be open. You need to read the defense to see which guy is open. You then need to push the correct 1 of 5 buttons for the receiver you want (which is displayed over his head anyway) and then push the button the correct way for the pass you want (hold it for a bullet pass, tap it for a lob pass, use the LS to lead him right, left, forward, or back).
In 1 button mode you simply push "A" and the game decides which receiver is the most open, and then throws the appropriate type of pass to that receiver.

If you would like to have some control over the game, I'd highly recommend 1 button mode. I've personally never used it, but it was made precisely for newcomers like yourself. Maybe after playing like that for a while you'd become comfortable enough to play on "normal" mode.

But like I said earlier, many people prefer coach mode and I personally will only play coach mode from now on, even with many years of experience on the sticks.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Oh yeah.

And if you're interested in learning to actually play the game, NCAA '14 has the "Nike Skills Trainer" mode which has a bunch of drills that help teach you how to play the game. They go from the very basic like "run the ball and juke this guy" to more complex things like reading the D on option plays.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Rookie

Blutarsky's Arena

OVR: 0

I have worked with the trainer some, and clearly could benefit from more.

I would appreciate it if someone could weigh in on the slider settings for the "coach mode" w/ no controller use.

Do most people create their own playbooks? With the play clock running, that is a very difficult time for me to sort through the plays. What is a good way to narrow it down? On both offense and defense, I know which formations and styles I like, would it be best to create a playbook with just those in it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
I have worked with the trainer some, and clearly could benefit from more.

I would appreciate it if someone could weigh in on the slider settings for the "coach mode" w/ no controller use.

Do most people create their own playbooks? With the play clock running, that is a very difficult time for me to sort through the plays. What is a good way to narrow it down? On both offense and defense, I know which formations and styles I like, would it be best to create a playbook with just those in it?

Thanks for the help.
1. You can turn the play clock off in one of the game menu setups. With the play clock off, you have all the time needed to select plays. When the play clock is off, the game clock will run off 30 seconds, then stop until you select a play and launch the play.

2. In Coach Mode, you must press the A Button on the 360 to snap the ball and kick the ball - otherwise, the CPU handles all action .

3. To use the formations and plays you like, create a custom playbook.

4. Sliders adjust groups of player ratings to influence the game play. There is no perfect set of sliders - experiment by making adjustments to see how they impact the game. Slider settings interact with game play Difficulty settings (Freshman, Varsity, etc.) and with Roster ratings, so expect to spend some time experimenting.

In general, work with the game - the game is deep and rich in features which provide many ways to play the game. Best away to learn is to just open the game and explore all the options in the various menus.

If you are on a 360 and have a hard drive, I recommend you install the game. If you purchased the game via download, it is already installed.

Last edited by Art01; 01-05-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add info
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Blutarsky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art01
1. You can turn the play clock off in one of the game menu setups. With the play clock off, you have all the time needed to select plays. When the play clock is off, the game clock will run off 30 seconds, then stop until you select a play and launch the play.

2. In Coach Mode, you must press the A Button on the 360 to snap the ball and kick the ball - otherwise, the CPU handles all action .

3. To use the formations and plays you like, create a custom playbook.

4. Sliders adjust groups of player ratings to influence the game play. There is no perfect set of sliders - experiment by making adjustments to see how they impact the game. Slider settings interact with game play Difficulty settings (Freshman, Varsity, etc.) and with Roster ratings, so expect to spend some time experimenting.

In general, work with the game - the game is deep and rich in features which provide many ways to play the game. Best away to learn is to just open the game and explore all the options in the various menus.

If you are on a 360 and have a hard drive, I recommend you install the game. If you purchased the game via download, it is already installed.
I have a fairly fast portable HD connected and have put it there.

Calling plays only isn't really a problem with the 30 second clock, it is with the controller use trying to see the routes and match up the A, B, RB, X, Y that it gets to be a time crunch. I have watched a 12 year old play the game, it is all instinctive second nature to him, so he doesn't have an issue, my slow brain and fingers are another story.

Re: the sliders. I just want to not make a big blunder using the Community sliders to start with, if they work well enough for the "coach mode" then they are fine, it just sounded like maybe they were only suited for the players who used the controller.

Thank you for your help, other input is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
MVP

whughes's Arena

If you want to play straight coach mode, where you select a play and then watch in unfold without controlling any of the players on the field these sliders have worked very well for me;

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-sliders.html

As for creating your own playbook that is completely up to you. I personally run a power run offense, I-form, wishbone, flexbone, etc. I started with the Georgia Tech offensive playbook and added/subtracted things as I progressed through the season. Some guys will sit down and make books completely from scratch, others like myself take a base playbook we know well and add plays we want that aren't in the book, and take out the plays we don't like.

I currently have about 85~ plays in my custom playbook and it makes it a lot easier to navigate through and find the plays i want, without wading through the plays i'll never call.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope i helped you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best i can.

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
Rookie

Blutarsky's Arena

It does help, thank you. I will look at those settings.

Check your PM when you can.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »