Home

Freak Recruits?

This is a discussion on Freak Recruits? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Freak Recruits?

My current tailback...

Stephen Diggs- 6'2" 225lbs- Senior(Rs)
99spd, 97agl, 99acc, 89trk, 82str

He is a 99ovr HB but he was an athlete I recruited to play safety. I didn't look at his ratings all that close as a freshman since I had 4 tailbacks at the time. I placed him at safety and red shirted him, but at seasons end I had lost all 4 tailbacks, 2 to the draft and 2 to transfer. So I was looking at my current recruits and I had some slower guys coming in but has looking for that game breaker. I was looking at moving a corner who was just fast with no real running back skills when I noticed Diggs. At that time his speed was a 95 and his acc was a 97 so it had me thinking. Then I looked at his coverage abilities that were in the high 60s to low 70s so it only made sense to move him over.

He has been a 4 year starter, won the 2025 Heisman, and is a lock to be a 1st round pick. The guy does not play as fast as the ratings would lead you to think but in open space he can run. He is great on kickoffs but not my best, that belongs to my #2 FS Alex Rivers.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Just started!

OVR: 0

This depends on your sliders, but having the ability to lead your receivers is nice.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
My current tailback...

He is a 99ovr HB but he was an athlete I recruited to play safety. I didn't look at his ratings all that close as a freshman since I had 4 tailbacks at the time. I placed him at safety and red shirted him, but at seasons end I had lost all 4 tailbacks, 2 to the draft and 2 to transfer. So I was looking at my current recruits and I had some slower guys coming in but has looking for that game breaker. I was looking at moving a corner who was just fast with no real running back skills when I noticed Diggs. At that time his speed was a 95 and his acc was a 97 so it had me thinking. Then I looked at his coverage abilities that were in the high 60s to low 70s so it only made sense to move him over.

He has been a 4 year starter, won the 2025 Heisman, and is a lock to be a 1st round pick. The guy does not play as fast as the ratings would lead you to think but in open space he can run. He is great on kickoffs but not my best, that belongs to my #2 FS Alex Rivers.
That's pretty sick I need to find a Stephen Diggs. I'm recruiting a 6 ft 220ish ATH with 95 speed and 66 strength. He can def play tailback
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnaked
That's pretty sick I need to find a Stephen Diggs. I'm recruiting a 6 ft 220ish ATH with 95 speed and 66 strength. He can def play tailback

I am currently recruiting to 94-95 speed athletes in my 1sy yr YSU dynasty. Currently the fastest guy on my team is 91 spd and I have a guy with 88 spd and 94 accel. Other then that my team is slow!!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:47 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
My current tailback...

Sounds like a real freak. I would have had a hard time not putting him at WR though. 99 speed means if he can get off the jam at the line he can get open deep all the time, and speed would come in to play more at that than anywhere else. I understand the roster situation though. If you have an RB with low 90's speed, he will generally be able to do all the things a guy with 99 speed can, since low 90's will still beat most of the defense to the edge on outside plays, and its rare that an RB gets into a race running up the middle. And crazy as it sounds, running up the middle with a guy with extreme speed can hurt you because you'll run right into tackers, whereas a slightly slower guy will give you more time to read the blocks and adjust. Catch ratings also really only matter when getting jump balls or when the receiver is taking a hit right after the ball getting there.

I had a WR who was a 99 speed. He easily won returner of the year rookie year, and was near impossible to cover on the outside.

Last edited by conception; 01-31-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have found that there are not any freak recruits in terms of OVR but rather "freak" recruits in terms of size. You will never find that freshman who after scouting is like a 90 overall as a freshman but in real life when I think of freak freshman I think of someone who would be able to start right away and be one of the top rated players on the team. This happens all the time in real life with very highly touted "freak" recruits ala fournette or henry as a freshman. However i will often find "freak" recruits like the 6'8 Speed TE's or many other high rated recruits with 6'7+ height like WR, DE, LB, even S. I have found so many guys like that but a few stand out.

DE 6'7 Patrick Young #1 DE in his class came in as like a 83 OVR with 80+ speed and accelaration and very good finesse and power moves. Was a 4 year starter in my florida team and broke basically all team records and NCAA single season, game and career record.

FS 6'7 Ian Mitchell #2 FS 82 OVR, this guy i just recently signed so havent had a chance to use him but he has 90 speed and very high in tackle and coverage, he should be fun to use
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception
Sounds like a real freak. I would have had a hard time not putting him at WR though. 99 speed means if he can get off the jam at the line he can get open deep all the time, and speed would come in to play more at that than anywhere else. I understand the roster situation though. If you have an RB with low 90's speed, he will generally be able to do all the things a guy with 99 speed can, since low 90's will still beat most of the defense to the edge on outside plays, and its rare that an RB gets into a race running up the middle. And crazy as it sounds, running up the middle with a guy with extreme speed can hurt you because you'll run right into tackers, whereas a slightly slower guy will give you more time to read the blocks and adjust. Catch ratings also really only matter when getting jump balls or when the receiver is taking a hit right after the ball getting there.

I had a WR who was a 99 speed. He easily won returner of the year rookie year, and was near impossible to cover on the outside.
I had him at SS during his red shirt year b/c I had a need there but I had another guy that was a 6'1" 215lbs corner that was a little slower then I like my corners. I moved him to SS at the end of the season so I could move Diggs. If I had moved him to receiver he would have been in low 70s but at tailback he has an 83. I still throw him the ball coming out of the back field in the flats. The funny thing is I was the OC at Georgia in my dynasty in year 3. I had a senior Todd Gurley who had ratings very close to Diggs. I love some of the guys you can find deeper in the dynasty mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
I had him at SS during his red shirt year b/c I had a need there but I had another guy that was a 6'1" 215lbs corner that was a little slower then I like my corners. I moved him to SS at the end of the season so I could move Diggs. If I had moved him to receiver he would have been in low 70s but at tailback he has an 83. I still throw him the ball coming out of the back field in the flats. The funny thing is I was the OC at Georgia in my dynasty in year 3. I had a senior Todd Gurley who had ratings very close to Diggs. I love some of the guys you can find deeper in the dynasty mode.
Sometimes I have to take OVR ratings with a grain of salt. We all know the most valuable asset an offensive player can have is speed and that when playing out the games you can minimize deficiencies in awareness and catching by proper usage and of course controlling him. I recently had a WR I started as a redshirt freshman who was rated somewhere like 70 but had 96 speed. I put him on the outside in every formation where he will basically run streak routes or hooks and where the catches he's asked to make won't be hotly contested. I had some drops with him but had a 1,300 yard season starting him over some slower, better overall rated receivers. I put my top receiver, a pretty fast guy who was a great route runner and had the ability to make people miss after the catch, and fed him the ball on most passes, but when my outside guy would get single coverage and could outrun the defender, boom.

That guy would play at his seventy rating if I put him inside or asked him to run a lot of routes over the middle, but knowing what I am using for, he is far better than 70.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »