Home

Coach Run/Pass Tendencies

This is a discussion on Coach Run/Pass Tendencies within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Coach Run/Pass Tendencies

I have run an experiment which confirms, to my satisfaction, that the Offense Run/Pass Tendency adjustment in the "Edit Coach" option is reversed.

My question is: Are the Defense Run/Pass Tendencies also reversed?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Coach Run/Pass Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art01
I have run an experiment which confirms, to my satisfaction, that the Offense Run/Pass Tendency adjustment in the "Edit Coach" option is reversed.

My question is: Are the Defense Run/Pass Tendencies also reversed?
The run/pass slider works correctly (I'm 99% sure and I've played this game a LOT). I think that you (like more than a few others) are simply reading the slider wrong.

I think people are somehow getting confused by the numbers. They see a run/pass slider that says 25/75 and think that means 25% run/75% pass.

If that's what you think it means then you're just reading it wrong. You need to look at the slider itself. The white part is mostly to the left (run). Also, you need to push left (towards run) on the D-pad in order to get the slider there. Maybe it'd be easier to envision the slider like this:

run XXX_________ pass

instead.

Whichever side the slider is on is the dominant side of their offense. The numbers simply give you a rough estimate of the percentages.

I can absolutely say that a team with a slider as shown above will run the ball the vast majority of the time (because the slider is moved way over towards the run side).

Also a coach with a slider like this:

will pass the vast majority of the time because the slider is moved way over to the pass side.

This absolutely works as intended.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 02-18-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Spoiler

Is this consistent with the Aggressive/Conservative scale? I was under the impression that 75% on Aggressive/Conservative meant more aggressive. If this is the case, there is some obvious confusing between the way the two scales operate.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30
Spoiler

Is this consistent with the Aggressive/Conservative scale? I was under the impression that 75% on Aggressive/Conservative meant more aggressive. If this is the case, there is some obvious confusing between the way the two scales operate.
Yes. Picture it like the "Aggressive/Conservative" Title is above the slider instead of beside it. Moving the bar left would make you more aggressive, moving it right would make you more conservative. Same with the pass/run tendencies.

Last edited by jyod21; 02-18-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: below/beside
Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyod21
Yes. Picture it like the "Aggressive/Conservative" Title is above the slider instead of beside it. Moving the bar left would make you more aggressive, moving it right would make you more conservative. Same with the pass/run tendencies.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess my coach has been far moe conservative than I imagined in simulated games.

What aggressiveness level do most of you set your coach to? And what would happen if I took it 20-30 on the scale?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

the UI is just counterintuitive, I always thought my coach was aggressive and it turned out he was just conservative because I had a 40-60 split

that said i'd be interested if anyone else sees QBs leading the nation in rushing years into their dynasty. a HB hasn't sniffed the Heisman in years, and wondering what can be tuned to fix this
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulletor
that said i'd be interested if anyone else sees QBs leading the nation in rushing years into their dynasty. a HB hasn't sniffed the Heisman in years, and wondering what can be tuned to fix this
Not me. I've never seen a QB lead the nation in rushing. I checked my last completed season (2028) and the top 10 rushers are HBs w/ 1370-1844 rushing yards.
There were only 3 QBs in the top 25 rushers in the nation.

That said, I've only had 3 HBs win the Heisman in 16 years of my current dynasty. It's not surprising though because QBs rush and pass while HBs typically only rush (rarely do they get a lot of receiving yards).

Of course, in real life, 13 of the last 14 Heismans have gone to QBs, so in EA's game it's pretty accurate.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 02-18-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I will second Jello. I am in the 2027 season and I have not once seen a QB lead the nation in rushing. I have also noticed a nice mix of QBs and HBs winning the Heisman. The QBs that have won all seem to throw from 4000+ yards and 40tds+, while the HBs all come from teams that run some type of option. Looking at those teams in year 2027 and the QBs are all 3rd or lower on the team in rushing much less leading the nation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »