Home

Realistic Quarterback Dropbacks.......

This is a discussion on Realistic Quarterback Dropbacks....... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Realistic Quarterback Dropbacks.......

Actually, depending on the play, I do stay in the pocket with my qb and I have played against many players online who do so as well (they are usually good players). There are definitely repercussions to taking huge drops, you become susceptible to outside blitzes and give dbs more time to make plays on the ball. If somebody does it to me, I definitely make them pay for it.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

The only play where I may drop back abnormally is a screen pass and that's b/c it takes so long to develop.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:

TarHeelPhenom said:
everything you said is true except about the cpu throwing before you take control, the real reason is that the cpu has completed the correct number of steps on the drop back and is now going through his reads. You just have to know what type of drop it is 3-5-7.

Actually, the cpu will throw before completing the proper dropback occasionally. The reason for this is if the cpu reads that he has to get rid of the ball quickly, and this usually only occurs when the defense is blitzing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

There needs to be a pocket. Also the QB's seem to be way too fast. They should make it more like ESPN. If you try to drop back really far then you are likely to get sacked. Also if someone has the ability to drop back really far if it is effective then they will likey do it, especially online. People will always exploit the AI in video games to their advantage. You can not expect someone to play realistic. If it is an issue it needs to be fixed.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:40 PM   #13
MVP

warnerwlf98's Arena

OVR: 11

I've noticed on screen passes, if you don't make sure the RB is far enough upfield than the QB, the throw will either be dropped or will bounce off the RB's shoulders (or even his helmet).

I try to fix this by ensuring that the pass really is a forward one, by dropping back that 15 yards.

The play doesn't turn out that well, but at least the catch will be made even if it's for negative yardage (I almost wonder why I call a screen pass anyway).
Old 06-08-2004, 04:40 PM   #14
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

There are some main problems that cause the drop backs to be far.

Not enough short routes. The short routes in the game are even at least 8 yards. its weird the routes go like this 20 plus 12 to 10 to 7 to 10. There are very lttle of the last two and too many deep routes. hence we need larger and newer plays and playbooks.

The blocking system with suction blockin and the lack of correct D line man pass rush. DE especially, The tackles also don't form a pocket correctly.

In general the bigget issue is the lack of risk and reward for dropping back too far.

I played my friend the other day in ESPN and he got sack like 3 or 4 times in a row and he was like whats up why are my OLine not blocking I explained to him its not that they are not blocking its that you are moving away from the pocket and dropping back to far I told him know your routes and let the cpu handle the drop backs and move with the pocket made the game much better sack wise for him
Old 06-08-2004, 07:14 PM   #15
Rookie

I've never played online, but against human oponents I pretty much sack them at will or get high pressure because they drop back so far. If you blitz from the outside, dropping back too far allows for you to easily run around the o-line at full speed. With my play style, which is quick slants, curls, etc., I always remain in the pocket unless its an obvious blitz up the middle and i rarely get sacked unless no ones open. I think dropping back 20+ yards is ineffective because if someone blitzes from the outside, you will be sacked or have to throw a pressured, on the run pass. Now i guess for those guys that like to control the dlinemen, then I guess that would be difficult but I use linebackers and dbs to blitz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2004, 07:54 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 16

qb dropbacks have never been a problem playing the game offline or online with the right ppl. I dont think anyone here takes 20 yard drop backs when playing the cpu, now, random online games is a different story with ppl dropping back, but when i did play online, i noticed alot more incompletes, sacks and ints when ppl did the deep drop back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »