Home

NCAA 2016 on ps2

This is a discussion on NCAA 2016 on ps2 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NCAA 2016 on ps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo80
I'm still playing 08' on ps2. Like you guys said, Jump the snap blows. Damn near ruined the game for me. Other issues I have with 08' are Momentum and game speed(too fast). Are these problems on 06' or 09'.

One thing I love about 08' and i'm sure 09' is the same, is the spread offense, and all the new option plays they added(some are cheese). It would be hard to replicate those in 06'.
From 06 to 11 (for the ps2) yes, gameplay can seem fast, but only compared to 05 and I guess to the next gen games. You will get used to it rather quickly though. I assume you are referring to the Momentum Meter, which doesn't exist in 06 thankfully. It's a useless feature in my opinion anyways since it literally prevents you or the CPU to make any sort of comeback in a game.

Regarding spread offenses in 09, you are right that some run concepts are cheese. And any of the read option and triple option stuff from the gun simply doesn't work that well in 09. It also doesn't help that the "jump the snap" feature makes things worse.

Let me ease your mind about running an effective spread offense in 06. While your basic read option play isn't in the game, per se, there is still more than enough concepts in the game to have a blast with.

I have ran every type of spread offense in 06 and have had fun doing so. From the spread option like Oregon, read/vertical stuff that Baylor runs, to air raid related concepts; you can basically run any type of spread offense you want in 06 effectively (or at least get pretty close).

Also, don't be fooled into thinking spread teams run 20+ run concepts. Most stick with the same 4 or 5 runs and just rep them over and over but from different formations. This can easily be done in 06.

The core of your running game should include:
  • Speed Option
  • QB Choice
  • PA Read
  • HB Direct
Those four concepts are more than enough to have a diversified running game for your spread offense. You can pick and choose which concepts are effective for what you are trying to do.

For a run/option heavy offense, all four concepts are worth using.

If you are a pass happy guy, PA Read and HB Direct are the only runs you need to succeed.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by volwalker; 05-08-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

Dang Volwalker you've got me wanting to do this project on 06 now! lol I really would do it if I knew more about the possibilities of hex editing on the ps2 platform. I'm sure its possible, if anything I wish I could just get someone who knows modding well enough to at least answer my questions so I can move that direction. You seem to know an awful lot about 06, in your opinion what makes 09 better than 10 and 11.... I have heard the pursuit angles and AI are sketchy on those 2 games as well as 08. just picking your brain. fwiw I'm all about doing complete FBS/FCS/historical rosters on 2006. The biggest pain for me and whomever would hex edit the roster for us would be player eligibility.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Gap Integrity, I have actually done some light editing on 06 with a guy I met on OS. I honestly don't know his username on here since he goes by something else on Yahoo Messenger.

We haven't done much lately since editing together by communicating via YM is difficult. Plus, we just don't have the time to tinker with it at the moment. We are still new at it even though he seems to have a firm grasp on editing in general. We still keep in touch on a weekly basis and I mentioned you to him about your desire to edit 06 so you may here from him soon.

Our editing efforts all started with me wanting to do the same thing you are trying to do: update 06 rosters for the 14-15 season. I was going to do this manually but after doing some research I realized it would have taken me forever to complete the project. And you are right about player eligibility. This would be the hardest thing to work around. So the guy who I have been editing with mentioned to me about the PSX2, the PS2 emulator. Long story short, It will be a daunting task regardless but one that I would love to do one day.

You mentioned wanting complete rosters, FBS, FCS, and historical. I have those for the PS2, for the 05-06 season of course.

You asked for my opinions on 08-11 but I will do you one better. I will give you my opinions on all the games I have played on the PS2, from 03-11. Before I do that I want to say that the "jump the snap" feature is in all of the games from 07 onwards. I think it is the worst feature they ever came up with for the last-gen games. This is the reason I stopped playing 07-11 altogether. So I don't want to beat a dead horse for these comparisons.

03: I actually bought this game not too long ago to test some things out on it but never gave it too much attention, unfortunately. 06 kept calling my name.

04: This is a pretty good game but I think people praise it more for the fact that it was the first to feature online play more so than what the rest of the game has to offer. I love dynasty mode but in this game, it is too basic for me, especially after playing 06 for so long. You are limited to a 55 man roster and you can't change player positions in the offseason. You are also forced to play one style of offense since the game forces to have at least 2 FBs on the roster at all times. Not good for spread guys. I can pick on this game some more but I will move on.

05: I really tried to make this game work but it has too many gameplay flaws. There are too many passes dropped, especially on the XBOX version and the game plays way too slow. I can pick on this game a ton but I want to mention one last thing. On dynasty mode, the final recruiting class rankings are totally messed up. Don't be surprised to see several mid-majors in the top 25. I'm sorry but Kent State isn't supposed to have a top 5 class every year. Moving on...

06: Perfection! God's gift to football gamers everywhere!

07: This is when EA decides to add stupid features to the series. I have already mentioned "jump the snap" but the new 3rd person special teams camera was and still is a joke and you couldn't change it. There is a reason they made it an option instead of a permanent fixture for future games. Otherwise the gameplay is pretty solid.

08: This game is plagued by pursuit angles in the worst way with breaks the game, enough said.

09: If I wasn't playing 06 I would probably play this game. The pursuit angles are still there but nowhere near as bad compared to 08. The biggest downside to this game is the AI defense against any option play. In 06 and in real life, when you run an option play you will have a defender who has to decide if he goes after the QB or your pitchman. In 09,10, and 11 the defender ALWAYS goes fro the QB. This saddens me and I could never figure out why EA changed it.

10: Here is a quick story on why I quit playing 10. I'm a huge dynasty guy so in dynasty you have to deal with discipline issues. The problem with 10 is that half your team will always be in trouble. I once started a dynasty with UTEP and at any given time I would have as many as 6 players suspended for one reason or another. Hilarious really but game breaking nonetheless.

11: I honestly did not play much of 11. I own it but did not play it much for whatever reason. I was probably trying to make the PS3 games playable in between all of that, but I think it was more or less 10 but with updated rosters.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Last edited by volwalker; 05-08-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

Thanks for the response! I've always felt that 06 was the strongest NCAA game ever made. I got into 09 because I felt like they found the happy medium and the gameplay was still solid. I do agree on 06 though, they just nailed that game. The only things it lacks in comparison to 09 are depth in terms of playbooks, locked roster editing features we mentioned, less mini drills among a few others. I read a thread on a website called footballidiot.com where guys found out a way to mod uniforms to update many teams. I thought that would be amazing if possible. I think a guy successfully updated Oregon's uniforms from the 05-06 ones to the ones from the 2011 game maybe? Pretty impressive feat. I'd imagine if there are guys out there talented enough to be able to do something extreme like that I'm sure there is someone willing to help and have the knowledge to make the edits we want for 2015 roster on 06. I'm able to do the editing manually. If I could create a thread where I basically make notes on what teams need what hex edits to make everything easier on the modding guy perhaps that would get the ball rolling. I'm confident there is a decent amount of people in the OS community who would love to see this project come together, but I think most see it as such a daunting task that no one really wants to dive in. Really I just want to find a guy willing to do some extensive testing on 06 with an editor to see what is possible and what we cannot do just to see if its worth it. My gut feeling tells me it is, and the things I want done can be done(duplicate #'s, eligibility, hometown, top 25 rankings) If those things can get done anything else would just be icing on the cake. I imagine if they can import uniforms from other versions, they could also update team logos (Miami, BYU) off the top of my head. I'm excited just thinking about the possibilities. Please keep in touch and I will keep plugging away on my rosters....

Here is a link to the guys who I found making edits to the ps2 versions, I haven't been able to get in contact with anyone over there, but the thread has posts from as late as December...
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=16665
Old 05-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Pro

volwalker's Arena

I will try to get my editing buddy's OS username for you. Hopefully he can help you on that side of things.

Also, I am starting my own 06 blog that should go live over the next day or so. I will start a thread on OS about it once it's ready so keep a look out. I already have a few posts written for it.

The blog will heavily cover playbooks and dynasty related stuff.

You would not believe how deep this game really is!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

Sweet! I've been messing around on both games today. The one thing that bums me out on 06 dynasty mode is that you cannot do the mini drills to boost players attributes, I always liked that feature. Man, I think you may have me convinced about making this switch. I like 09 a lot because it is a little deeper and up to date, but that 06 gameplay, presentation, and soundtrack are just amazing. If it is truly possibly to hex edit this game I think the potential is huge for a 2015 project. There was a reason I used to spend thousands of hours playing this game. I will always remember my best user v.s. user games were always on 06. Such a great experience.

Below is a list of things that I would love to get answers on in terms of being possible to edit/mod:

1. Duplicate jersey numbers. Not overly worried and quite confident this is possible. It's a huge part of college football nowadays and very prominent. Just want to make sure we can do this for obvious reasons. I would make a list of all that needed done for our editor.

2. Eligibilty. again, for very obvious reasons. Critical part of any roster project and dynasty simulation. Should be able to be done. Probably the biggest headache in terms of diligence and time consumption, but very important.

3. Hometown/State. More or less cosmetic, but for obsessive types like myself I usually do this. Also in the editor is the dropdown list of towns per state an option, or can we actually type in a town name? This would be sweet for the many popular recruiting hotbeds that are left off the default towns list. (Stone Mountain, GA, Upper Marlboro, MD, Brooklyn, NY, Pickerington, OH, Wyoming, PA, I could go on forever)

4. Top 25 rankings. Should be able to have this done pretty easily I assume.

5. Team prestige star rating. Adjusting these affects recruiting. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that need adjusted.

6. year in dynasty. Instead of the default 2005 season listed everywhere throughout the dynasty, can we edit the year to start at 2015? this would be a nice touch.

7. Schedule changes. It would be nice to be able to edit the 2015 schedules if possible. Maybe look at other things like 9 conference games for the B1G where as of now they have 8 conference games "locked" on the schedule.

8. Logo/uniform upgrades. Apparently this is possible as I posted that link. This would be huge if possible! I know it would be impossible to get them all dialed in, but there is a ton of flexibility if its possible to take uniforms/logos from the other versions of the game. Miami has that terrible Hurricane logo instead of the traditional "U", BYU the lame cougar logo instead of the oval "Y". This would also be cool for certain historic teams as well.

9. Team playbooks. Possibly change default playbooks for teams that have changed schemes or philosophies.

10. Coach names. Instead of the generic tag, maybe edit each teams HC name. No coaching carousel in the game, but Urban Meyer looks so much better than BUCKSCOACH.

11. preseason all-Americans. Is it possible to edit these guys on the Athlon magazine? is there a tag for those players, or do I just have to assume if I turn Matt Leinart into Cody Kessler, that Kessler will be on all the magazine covers and watch lists? I'm sure there is some sort of tag attached to these guys that we can edit to determine who preseason all-Americans are? If so editing this would be a very nice touch.

12. Edit recruiting class. It would add some serious depth to dynasty if we could recruit real players. Maybe create the Rivals top 300 or something. It would essentially create an extra season of real players.

13. Change team names. I think for my historic file it would be amazing if we could fully edit team names. For example in my historic file I took all of the All-Time teams and created a specific year team. So All-Time Auburn is actually 2011 Auburn with Cam Newton. I did this for a bunch of teams just to make the file deeper. It would be nice to edit the actual team name to 2011 Auburn. I also think if the whole uniform import thing was possible it would be insane to take the 14 slots in the historic file that are for the year specific All-American all star teams and create actual historic teams that were omitted or teams from after 2005. So instead of 1997 AA with Peyton Manning, Ron Dayne, Randy Moss, Charles Woodson, and Martin Gramatica, we could use those slots essentially as team builder slots to create more historic teams like 2009 Alabama, 2000 Purdue and such.

These are just some of the one off the top of my head. Conference championship games and a 4 team playoff are probably a long shot. I think if it were possible to do much of this we could certainly have something special here. Typed this while listening to the Pixies "freebaser"..... love this game!!

Last edited by Gap Integrity; 05-08-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Gap Integrity, my editing friend told me to tell you to contact him over at footballidiot.com He should be able to find and talk to you there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
Rookie

Danbo80's Arena

OVR: 2

So after all this NCAA 06 talk I had to dust off my copy and give it a run. Simply put, Volwalker was right. This game is really good. Game speed is perfect, no jump the snap. Those two things ruined 08 for me. Even the graphics, especially the stadiums look better than 08.
Thanks for opening my eyes to this game. I didn't remember it being this good, but it is.

@Gap Integrity You got me excited for a possible 2015 roster. I wish you luck and hope you
don't give up on this project.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »