Home

House rules on cutting players?

This is a discussion on House rules on cutting players? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: House rules on cutting players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
It depends on which team I am using. If I start a dynasty with a crappy team and I think I can get much better players than the bottom half of my roster, then I will over recruit the bad ones and cut them. This happens all the time by real coaches so I don't feel bad about doing it. Just pretend you are telling those kids that they need to look elsewhere.

If I start with a good program then I typically won't over recruit. However, every team has a few players that aren't simply good enough to play for you so you can over recruit and cut them when necessary.

Honestly, you don't need any house rules for cutting since there is nothing to exploit by doing so.
So college coaches cut kids all the time just because they find someone better? I don't remember that mentioned as in the scholarship I had in college or the ones my 30 players signed in the past 10 years. Now coaches do release players from their scholarship if they violate that contract, but to take one away because a kid is not good enough does not happen. They may remove a scholarship but it is because the kid had grades drop, got in some trouble, or walked away from football. Coaches do pull offered scholarships but that is before they ever sign. A scholarship is a legal binding contract between player and school. So I find flaw in your thinking.

But we are talking about a video game so if you want to use your method then that is your right. Please know that there are long term issues in over recruiting that can impact the future of your dynasty. Recruiting is very easy as the game has some logic flaws. If you key in on these flaws, like over recruiting, then you send your dynasty down a path that will limit the computer teams. Every extra recruit you take is one less for the computer. When you cut a player that is one less for the computer. A low rated player in your eyes might be a key player for the computer. When there is a lack of recruits the teams are filled with extremely low rated players that are worthless. The computer then has to play with these players which starts to effect outcomes of games. Before long you have teams that lose ever game giving free wins to others and so on.

So that is why for years the series has needed house rules for recruiting and cutting players. But if you want to stack your team, even playing with 1 star teams, then over recruit each season. I use to make the same mistake around NCAA 2000, but I realized I was the worst thing that could happen to my dynasty.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
So college coaches cut kids all the time just because they find someone better? I don't remember that mentioned as in the scholarship I had in college or the ones my 30 players signed in the past 10 years. Now coaches do release players from their scholarship if they violate that contract, but to take one away because a kid is not good enough does not happen. They may remove a scholarship but it is because the kid had grades drop, got in some trouble, or walked away from football. Coaches do pull offered scholarships but that is before they ever sign. A scholarship is a legal binding contract between player and school. So I find flaw in your thinking.

But we are talking about a video game so if you want to use your method then that is your right. Please know that there are long term issues in over recruiting that can impact the future of your dynasty. Recruiting is very easy as the game has some logic flaws. If you key in on these flaws, like over recruiting, then you send your dynasty down a path that will limit the computer teams. Every extra recruit you take is one less for the computer. When you cut a player that is one less for the computer. A low rated player in your eyes might be a key player for the computer. When there is a lack of recruits the teams are filled with extremely low rated players that are worthless. The computer then has to play with these players which starts to effect outcomes of games. Before long you have teams that lose ever game giving free wins to others and so on.

So that is why for years the series has needed house rules for recruiting and cutting players. But if you want to stack your team, even playing with 1 star teams, then over recruit each season. I use to make the same mistake around NCAA 2000, but I realized I was the worst thing that could happen to my dynasty.

Excellent, excellent post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 05-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

People do not even know how much we effect the outcomes in our dynasties or CFM in Madden. I started a study in Madden about how one draft day tread can lead to others and involve more teams. I found that the picks involved lasted for 4 seasons and involved 9 teams. Every team gave up future picks but drafted players they cut within a 1-3 years.

NCAA is much the same in that we steal players from the computer teams. That can lead to long term issues that will harm the success of a dynasty. While we all want to build that winning team; we have to measure the cost of doing that when we use the over recruit-cut player method.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #20
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

That's fine. Everybody has a way of doing things. I don't over recruit just for the sake of over recruiting. It has its place.

But if I have terrible talent at a particular position, I will recruit better talent for that position. This doesn't mean I'm going to cut the other guys.

I'll only cut players if I'm over the limit.

You must have thought I cut players all the time. Only if I have over 70.

Hope that clarifies my previous post.

Last edited by volwalker; 05-16-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #21
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

Ok, I'm on board. I had thought about signing graduating seniors +2 (to account for possible transfers and early departures), but I've decided to not sign any extra players beyond graduating seniors. If a player decides to leave, so be it, I'll just have to deal with it.

I think this will make my recruiting more strategic, add some challenge, and be more realistic.

Good discussion.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #22
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
That's fine. Everybody has a way of doing things. I don't over recruit just for the sake of over recruiting. It has its place.

But if I have terrible talent at a particular position, I will recruit better talent for that position. This doesn't mean I'm going to cut the other guys.

I'll only cut players if I'm over the limit.

You must have thought I cut players all the time. Only if I have over 70.

Hope that clarifies my previous post.
I got you now. It sounded like you just go out and sign 25 each season then cut the lowest rated. I think all of us will sign a player at a position of need if no starter is there. Just know every extra player you take is one less for the computer and they need all they can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Ok, I'm on board. I had thought about signing graduating seniors +2 (to account for possible transfers and early departures), but I've decided to not sign any extra players beyond graduating seniors. If a player decides to leave, so be it, I'll just have to deal with it.

I think this will make my recruiting more strategic, add some challenge, and be more realistic.

Good discussion.
I will tell you what happens Calf, you end up playing someone you might not have played before. One of the best receivers I have ever played with was a guy that would not have seen the field his senior year had I over recruited. He was only a 79ovr but had some great ratings and has fast. Broke some records with the guy on a team that was loaded with NFL guys.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #23
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I got you now. It sounded like you just go out and sign 25 each season then cut the lowest rated. I think all of us will sign a player at a position of need if no starter is there. Just know every extra player you take is one less for the computer and they need all they can get.

I will tell you what happens Calf, you end up playing someone you might not have played before. One of the best receivers I have ever played with was a guy that would not have seen the field his senior year had I over recruited. He was only a 79ovr but had some great ratings and has fast. Broke some records with the guy on a team that was loaded with NFL guys.
I love hearing stories like that. You just never know what 3 star might turn into an All-American. That's what good scouting is for I guess.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:05 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

I try not to over-recruit severely, but man is it hard to really gauge how many guys you are going to lose when you're in a good program. Sure, we can all easily see the seniors that are graduating, but some drafts I can see 1-2 guys leave early, sometimes I've had 5-6. I frequently have a player or two transfer out. Since I edit players to maximize injuries and make them realistic, I really need my roster filled out. I can't enjoy playing when I'm going to see a lot of games with CB's at receiver and no available safeties due to injuries, all while my third string Qb is manning the helm and handing off to a third string runner.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »