Home

Playoffs 2004- What might have been

This is a discussion on Playoffs 2004- What might have been within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Playoffs 2004- What might have been

Quote:

CheckMate said:

Then where is all of the outrage over the college basketball format?

Never watched it, never will. Why even play a regular season? Just have a tournament with every single team instead. Winner take all. NOT!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #18
Rookie

Quote:

longhorn35 said:
or college baseball or div 1 AA football or 1 AAA football or NAIA or div 2 or div 3 or college swimming, or college softball, or college volleyball, or college debate, or college track, or pro sports of every kind or high school sp[orts of every kind

Aw, Texas fan upset because we went to a BCS bowl and you didn't. That sounds like a good enough reason for me to have a playoff.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:

Greenevol said:
Quote:

Yet none of that explains why having more than 4 teams compete in a playoff is bad.

I thought I did that earlier.

More than 4 teams in the playoff allows for mediocre teams to squeak in and win a championship. #8 doesnt deserve a shot at a championship. #4 does, but #8 is ranked #8 for a reason.

I agree. The only way to make a playoff work is to strictly limit the # of teams (my preference is 2) or to make it a best-of-# series (like baseball and NBA basketball) to take the "luck" factor out of it. Winning a championship should NOT be based on luck. It should be based on solid, year-round performance, and being the best team overall, not the best team on a given day. That is why most playoffs are not interesting.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:49 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 14

Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Quote:

Greenevol said:
Quote:

Yet none of that explains why having more than 4 teams compete in a playoff is bad.

More than 4 teams in the playoff allows for mediocre teams to squeak in and win a championship. #8 doesnt deserve a shot at a championship. #4 does, but #8 is ranked #8 for a reason.

I agree. The only way to make a playoff work is to strictly limit the # of teams (my preference is 2)

That sure worked last year didn't it?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Quote:

CheckMate said:

Then where is all of the outrage over the college basketball format?

Never watched it, never will. Why even play a regular season? Just have a tournament with every single team instead. Winner take all. NOT!

The problem with college basketball isn't the regular season, it's the conference tournaments. Those serve to water down the importance of the season much more than the NCAA tournament does.

On the other hand, the problem with college football is obvious- the regular season stinks. I'm sure that if you're a big fan of one team you'll feel differently, but the truth of the matter is that most big programs play two games of football a year, and the rest of their schedule is filler. You can go weeks and weeks without there being a decent game being played anywhere in the country. A playoff system will put an end to that (as the bowl games do to a lesser extent), as a team will have to beat no fewer than three consecutive quality opponents to be crowned champion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #22
MVP

rocker78's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Quote:

Greenevol said:
Quote:

I agree. The only way to make a playoff work is to strictly limit the # of teams (my preference is 2)

well i actually think you would run into more of a problwm with 4 or 8 teams. if there was an 8 team playoff then you would have 4 schools all with 9-3 records who all deserve to get in but only one would for that final 8th spot.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Quote:

Greenevol said:
Quote:

LSU is the NC, what's the problem?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #24
All Star

OVR: 14

Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Quote:

Greenevol said:
Quote:

LSU is the NC, what's the problem?

The fact that they are making changes to the system speaks volumes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »