Home

RNS explained

This is a discussion on RNS explained within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
RNS explained

The run and shoot offense has a lot of history. Since most of you are reading this to play it in a video game(understandable) I won't go through the history. Anywho, the RNS was based on the theory "run where they're not". Meaning the WRs saw coverages and changed their routes based off what they saw. The RNS started with a few simple concepts that could be your entire offense very easily. These plays are most commonly known as: Slide(60 slide), Go(60 Go), Choice(61 Choice), switch routes, and Smash routes. With the correct adjustments and right reads you could literally run one of these plays all game and have success,however it is BETTER to mix them up. Let's get back to the plays. The numbering system refers to the half rollout action that makes the play so successful. 60-half roll to the trips side. 61-half roll to the single WR side. By simply doing this you will begin to notice a higher success rate in passes because of how the defense has to respect your roll( age old defense rule) and it opens up passing lanes. The thing that holds the RNS back in video games is the WRs artificial intelligence isn't always in line to what they need to do to be open. Therefore this is on you!! You must read defense coverages and determine if it is man, three deep, or 2 deep/cover 4.
Quick Run through coverage recognition
Cover 4/cover 2. Two deep safeties and CBs won't be directly aligned with the WRs.
Cover 3. One high safety(easiest read)
Man. CBs will be aligned directly over the WR they are covering. Note: defenses can disguise their coverage.
Here are your adjustments to the coverage
60 slide v. Cover three/two/4. Run the inside WR on the trips side on a go. Outside WR on trips side on a slant. Leave other WR. I would reveal all my secrets. But that takes away the learning experience. Let me know how this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: RNS explained

In my spread option CPB I took out all receiver option routes because, like you, I found that the WRs and I were rarely on the same page. They'd have the option to run an in or an out, there'd be a CB sitting in a zone covering the out with the in wide open so I'd throw it right before the break, expecting a wide open in but the WR runs an out and I end up throwing a pick to the CB just sitting there.

About a year ago I switched to coach mode and a few months ago I started a new coach mode dynasty and I made a new RnS/Air Raid CPB (if I made a strictly RnS CPB it'd be paper thin). With a CPU controlled QB I LOVE option routes now since I don't need to worry about the QB and WRs being on the wrong page. I don't use hot routes as I think it makes the passing game WAY too easy, but even with all of the plays run the way they're drawn up, I still really like the RnS. I've had a ton of fun with it.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: RNS explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
In my spread option CPB I took out all receiver option routes because, like you, I found that the WRs and I were rarely on the same page. They'd have the option to run an in or an out, there'd be a CB sitting in a zone covering the out with the in wide open so I'd throw it right before the break, expecting a wide open in but the WR runs an out and I end up throwing a pick to the CB just sitting there.

About a year ago I switched to coach mode and a few months ago I started a new coach mode dynasty and I made a new RnS/Air Raid CPB (if I made a strictly RnS CPB it'd be paper thin). With a CPU controlled QB I LOVE option routes now since I don't need to worry about the QB and WRs being on the wrong page. I don't use hot routes as I think it makes the passing game WAY too easy, but even with all of the plays run the way they're drawn up, I still really like the RnS. I've had a ton of fun with it.

I've always wanted to experiment with auto pass and coaching mode to see if it was better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »