Home

Observations on AlphaBETA's impressions...

This is a discussion on Observations on AlphaBETA's impressions... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #33
Rookie

jwb0581's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Observations on AlphaBETA\'s impressions...

Quote:

SemperVictoria said:
Quote:

whipsmart77 said:
I haven't seen the IGN video...but one thing I can tell you guys from having been in game development (for EA, as a matter of fact). Once the game is BETA, there is NO GAMEPLAY TUNING going on. Whatever this alpha guy has, should be damn near Final. Text bugs, crashes, etc. would be about the only things left on a Beta build.

I know absolutely nothing about how games are developed. I just love football. And all I know is, AlphaBETA is talking about slow defensive players unrealistically catching fast offensive players. And this just isn't the case on the GI videos.

Something's gotta give.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #34
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

jwb0581 said:
Quote:

SemperVictoria said:
Quote:

whipsmart77 said:
I haven't seen the IGN video...but one thing I can tell you guys from having been in game development (for EA, as a matter of fact). Once the game is BETA, there is NO GAMEPLAY TUNING going on. Whatever this alpha guy has, should be damn near Final. Text bugs, crashes, etc. would be about the only things left on a Beta build.

I know absolutely nothing about how games are developed. I just love football. And all I know is, AlphaBETA is talking about slow defensive players unrealistically catching fast offensive players. And this just isn't the case on the GI videos.

Something's gotta give.

I think there's a good chance that what's "giving" is difficulty levels.

Chances are that on easier levels, user controlled players have a spped advantage, which shifts to the CPU as you make it harder.

We'll see - but we have no idea what levels or sliders are being used for any of these videos. We know that AlphaBETA says he's been playing on All-AMerican and Heisman.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:16 PM   #35
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Actually, I believe he said he has played 2 weeks of games in Dynasty. ie. 2 weeks out of his dynasty, not 2 real-time weeks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:

hogfan said:
Actually, I believe he said he has played 2 weeks of games in Dynasty. ie. 2 weeks out of his dynasty, not 2 real-time weeks

i wish he would play more games and answer gameplay questions instead of answering all the rating for every player people request. Oh well, his impressions are the only ones were gonna get till we have the game ourselves so i guess hell get to gameplay eventually.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:02 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

I just read every post and I'm shocked no one thought maybe the video itself was sped up on GI. I have watched the vids a few times and it seems that even when he's choosing plays, the entire interface is in fast forward. When the players move to the line of scrimmage they move awefully quick. This may have been done to show more gameplay in less time.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 AM   #38
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I seriously doubt that. I watched the playclock and it was moving normally, so they would have had to speed it up ONLY after the play starts. That's giving a bunch of people who have NO vested interest in misleading buyers (infact, to do so would be counterproductive, because they would lose credibility as reviews/media) would go to that kind of effort is pretty paranoid. I've seen basically EVERY video that has been posted ANYWHERE about this game, and have yet to see anything resembling this speed cheat. There MAY be an issue with the overall gamespeed (though I'm not sold on it, and I'm not convinced that it will adversely affect gameplay anyways), but there is NO evidence that offensive players are slower relative to defensive players. I'd put A BUNCH of money that says that Alpha just isn't used to the new momentum (ie you can't just start and stop on a dime), or is playing on Heisman. When I have to chose between the IMPRESSIONS of a guy who I don't know ANYTHING about, or even know for sure has the game (or has the game in the state that it will be released), and videos that I've seen with my OWN EYES, I trust my eyes EVERYTIME.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »