Home

Formation Subs on Special Teams

This is a discussion on Formation Subs on Special Teams within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5
Formation Subs on Special Teams

Do you utilize them or leave it to its own devices?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Formation Subs on Special Teams

I always do lots of subs.

Kickoff: I always use only 2nd string players. Never starters. Outside I have the fastest DB:s, usually CB:s, but sometimes a FS/SS. 2nd from outside I have back-up safeties. Middle six players are back-up linebackers. Strongest ones on the inside and faster LB:s on the outside.

CB-SS-LB-LB-LB-K-LB-LB-LB-FS-CB

That it what usually looks like.

On kick return I always have my fastest WR/HB/DB as returner, who is not a starter. Return middle formation has the best run blocker, usually a FB or TE in front of the returner, 2dn row has FB:s on the inside and back-up TE:s on the outside. Front line has three LB:s or even a DE, who has the best run blocking skills, and the two outside players are WR/HB/DB with good run block skills.

Punt return has on outside two fastest CB:s, and next to them best run blockers with good speed. Usually a WR or HB. They don't rush the kicker, but drop to run block.

That usually makes a big difference. Getting hurt on special teams doesn't hurt my starting O or D, and getting few good blocks is a key, no matter how good your return man is.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Formation Subs on Special Teams

I always use subs on KO and punt coverage. I remove all starters (as a 3-4, my 2nd starting MLB is on coverage teams by default). I also remove all offensive guys (on kickoffs there's a TE and 2 WRs that get replaced with a backup LB and 2 backup DBs).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »