Home

How do you determine your starting kick and punt returner?

This is a discussion on How do you determine your starting kick and punt returner? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
ALG
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do you determine your starting kick and punt returner?

I recently started a new season in one of my dynasties and this question came to me while ordering my depth chart and trying to decide what player would be my kick and/or punt returner for this upcoming season. So, how do you guys determine your starting kick/punt returner? Do you go with the player with the highest OVR? Do you go with the player with the most speed and/or acceleration? Or do you just go with someone who you think will be a good return man?

I was just curious as to how others did it. I typically just end up using the highest OVR, which more often than not is usually my starting HB or WR. However, I was thinking of changing that philosophy, considering that player usually gets gassed easily or injured due to returning kicks and I can't have that since they're my starter at HB/WR. So, once again, how do you guys determine your return man for your dynasty?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
MVP

RedRaider10's Arena

Re: How do you determine your starting kick and punt returner?

For punt returner I use speed and juke move, I want my guy to make people miss. For kick returner I just let the CPU throw 2 guys out there.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Rookie

Usually a guy who is fast and has good agility and isn't my starting RB or a top 2 receiver (unless the guy is clearly the best candidate, and even then I probably will only use him for punts). I would rather keep those guys rested and not have them injured or anything on a return. I stopped manually controlling the returner anyway since it became too easy, especially on kicks.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Here's my priority list.
  1. Cannot be a starter (this includes my #3 WR for my spread offense)
  2. Must have CAR and other running skills. This rules out most DBs.
  3. Then I choose the players w/ the best SPD/ACC.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
Rookie

For kick return, give me a fast guy. As others do as well, I pick a guy who is not a starter. If two candidates have similar speed, only then do I look at skills like ACC. For punts, I want a guy who is fast but agility and acceleration are as much or more important. If I don't have a guy who is all three I go with the fastest, usually the same guy who is KR, but I'll sacrifice a little in the speed department for a guy who can be shifty. Generally a great return will require a great cut, so this guy needs to be able to make that great cut and explode out of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 02:10 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Agreeing with others, SPD is #1 for KR, but must have some AGI. I've had CBs back there whose cuts are so clumsy that I'm subbing out after 1st return.
PRs need SPD but I take fastest guy with highest ACC. Maybe it's me thinking too much like IRL, but I also include CIT for PRs.
I too stay away from starting RB and #1 WR but -- running spread option offense -- will not hesitate to use #2 WR. I've also usually got a young SPD RB down the depth chart who I'll start there.
My record holder on returns, tho, is a speed FS I got lucky with one recruiting class. 3yrs (I took chances with him when starting Jr yr but not so in his Sr yr) and he taught me how to manage the KR.
I don't think I'm imagining it but that guy, and later guys, become so good that I feel like they're being kicked away from eventually. For that FS his Jr yr I reverted to single KR formation.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

OVR/SPD

I don't use my top 2 CB/WR
I will use a starting HB as one of the KR if he's a SO/FR
Old 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

I take the fastest guy who is not a starter, and go from there. I've used corners, receivers, backs, but usually not safeties.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »