Home

Can you IMPORT your old 2004 Dynasty into NCAA 2005?

This is a discussion on Can you IMPORT your old 2004 Dynasty into NCAA 2005? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2004, 02:35 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Can you IMPORT your old 2004 Dynasty into NCAA 2005?

I agree. I've always wished for this. Sports gaming, in general, seems to be much more habitual than other game types/series. That is, people who buy one year of a sports game are more likely to buy subsequent years. I never bought the "no incentive to buy next years game" argument, because there's nothing to stop people from doing that NOW(Anyone who is so attached to their dynasty has more incentive to NOT buy the new game than to buy it. If anything, this feature would entice those who do not want to part with their old dynasties. People buy the new game for the gameplay/graphics/dynasty improvements, and it would not hurt to incorporate previous dynasties into current games(outside of technical hurdles).
Old 07-10-2004, 02:43 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:
why buy the new game if you want to keep playing the same dynasty?

Graphics/gameplay improvements, among other things(presentation, recuiting, etc.). A better question might be: why allow for such long dynasties/franchises (unlimited, 30 seasons, 100 seasons, etc.) in sports games only to tell the users that their investment is or will be worthless by the next year? Anyone who puts that much time into their games (I cannot, but the original thread starter is a good example) would almost certainly want to buy the new game to enjoy all of the "improvements", but is forced to choose between new game/start over v. continue the dynasty I've put time and effort into maintaining. If there is any non-technical reason why this is not implemented, I feel it is foolish.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #11
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I have a feeling there are technical reasons for not having that feature in. It might not be possible to match the lines of coding from a dynasty from 2004 to the new 2005 game. I'm no programmer so I could be completely wrong but that is my best guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #12
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Capstone said:
asl

Old 07-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

Baughn3 said:
I have a feeling there are technical reasons for not having that feature in. It might not be possible to match the lines of coding from a dynasty from 2004 to the new 2005 game. I'm no programmer so I could be completely wrong but that is my best guess.

The basics of this should be fairly easy. The main part of the transfer would be player names and ratings which is just porting one set on numbers in a database to another. I can see how this would be tougher if you were playing with created team uniforms or something if they added a bunch of stuff to create-a-team. You would also have the situation like this year where there were no composure and disipline ratings so to port the old database to the new game they would have to be filled in somehow. Possibly randomly. FPS uses to provide away to do this. They had the same set of ratings for years. But the port didn't always work as well as you would hope. The ratings scales or distributions changed from year to year. Say if the scale changed the average player one year maybe 70 one year and 80 the next. So if you played with your old team with 70 averages you would get smoked by the teams that came with the game. Even if you played against another ported team it didn't work right. The game would look at all those 70 endurance scores now think of them as bad so everyone on both teams would be too tired to play at the end of the game. There would also be a lot of missed kicks, bad throws, and dropped passes etc. Or the distribution would somethimes change even if the average rating was about the same. One year extreme scores like 40 and 99 would be common and then not so common another year. So then you would have players the game viewed as superhuman or superbad after a port.

Really though, I haven't seen the ratings scales change much in NCAA over the years and this is the first year I can think that there have been new ratings in NCAA or Madden since at least the late 90's. So they could have transfered the main parts fairly easily. It would be a lot easier than the draft class import feature.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17

some very good points.....Silverstring made one of the best points. Why do they boast of this infinite dynasty seasons you can have when you simply cannot carry them over to the next version of the game that comes out??

I can see the argument that perhaps the coding requires different programming to the player attributes each year but surely they could create some sort of mini conversion program that imports old player ratings or attributes into the new ones.

If Im not mistaken, I think Frong Page SPorts Football or Baseball did this years ago and allowed players to continue their old franchises from previous versions of the game by including a seperate small import utility with the game.

Frankly, I wouldnt even care if they could be converted/imported 100% accurate to their previous version's code, I would simply be happy enough to be able to carry on what I have put so much time building last year and would just enjoy a close enough conversion to allow me to continue my little ficticious leauge.
I feel so very attached to the players and my history that I dont know if I can restart all that and get the same satisfaction.

I would love to continue out my franchise with all the enhancements and additions of the new version. Personally, the new rosters arent the main reason Im buying this game.

perhaps if we all show an interest in this simple feature, next year they may incorporate some sort of continuing dynasty feature.

Lol, can you imagine if Microsoft Word forced you to recreate all your old documents each year when a new version came out?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #15
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15

It could be fun doing that, but most people if they keep wanting to play the old one will simply not buy the new one and keep playing it.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »