Home

Honest Opinions... Going to the Store In a Few...

This is a discussion on Honest Opinions... Going to the Store In a Few... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Honest Opinions... Going to the Store In a Few...

Should I get the XBox or PS2 version?

This slowdown talk is really worrying me...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Honest Opinions... Going to the Store In a Few...

i'll get the one you really want first and if you take it home and it's xbox and has slowdown just take it back for the ps2
Old 07-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

I played several games last night with the Xbox version and was completely satisfied with my purchase. I did not notice any of the so called slowdown everyone is talking about. Not only that, after playing all of 2004 on the PS2, I was amazed at how much quicker it simmed, loaded things, etc...
Old 07-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I posted this over at maddennation.com:

Ok the following is based on about 2 offline games each and about 4 online ps2 games and 3 xbox live games. Here is my opinions on both versions. For some of you guys "on the fence" about which to get keep this in mind:

XBOX vs PS2:
There is no doubt in my mind or anyones for that matter that the XBOX is the machine to get for graphics and sound. The game looks beautiful on the system. The loading times of the games also seems to be faster. Now here is something I didn't notice at first. I played the PS2 version, was cool with it, except i noticed some slow downs to the cut scenes and such. But figured hey it's happened before. I'm not going to cry bloody murder. So I pop in the XBOX version, I didn't notice any significant slow downs, unlike the Ps2. I also went online and played Outsider, the game played fine online as well. Nothing noticeable. THEN, i went back to my ps2 version online and the gameplay was faster. I thought it was just me. I had a few beers the night i played outsider so i thought maybe it was just my senses were off. But then I played XBOX again and the gameplay, especially on the running just seemed a tad slower. Now this is overallgameplay im talking now, not slowdowns (like a lot of people are seeing). So i play Craig on PS2, and its like a totally different game. The gameplay is so much faster it seems on the ps2. I have no idea why.

There are alot of people out there saying that the XBOX version is crap. And that there are MAJOR slowdowns. I haven't noticed any major slowdowns or pauses during gameplay, like i have in the ps2 version. But i have noticed that the overall gameplay of the XBOX seems to be slower. This could be viewed as a good or bad thing depending on your taste. The xbox version seems like with slower speed it could be a little more sim style. The pace of the game isn't so rushed. But it can get boring to some people, and since its a change from how NCAA usually is, people might not like it. So if you want a faster game go with PS2.

Online Play:
Both systems obviously have this, but right now EA servers for XBOX is jacked. If im correct, these are EA servers and not Microsofts. So its an EA problem i would think. Even before the game hit stores there was some issues. Outsider and I got disconnected in the first game because it said his disc was dirty or something. And people aren't getting their stats emailed to them. I'm sure these are just early bugs that can hopefully be fixed. Especially if it requires patches and the xbox can save on the HD. The PS2 version seemed to have no bugs whatsoever that I could find. The stats were emailed to me, and I used Poo's rosters online yesterday. Named players will work for XBOX when someone releases rosters. I tested this out by renmaing one player and it worked. So if EA can get the issues fixed with XBOX, those users should be OK. Like i said before though the gameplay seems a tad slower on XBOX.

Final Analysis:
I have played both PS2 and XBOX. At first I noticed some slowdown in the PS2 version, especially to cut scenes. After playing the XBOX I thought that it was near perfect. Then popped in my PS2 version again and noticed how slow the gameplay was on XBOX compared to ps2. I think I can deal with the slowdown in the PS2 if it meant i got fast (normal) gameplay. Something about the XBOX now bothers me. The game speed just seems so different from the ps2. I'm only one person though. You might want to give both a rent and figure it out for yourself. I'm just trying to give you my impressions of what i noticed in both versions. I was satisfied with both, but will probably play PS2 over xbox.

BTW, i'm not one of these guys who's picky when it comes to games and notices little details or errors. Like that MVP lefty glitch would probably go unoticed by me if I hadn't read about it. Stuff like that goes unnoticed by me. So you'll probably have a lot of people being critical of the XBOX version, when really it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think I'm gonna go with the PS2 version
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »