Home

Baylor style offense

This is a discussion on Baylor style offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1
Baylor style offense

I have been trying to create a playbook to emulate the read option attack that Baylor runs. I know I will have issues with the spreads, which I can live with. I thought in previous games, on a play action pass, you were able to hand the ball off if you held down X (PS3). I did some testing last night, and no matter what I tried, I could not hand the ball off on a play action.

1) is there a way to hand the ball off?
2) if not, is there any read option pass type plays that give you the option. I looked into the Veer play set, and still couldn't get it to work properly.

If anyone knows anything that would be great, it is fun running just a spread style run and everything play action, just was hoping there was a way to hand the ball off, to help when the CPU already knows what play you are running.

Thanks in advance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
Post Re: Baylor style offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRDIBL
I have been trying to create a playbook to emulate the read option attack that Baylor runs. I know I will have issues with the spreads, which I can live with. I thought in previous games, on a play action pass, you were able to hand the ball off if you held down X (PS3). I did some testing last night, and no matter what I tried, I could not hand the ball off on a play action.

1) is there a way to hand the ball off?
2) if not, is there any read option pass type plays that give you the option. I looked into the Veer play set, and still couldn't get it to work properly.

If anyone knows anything that would be great, it is fun running just a spread style run and everything play action, just was hoping there was a way to hand the ball off, to help when the CPU already knows what play you are running.

Thanks in advance
Their Veer & Shoot offense is great. Too bad it can not be fully implemented in 14, or any other game.

You need concepts where you have the option to either hand it off to your HB (with a pulling tackle, hence the Veer) and the option to throw to your receivers that have a bevy of option routes (Shoot).

Unfortunately it can't be done in any of these games. The closest you can get to it is oddly enough in the older generation games such as NCAA 06-11.

You use the PA Read and QB Choice together to get that effect.

The PA Read gives you the option to hand it off or pass, but there are no option routes. There is also the QB Choice play that is perfect since you have a pulling tackle along with the option of keeping it with your QB.

those Two plays from multiple Gun sets is about as close as you can get. Both concepts are fun to use though, especially together.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Re: Baylor style offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Their Veer & Shoot offense is great. Too bad it can not be fully implemented in 14, or any other game.

You need concepts where you have the option to either hand it off to your HB (with a pulling tackle, hence the Veer) and the option to throw to your receivers that have a bevy of option routes (Shoot).

Unfortunately it can't be done in any of these games. The closest you can get to it is oddly enough in the older generation games such as NCAA 06-11.

You use the PA Read and QB Choice together to get that effect.

The PA Read gives you the option to hand it off or pass, but there are no option routes. There is also the QB Choice play that is perfect since you have a pulling tackle along with the option of keeping it with your QB.

those Two plays from multiple Gun sets is about as close as you can get. Both concepts are fun to use though, especially together.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's the best I have found.

To handcuff me my only shot gun running plays are either read options Veer options or QB runs. I added in play actions and PA reads as 50% of the offensive play calls, while adding in as many bubble and wide receiver screens as possibly, then added in a few scrub and crossing routes as I could find.

I will look tonight and see what can all be put together with just the read options, to see if something can be created as that as a 75% of a base Baylor playbook type. I don't think their are to many options. or is their only one play action read, just in multiple formations?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Thanks, that's the best I have found.

To handcuff me my only shot gun running plays are either read options Veer options or QB runs. I added in play actions and PA reads as 50% of the offensive play calls, while adding in as many bubble and wide receiver screens as possibly, then added in a few scrub and crossing routes as I could find.

I will look tonight and see what can all be put together with just the read options, to see if something can be created as that as a 75% of a base Baylor playbook type. I don't think their are to many options. or is their only one play action read, just in multiple formations?

It's been awhile since I've played 14 but I think the PA Read is in several formations. And the route are different in them all if I'm not mistaken.

Also note that Baylor always has their HB aligned beside the QB so the Flex/Offset Gun formations are not needed.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Quote:
It's been awhile since I've played 14 but I think the PA Read is in several formations. And the route are different in them all if I'm not mistaken.

Also note that Baylor always has their HB aligned beside the QB so the Flex/Offset Gun formations are not needed.
Off the top of my head I would say I am running 8 shot gun formations 1 power type as my goal line. And a couple under center spread formations. Some are flex just based on the type of plays they come with.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by NKRDIBL; 01-05-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Off the top of my head I would say I am running 8 shot gun formations 1 power type as my goal line. And a couple under center spread formations. Some are flex just based on television type of plays they come with.

You can also use the Dino Babers' version and use some pro style looks, say 70/30 Gun/Under Center.

Whatever it takes to score points. If you watched the Baylor bowl game, Briles ran single wing stuff the entire game and put up 645 yards rushing. complete opposite of his Veer & Shoot but he didn't care. Points is all that matters to him.

Use whatever formations you need to get the ball in the end zone.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Quote:
You can also use the Dino Babers' version and use some pro style looks, say 70/30 Gun/Under Center.

Whatever it takes to score points. If you watched the Baylor bowl game, Briles ran single wing stuff the entire game and put up 645 yards rushing. complete opposite of his Veer & Shoot but he didn't care. Points is all that matters to him.

Use whatever formations you need to get the ball in the end zone.
The reason why they ran so much was lack of QBs though. But I get what you're saying. Baylor roughly runs the ball or does play action 75% of the time. If I can't run the ball on pa plays. Well I'm kinda hooped in what I was trying to accomplish. So probably just stick to the play book I created.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
The reason why they ran so much was lack of QBs though. But I get what you're saying. Baylor roughly runs the ball or does play action 75% of the time. If I can't run the ball on pa plays. Well I'm kinda hooped in what I was trying to accomplish. So probably just stick to the play book I created.

Yeah they literally had no healthy qbs lol.

If I was trying to run Briles' offense to a tee in 14 , I would use his base playbook but have my run game be entirely read option, inverted veer, and sweep. My pass game would be any play action concepts that had plenty of vertical stems and route combos that attacked the safeties. Throw in some pure Run & Shoot concepts and that would be it.

I think you can close to what he tries to accomplish every game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »