Home

Passing Question

This is a discussion on Passing Question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Passing Question

I have some good WR's and decent QB play but when I am playing and not simming, I cant seem to pass for over 200 yards. I play on heisman and 2 on the speed threash hold. My base playbook is Baylor but I customise it and I am Oklahoma in the game! Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Passing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings95
I have some good WR's and decent QB play but when I am playing and not simming, I cant seem to pass for over 200 yards. I play on heisman and 2 on the speed threash hold. My base playbook is Baylor but I customise it and I am Oklahoma in the game! Thanks.
I need more information to better help you. It might be the type of passes you are throwing or you might be playing short games. Give us some more info please.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I need more information to better help you. It might be the type of passes you are throwing or you might be playing short games. Give us some more info please.
I try and throw short, long and all passes that I can throw. It seems out of no where the Dbs are on my WR as soon as he catches it and can't break tackles or score. The longest pass TD I have completed is 30 yards. I can run all day!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
I try and throw short, long and all passes that I can throw. It seems out of no where the Dbs are on my WR as soon as he catches it and can't break tackles or score. The longest pass TD I have completed is 30 yards. I can run all day!
I have no idea why you can't throw for over 200 yards per game based on the info you've given us, but I will say this... I throw for over 5000 a year, sometimes over 6000 and here's how...

I play 12 minute quarters
My QB accuracy is at 5
With those slider settings you have to warm your QB up. In other words, your first pass can't be a bomb, it will likely sail way out of bounds or you'll over throw the WR by 15-20 yards
I have always run the Air Raid, Run & Shoot or my 5-Wide offense, which is a passing only offense... you can read my blog about it in my arena, it's called The Equalizer
Now I am running a Pro offense, using Stanford's playbook as my base, and I still throw for over 5000 yards, set the NCAA record with 67 TD passes in a season and it's because running, for me, is difficult. So I throw a ton... usually short passes. Sometimes your WR will break a short one for a big gain. I like long drives... 15 plays, 16 plays, 18 plays, taking 6:00 to 9:00 minutes off the clock.
You really need to know your offense and what every receiver is doing on every play. If you go into a play with only one or two receivers that you're looking at, that will kill you. You have to be like Joe Montana and know where every single guy will be and make quick reads!

Give us more details and what sliders you're using, that would help!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I have no idea why you can't throw for over 200 yards per game based on the info you've given us, but I will say this... I throw for over 5000 a year, sometimes over 6000 and here's how...

I play 12 minute quarters
My QB accuracy is at 5
With those slider settings you have to warm your QB up. In other words, your first pass can't be a bomb, it will likely sail way out of bounds or you'll over throw the WR by 15-20 yards
I have always run the Air Raid, Run & Shoot or my 5-Wide offense, which is a passing only offense... you can read my blog about it in my arena, it's called The Equalizer
Now I am running a Pro offense, using Stanford's playbook as my base, and I still throw for over 5000 yards, set the NCAA record with 67 TD passes in a season and it's because running, for me, is difficult. So I throw a ton... usually short passes. Sometimes your WR will break a short one for a big gain. I like long drives... 15 plays, 16 plays, 18 plays, taking 6:00 to 9:00 minutes off the clock.
You really need to know your offense and what every receiver is doing on every play. If you go into a play with only one or two receivers that you're looking at, that will kill you. You have to be like Joe Montana and know where every single guy will be and make quick reads!

Give us more details and what sliders you're using, that would help!
Ok when I load it up this weekend I shall post them!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

The overwhelming consensus on NCAA '14 is that user rushing is nearly brokenly easy. I've played this game since release nearly non-stop and I still maintain that passing is even easier.

I usually run a run-heavy spread option attack and my QBs still usually pass for 180-220/game w/ 8 minute quarters (I actually have my sliders so difficult that I almost never average 200 rushing YPG as a team so I have to pass the ball more than I'd like).

I tried something different in a dynasty and ran a Run n Shoot offense. The numbers were so gaudy that I actually had to play on 7 minute quarters because 8 was too much. Still on 7 minute quarters my QBs put up these YPG for me:

RnS passing.PNG

I really like plays with lots of different routes in them so I have lots of options. Instead of calling a "slants" play with 4 slant routes I'd much rather call a play with a streak on the right, out on the right slot, slant on the left slot and curl on the left flanker.

The most important thing is reading the D presnap. Are they in man or zone? Is it cover 1, 2, 3, or 4? Knowing this lets you know which routes are more likely to be open.

I mostly throw short passes (so my QB is almost always last in the conference for YPC), but will take chances down the field when the opportunity presents itself. This is obviously best when you've got speed somewhere. I usually have a wide range of speed on my WRs and I prefer my burners to be on the outside and my taller, slower guys in the slot (I think most people prefer the opposite). With the correct presnap read you know that the streak you have on the outside could be a huge gain if your WR can get by the pressing CB and you drop it in before the safety can get there.

Most of my deep passes (and I usually get a couple per game) come from my burners streaking down the sideline. It should be pretty easy to figure who my 2 fastest (95+ SPD) receivers were in 2018:
receivers.PNG

You see to have the most trouble w/ the deep ball and, as I said, streaking down the sideline are my biggest gainers followed by posts over the middle and corner routes. Any of those can turn into huge gains.

Also, of utmost importance, don't be afraid to dump the ball off to your checkdown or a short route. A 2-5 yard completion is always better than a sack or incompletion.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

Are you playing on "slow" or slower game speed? Anything slower than "normal" game speed will result in your receivers having a momentary hiccup right after they catch the ball, resulting in minimal yards after catch.

Quote:
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 02-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Are you playing on "slow" or slower game speed? Anything slower than "normal" game speed will result in your receivers having a momentary hiccup right after they catch the ball, resulting in minimal yards after catch.
I forgot about this. But it's all "non-normal" game speeds, not just slower ones. I'm not sure of the names, but slowest, slow, fast, and fastest all have the "stuck in mud" glitch you're talking about. Only "normal" is fine.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »