Home

College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA

This is a discussion on College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA

Nearly 25,000 college football and basketball players were determined to have a valid claim to the class action settlement with EA over the use of player likenesses in their college games.

The average player will receive a $1600 check in the settlement -- with lawyers in the case taking a 30 percent cut of the award.

Former UCLA basketball player Ed O'Bannon, former Rutgers quarterback Ryan Hart and former Nebraska and Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller will get the biggest cut amongst players, estimated in the $15000 range.

At this point, the odds of seeing a college sports video game again are still quite low in the next calendar year -- as it would seem that legal structures to protect game makers and schools would need to be enacted for a renewed effort to begin. At this time there hasn't been much push for such structures to be enacted -- at best we are probably a couple of years away from a return of college sports games.

The more realistic outcome, however, is that we'll be waiting for quite a long time for a return of NCAA Football or NCAA Basketball.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA

You are probably corret about not having one for a while. The only thing is now EA knows a players likness for 1 year is worth about $1600. If they wanted to make one soon they could go around to the kids have them sign a wavier allowing them to be in the game and after they graduate they could they pay them back. Now some of the top players may say no but it would make it possible to have a game again. But I'm with you on not getting my hopes up.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Rookie

xSh4dow95's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey7886
You are probably corret about not having one for a while. The only thing is now EA knows a players likness for 1 year is worth about $1600. If they wanted to make one soon they could go around to the kids have them sign a wavier allowing them to be in the game and after they graduate they could they pay them back. Now some of the top players may say no but it would make it possible to have a game again. But I'm with you on not getting my hopes up.
Another way they could go around it is by adding the player creation/edit feature from the PS2 days. The players could have random appearaces by default with the position and number for their name. No contracts are signed and there's no money involved.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19
generic names and ratings all I want are college spots games with the schools and conferences.
I never cared if the players were real or fake when it came to the college ranks,cause after a few years in a legacy mode, the rosters do wind up being generic any ways.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
An NCAA game with random (generic) players wouldn't appeal to enough people. Many are aware you can edit or download an edited roster, but a game shipping with fictitious rosters would be a hard sell on a mass scale.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
An NCAA game with random (generic) players wouldn't appeal to enough people. Many are aware you can edit or download an edited roster, but a game shipping with fictitious rosters would be a hard sell on a mass scale.
Not at all, if the editing options are easy and comprehensive. The issue is EA usually makes it a pain in the *** to do so.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Pro

herropreese's Arena

OVR: 3
I feel nothing.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgunn
Not at all, if the editing options are easy and comprehensive. The issue is EA usually makes it a pain in the *** to do so.
Since EA lost their "exclusive" license for the game, my hope is that 2K or another company makes a college football game and that they have all the correct uniforms and stadiums for the teams, as well as playbooks and they know how to do simple math. Hmmm... a drive starts at my 20, I drive down and score a TD, that makes it an 80 yard drive, not a 74 yard drive.

I also wish the CPU would be mindful of things like clock management and this should be set to how long your quarters are. I am sick and tired of the CPU going on 13 play drives that cover 75 yards, and yet only taking 1:46 off the clock.

If a company could release a great, fully customizable game, then I would be all in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »