Home

I think we are finding out the truth about why we play the games

This is a discussion on I think we are finding out the truth about why we play the games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

OVR: 13
I think we are finding out the truth about why we play the games

I have come across multiple posts on this board about how people are giving up on NCAA b/c it's too hard, going back to NCAA 2004, slowdown blues, etc, etc, etc.....I think it is a telltale sign what people expect to get out of sports video games. I play to win, but frankly, it gets kind of boring beating the computer 67-0 every game with North Carolina Southwestern State. I get more satisfaction out of a challenge. This game is a challenge. It's a lot more fun than 2004 (both games are almost identical in my opinion execpt for the AI) b/c losing is a possibility everytime I step out on the field. With proper slider adjustments (and boiling the disk, lol), this game has become an absolute joy to play.

I think it's safe to say that many of the posters who have given up on the game are probably in the 7-15 age group. Nothing against youngsters, because I was the same way guys, but my favorite sports games are the ones where I actually have to, sorry for the cliche, play hard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Rookie

kewlerthanu182's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: I think we are finding out the truth about why we play the games

Nice post, alot of people just aren't enjoying the challenge
Old 07-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

The following is from Bill Abner's blog:

Quote:

Anyway, I go over to the bizarro-world that is Operation Sports (that forum is just insane sometimes...I feel for the guys that run that place) and I have compiled a personal Top 3 reasons why it's OUR fault that we feel NCAA is a step backward from 2004.

3) You have to READ DEFENSES! EA is authentic!

Ok. This is pure comedy. What does this even mean? Ask these same think-tanks what the big deal is and you'll be greeted with blank stares. Yes, Sparky, I see that they are in a zone...now what? I can't even take advantage of a zone because one guy can cover about 7 yards and DBs can zoom half way acorss the field to break up a pass so tell me, what good is it that I have 'read the defense?' How many times in video football (not just NCAA) do you see 4 or 5 guys clumped together 25 yards down the field breaking up the same pass? Too often. Reading the defense does jack [censored] to help this.

2) Receivers are dropping passes because you have to PUT TOUCH ON IT!

Bah. One dolt will tell you to lob the ball and the other will tell you to bullet pass it. Bottom line: If I throw a crossing route to a wide open Division 1-A receiver he better catch the damn thing more often than he drops it. What separates the good college WRs from the average ones? The ability to GET OPEN (as well as make catches). The 4th string WR at Ohio State will catch a wide open crossing pattern; I don't care if it's shot out of a friggin' cannon. He's 4th string because he doesn't get open and make catches in traffic (or maybe block as well) as the first teamers.

1) EA put the slowdown on the Xbox on purpose!

I love this one. There are people that actually believe this. That EA Sports did this to help us...because slowing down the game makes it easier for us to run the ball, to see holes open, etc.
These people need to stop by the 24 hour labotomy store.

Ah well. See how upset I get? That's what happens when I have the house to myself and a 12 pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade. I get all flustered.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

wildcatchild said:
I have come across multiple posts on this board about how people are giving up on NCAA b/c it's too hard, going back to NCAA 2004, slowdown blues, etc, etc, etc.....I think it is a telltale sign what people expect to get out of sports video games. I play to win, but frankly, it gets kind of boring beating the computer 67-0 every game with North Carolina Southwestern State. I get more satisfaction out of a challenge. This game is a challenge. It's a lot more fun than 2004 (both games are almost identical in my opinion execpt for the AI) b/c losing is a possibility everytime I step out on the field. With proper slider adjustments (and boiling the disk, lol), this game has become an absolute joy to play.

I think it's safe to say that many of the posters who have given up on the game are probably in the 7-15 age group. Nothing against youngsters, because I was the same way guys, but my favorite sports games are the ones where I actually have to, sorry for the cliche, play hard.

I played the other day against the CPU(AA/default) the computer had 7 plays and 21 points. Why?? B/c I was too stupid and left their #1 in single with no safety help.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Define a challenge.

I returned Madden last year for that very reason: I was winning every game by 50+ points and I saw no point in playing it. NCAA 2004 provided more of a challenge to me, and while I have still won most of the games I have played (yes, some by blowout) I still had my tense moments and filled up my Greatest Games list rather quickly.

With 2005 there are changes. Some are good, some are not. The new defensive controls are a challenge. They are a challenge to learn both the control for them and the right time to use them. Thats a good thing, it makes the gameplay fresh. Plus they seem to work most of the time.

The passing game is a challenge too I suppose. A challenge to not heave your controller through the wall the 14th time you have a drop by a wide open receiver. I could always accept more drops in the NCAA series because hey, its college ball. Not everyone is that good, and gameplay isn't as tight as in the NFL. This goes beyond that. The passing game is indeed flawed.

Its not a matter of not liking a challenge, or not being willing to spend time improving. I will still play this and try to find a way to make the passing work. I just don't know that it can be done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
K*ngs *f th* D*nc*!

PdiddyPop's Arena

OVR: 26

all i have to say is i cant get enough of this game because as Sheed says "Both teams played hard."
Old 07-19-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

WHen a sports game is challenging it can be like a book with no happy ending from some people. Every year, every body wins the championship and gets all of the 5* recruits.

I give credit to EA for at least trying to translate an analog game to a digital format. Could it use tweaking? Yes, but it's a very good start. Change is hard for some people. Now you know why they've kept Madden the way it is for so many years. If people get uncomfortable they might switch games.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Where can I find Bill Abner's blog?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »