Home

Xbox Overheating

This is a discussion on Xbox Overheating within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0
Xbox Overheating

I'm sure this is the wrong thread, but with everyone here still playing on the 360 I thought someone might have gone through something similar. Got the itch to play some NCAA 14, pulled the old 360 out of the closet, plugged it in, fired it up. Played for about 2 hours, starting a new dynasty with Iowa State, sit down to play my first game and about 4 plays in, Xbox clicks off and gives me 2 red lights on left side. From then on, I could barely get my xbox to stay on for 1 minute, no gameplay before it did the same thing. Did some research found out this was an overheating issue and tried to fix it. Disassembled the box, cleared out a lot of dust from the mother board and cooling mechanisms, reassembled. Now we are back to where we were. I can run the thing, stay on the homepage and it will work for hours, but once I actually try to start playing a game it clicks off with the 2 red lights soon there after. Anyone had similar problems, no of any fixes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
MVP

whughes's Arena

Re: Xbox Overheating

I'm a PlayStation guy so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. But I remember seeing a thing a few years back where a guy took the outside cover off his xbox and wrapped it in a towel. The Xbox then worked for like 6 months or something before he got the red ring of death. I don't advise you to try that without doing some research on it first, I'm sure you can find the exact video I'm talking about. But it gives you somewhere to start. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 06-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
I'm a PlayStation guy so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. But I remember seeing a thing a few years back where a guy took the outside cover off his xbox and wrapped it in a towel. The Xbox then worked for like 6 months or something before he got the red ring of death. I don't advise you to try that without doing some research on it first, I'm sure you can find the exact video I'm talking about. But it gives you somewhere to start. Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Yea I've seen that and actually done it way back when. Buys it some time, but it's actually just causing more damage.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
MVP

whughes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_0_3

Yea I've seen that and actually done it way back when. Buys it some time, but it's actually just causing more damage.
Ya I know. Worse case scenario you'll just have to drop $50 on a used one. With the new systems out new you can get 360s and ps3s for pretty cheap now

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Rookie

Jazon654's Arena

you need to clean the dust of your fan and heatsink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFD94d6mDFE
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazon654
you need to clean the dust of your fan and heatsink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFD94d6mDFE
Did that already.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
MVP

I assume this is a white original xbox. When you have the Red Ring Of Death, it's three lights not two. Two does indicate overheating but it's more likely a fan problem or it's not getting enough ventilation. Try replacing the fan or put it by an air conditioner in an open cool place and see if that helps.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

You may be screwed. It may be worth it to just go find a cheap one. The cost of repair may outweigh or come close to the cost of a used system at GameStop.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »