Home

Modio and Horizon does not see USB Drive

This is a discussion on Modio and Horizon does not see USB Drive within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Modio and Horizon does not see USB Drive

I hope everyone here has ran into this problem before so let me provide some background.

Computer OS: Windows 10.0.14393.51

Flash Drive Model used: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8GB

Procedures to get Modio or Horizon to read Drive:

1) Flash Drive is formatted in Windows 10 as NTFS.
2) Plug flash drive into Xbox 360 and it seees the available space on the drive.
3) Tell Xbox 360 to format flash drive and the flash drive is formatted.
4) Copy NCAA Dynasty profile to flash drive.
5) Insert flash drive into PC.
6) PC reports to "insert a disk into USB Drive" or a message similar to that. Also noticing the PC does not show available or free space. I am assuming it is because of the file system use by xbox 360.
7) I go into disk management and notice the flash drive is unallocated status. I select simple volume and assign a letter but do not format. This makes the flash drive RAW.
8) Plug flash drive back into xbox 360. Xbox 360 sees the drive as unformatted. I tell xbox to configure the drive as new. It says the drive test is slow but it successfully formatted the drive.
9) Again, copy the dynasty file to the flash drive from the xbox 360 hard drive.
10) Plug flash drive back into the computer.
11) Still reports to insert disk into USB Drive H: and does not show free or total space on the drive in This PC (My Computer)
12) Modio or Horizon do not see the flash drive. I have tried USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 (on the back of the computer with no success.

Anyone have any issues like this and can it be fixed. Am I doing something wrong?

The only other thing I thought of was to use my original Xplorer 360 software and plug my xbox 360 side hard drive into the SATA adapter and pull the files form that. I was hoping the USB option would be easier.

Thanks for you help! I was hoping to modify my teams 1st year dynasty from the original 2013 scheule to reflect the 2016 schedule so it's mroe realistic. I already have the newest rosters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Modio and Horizon does not see USB Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzion5303
I hope everyone here has ran into this problem before so let me provide some background.

Computer OS: Windows 10.0.14393.51

Flash Drive Model used: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8GB

Procedures to get Modio or Horizon to read Drive:

1) Flash Drive is formatted in Windows 10 as NTFS.
2) Plug flash drive into Xbox 360 and it seees the available space on the drive.
3) Tell Xbox 360 to format flash drive and the flash drive is formatted.
4) Copy NCAA Dynasty profile to flash drive.
5) Insert flash drive into PC.
6) PC reports to "insert a disk into USB Drive" or a message similar to that. Also noticing the PC does not show available or free space. I am assuming it is because of the file system use by xbox 360.
7) I go into disk management and notice the flash drive is unallocated status. I select simple volume and assign a letter but do not format. This makes the flash drive RAW.
8) Plug flash drive back into xbox 360. Xbox 360 sees the drive as unformatted. I tell xbox to configure the drive as new. It says the drive test is slow but it successfully formatted the drive.
9) Again, copy the dynasty file to the flash drive from the xbox 360 hard drive.
10) Plug flash drive back into the computer.
11) Still reports to insert disk into USB Drive H: and does not show free or total space on the drive in This PC (My Computer)
12) Modio or Horizon do not see the flash drive. I have tried USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 (on the back of the computer with no success.

Anyone have any issues like this and can it be fixed. Am I doing something wrong?

The only other thing I thought of was to use my original Xplorer 360 software and plug my xbox 360 side hard drive into the SATA adapter and pull the files form that. I was hoping the USB option would be easier.

Thanks for you help! I was hoping to modify my teams 1st year dynasty from the original 2013 scheule to reflect the 2016 schedule so it's mroe realistic. I already have the newest rosters.
Finally got it to work.

Here is what I had to do.

1) format the flash drive as NTFS
2) go to your 360 hard drive and hit Y for Transfer. Select the flash drive as destination
3) hit configure it will take up more than half the space on a 1GB drive. Copy your save over that you want to copy.
4) Plug into PC but it can't yet be accessed. If it can be access you should have a name.txt file (Do not remove or rename this file) We will edit it. More on that a few steps later.
5) go to Computer Management then Disk management
6) Assign a Drive Letter
7) you should now see name.txt
8) open the text file and edit what is inside. It may say "USB Flash Drive" and rename it to "XeX Menu" without the quotes. Save the text file.
9) Open and run Horizon or modio v3 as administrator.
10) It should now be detected.

P.S. Putting in XeX Menu in name.txt also made modio work and I'm using version 3

It took me forever but putting in XeX Menu into name.txt was the key.

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

Quote:

When I try to access the the drive, it tells me I need to format it before I can use it. I cannot see name.txt Anyone else able to get this working?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

Quote:
The issue seems to be the version of Windows 10. I put the USB in a different computer (version 10.0.10586) and can see name.txt. I did the rename thing and tried it on my computer (running version 10.0.14393) but could not access the USB without being prompted to format it and Horizon did not recognize it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a definite issue with 10.0.14393. Microsoft programming out Xbox 360 compatibility [conspiracy theory coming!!!!] so they can sell Xbox Ones?
Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Rookie

I think you are correct.

The laptop I am on is 10.0.10586 and name.txt shows up but when the flash drive is plugged into my main computer with build 10.0.14393, it was me to format the flash drive.

I wonder if anyone has a known fix or if it's best to stay with 10.0.10586 or with Windows 7. I am considering having a dual-boot of Windows 7 just for using these tools.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

So I had the crazy idea to contact Microsoft. I started with Windows support, as it seems to be a Windows issue that it can no longer read a USB formatted by the Xbox 360. The tech did the best he could. I even showed him this tread while he was remoted into my computer and he tried following Fuzion5303's steps. Here's the conversation:

Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Macky Aaron T.
1:25 pm
Me Hi! I'm Nathan.
1:26 pm

Macky Aaron T Hi Nathan! Nice meeting you! How are you today?
1:26 pm

Me Not bad...just having issues with Xbox 360 data on a USB drive. Windows now thinks it needs to format the drive when I plug it in the pc. It used to be able to read the drive without issue before.
1:27 pm

Macky Aaron T I see, since you've mentioned before, may I ask when was this concern started to happen?

1:28 pm

Me It has been a couple of months since I last tried it, but I have been on Windows 10 for a while, so it seems an update may have "broken" it. The last time I tried it, which was successfully, was mid-May.
1:29 pm

Macky Aaron T Let me also give your case/reference number, this number will be your number for the specific issue or concern for future references. Here it is: 1352046870

1:29 pm

Macky Aaron T I see, when had we updated if I may ask?
1:30 pm

Macky Aaron T I just want to make sure if we are still connected?

1:32 pm

Me I have auto updates on, so it happens regularly. I did the most recent up a week or so ago, the cumulative one to verson 10.0.14393.51

Me Not sure what version I would have been on in mid-May.

Me But it was Windows 10.
1:33 pm

Macky Aaron T I see, thank you for providing me this information Nathan, I'll be documenting this for you. I understand how important this is for you. Let us work together in finding the best resolution to this issue.
1:33 pm

Macky Aaron T Before we go any further Nathan. I just would like to let you know that we have series of premium support that I can discuss to you later on if you're interested. For now, let me share a good news to you. We provide mainstream support for download, install activation and application scenarios so you'll definitely get a no charge technical assistance specifically to this issue. Sounds great right?

1:34 pm

Macky Aaron T By the way, by any chance that this is something that's beyond our expertise, I may need to refer you to another department that are specialized to handle your concerns. If that happens, I'll be the one who'll help you to get the right person you need. For now let’s do our best to diagnose and/or resolve your concern quickly if we can. Alright?

1:36 pm

Me Sounds good.
1:36 pm

Macky Aaron T For me to perform better troubleshooting steps on your PC, I might need to perform a remote session, would that be alright?
1:37 pm

Me that's good.

Macky Aaron T Thank you. For the remote session, kindly click on the link provided. http://support.microsoft.com/help and enter this PIN Code: #######

Macky Aaron T Click "I Accept" > Enter the PIN code > Connect to the Technician. Then please download the applet and please click on Run/Ok/Accept/Continue on all the windows that might pop up.

1:38 pm

Macky Aaron T For your security, if you have files, folders or any data, credentials that you don't want me to see, please close it for now so that we can still retain your privacy and also you have the capability to disconnect us from your computer by selecting the "Red x button".

1:38 pm

Macky Aaron T I am now connected and have access to your desktop.

1:39 pm

Me i have an Xbox USB attached
1:39 pm

Me it is drive F
1:40 pm

Macky Aaron T I will be navigating your computer as we troubleshoot. If you need to do or say anything to me, please feel free to use your mouse since you are the prioritized user of the remote session. You can do this anytime you feel so. Thank you.

1:40 pm

Macky Aaron T The Xbox controller can it be recognized just want to check.
1:45 pm

Me i have never attempted to connect my controller to my pc
1:45 pm

Me this pc was originally windows 7, but i did the free upgrade
1:46 pm

Macky Aaron T I see, thank you for giving that information.

1:46 pm

Macky Aaron T Have we tried going wireless?

1:48 pm

Me tried what wireless?
1:48 pm

Macky Aaron T Yes Wirelessly connecting the xbox to pc?

1:49 pm

Me I do not have a wireless adapter for the xbox. is there a way to direct connect if I get one?
1:50 pm

Macky Aaron T Yes since we have an xbox app readily available on Windows 10.

1:51 pm

Macky Aaron T Is this our first time to try the app?

1:53 pm

Me I seem to remember looking at it before, but it was more for Xbox One
1:54 pm

Me It shows "Xbox One not listed?"
1:54 pm

Me i seem to remember trying to connect to the 360 by IP when I had it wired to the network and it did not work.
1:55 pm

Macky Aaron T I see. Upon plugging in the xbox 360 to our pc , what are we planning to perform?

1:56 pm

Me I use it to access NCAA Football 14 save files
1:56 pm

Macky Aaron T I see, thank you. Is the wired used to connect the xbox 360 exclusively for it? Or is it like the wires of android phones?

1:57 pm

Me when i had it wired into the network, i was connecting for xbox online gold games
1:58 pm

Macky Aaron T Since this had happened after the update, I am planning to perform a system restore, this will roll back to the last date before updating Nathan. Are we good for this?

2:03 pm

Me what all is rolled back?
2:03 pm

Macky Aaron T It will revert back to the way it was before the upgrade.
2:04 pm

Macky Aaron T update sorry

Macky Aaron T *

Me what about other files created and/or updated....like spreadsheets or word docs?

Macky Aaron T The files will remain, as for the programs after the update will be removed.
2:05 pm

Me and does this mean i have to turn off updates?
2:05 pm

Macky Aaron T Not really since it's possible that it just had a corrupted update and possible that the drivers where not updated correctly.
2:06 pm

Me i know for a fact that i'm not the only one trying to access these files having the same issue as i am on the same version as me
2:07 pm

Me this post is what may me test my system, though i wasn't really planning on accessing the save file yet
2:08 pm

Me i tried his steps, but it did not work
2:10 pm

Macky Aaron T Let me check it , is the Drive F the USB or the Xbox itself?

2:11 pm

Me i did get the drive formatted as ntfs and the xbox could read it, but the pc could not access it after the transfer

Me yes....drive f is it

Macky Aaron T You mean drive F is your USB?

Me i haven't tried the steps on this particular usb drive...i tested on another one

Me F is a 32 GB usb drive with xbox data on it
2:12 pm

Macky Aaron T How did you reformat this? could you show me please?
2:12 pm

Me don't remember exactly how i googled it....i used the cmd prompt and ran a program that way to format it the first time
2:14 pm

Macky Aaron T Can I reformat the drive F?

Me formatting in windows would not work

Me let's test on disk 2...it is a gig usb
2:16 pm

Macky Aaron T Disk 2 is healthy
2:17 pm

Me want me to format it on the xbox?

Macky Aaron T Please do.

Me formatted and copied a save file to it
2:20 pm

Macky Aaron T I see now it's unallocated. Let me check.

2:21 pm

Macky Aaron T Nathan we have two options for you.

2:24 pm

Macky Aaron T Your decision will be our decision.
2:25 pm

Macky Aaron T The first option is for us to perform a system restore for this so that it will be able to once again regain what it was before the update, the second will be we might need to seek assistance you our professionals with xbox, what will be your decision Nathan? (smiles)
2:26 pm

Me how many updates have there been since May 14th? That's the last time I knowingly was able to access the file. Going back will only cure the most recent update, which was obviously a big update.
2:28 pm

Macky Aaron T Don't worry there were just one update, that had occur Nathan.

2:28 pm

Macky Aaron T It was on August 7,2016
2:29 pm

Me So going back removes that, but then we have unknowns...was it a bad install on my machine, and at least one other person trying this...and if it was just an update issue, will the next update fix it?
2:30 pm

Me I'm leaning on going with contacting the xbox support, but show me how to roll it back in case they cannot fix it
2:31 pm

Macky Aaron T Since the new update was new, then yes we might still be able to have troubles with it including the drivers. Going back will only remove the programs that has been installed prior to the date of the update. The files wouldn't be removed.
2:32 pm

Me however, since it worked before on xbox, and i have not updated my xbox in quite some time, it would seem to be a Windows issue, and not an xbox issue
2:33 pm

Macky Aaron T Oh, don't worry it doesn't necessarily means that it's just the xbox, anything that goes with xbox including this will be their scope of support. For us we may be able to provide basic troubleshooting first, for inquires for games that was downloaded on the Microsoft Store that was not been able to download, install or activate (smiles)
2:34 pm

Macky Aaron T Do you want me to show you now how to perform the system restore?
2:36 pm

Me show me how i do the restore

Macky Aaron T It would be my honor.

Macky Aaron T I will also type it down so you will have a copy.

2:37 pm

Macky Aaron T Once we click next it will perform.

2:38 pm

Me i took pics
2:38 pm

Macky Aaron T Oh, did I miss one pic that is important?
2:39 pm

Macky Aaron T I'll do it again if you want.

Me no...was just saying i took pics of the steps so i wouldn't miss one

Macky Aaron T Alright, that will be all the steps to perform system restore Nathan.
2:40 pm

Me i can handle that....how do i reach out to xbox support?

Macky Aaron T Let me provide their contact information for you Nathan one moment.

Macky Aaron T Here is the link for chat support : https://support.xbox.com/en-US/reque...t&usesCes=true&

2:42 pm

Macky Aaron T We also have phone support would you like it Nathan?

Me chat works best

Macky Aaron T Alright , that would be for the chat support Nathan, exclusively for you.

2:43 pm

Me sounds great. Thanks for help me today!

Macky Aaron T You are most welcome Nathan!

Macky Aaron T Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance. Here's the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/menu/ and the service request number is: 1352046870

Macky Aaron T Before we end our chat, I just want to confirm if I’ve provided you enough answers about your concern? I will also be sending you an email to inform you about the chat session, and to give you the direct links as well as your reference number.

2:44 pm

Me You have done a great job and showed me everything you needed to show me. I'm moving over to the xbox support to see if they have any insights on this issue. If they do not, then I will be rolling back the latest update, which you covered fully.
2:46 pm

Macky Aaron T Thank you for visiting Microsoft AnswerDesk, again my name is Macky and have a great day! Once you are ready to end the chat kindly click on the "End Chat" button.

2:46 pm

Though I ended chat sure this was a Windows update issue, I took his advice and contacted Xbox support. This went over about as well as a fart in church:

Hi, thanks for visiting Xbox Support! I'm Melanie L.
2:57 pm
Melanie L Hi Nathan. I hope you are doing fine today.
2:57 pm

Me I'm good...just having issues retrieving a 360 save file on my pc
2:58 pm

Melanie L Just to be sure, you are trying to access your game data from your Xbox 360 console to your PC, is that right?
2:59 pm

Me That is correct. I used to be able to do it without issue, but saw a post online of a possible problem only to find I was having the same issue
3:00 pm

Me The issue may be related to the most recent Windows 10 update. Now when I plug the USB into the pc, it tells me I need to format it to use it.
3:01 pm

Me I contacted support and they suggested I contact xbox support or roll the pc back before the last update.
3:01 pm

Melanie L May I ask if you are trying to use the xbox 360 game saves for your Windows PC game?
3:02 pm

Melanie L Also what specific game is it?
3:02 pm

Me No. There is a pc tool for EA saves that allow you to extract the data for use. I'm taking an NCAA Football 14 save file and exporting the data to Excel so it is easier to use, rather than having to scroll through so much on the Xbox.
3:03 pm

Me This is the post online that made me test mine: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...usb-drive.html
3:03 pm

Me I had taken a break from the game over the summer, but was going to start playing again soon. The last time I had successfully transferred a file was 5/14
3:04 pm

Me Windows support said there had only been one update since that date, and it was on 8/7
3:05 pm

Melanie L I am sorry for the long wait Nathan. I have reviewed the game here and our record should show that its game saves are transferrable to different platform especially computer. We have new features here that will say if the game is playable on Xbox One, Xbox 360 or to computer and if ever the game developer announced that it is possible to transfer the game saves from PC to 360 or vice versa, it should be announced directly from their website and should be accessible on our end.
3:08 pm

Melanie L Apparently this feature seems to be not a suggested or rather a proper way of earning game saves from one platform to another.
3:09 pm

Me I know they were transferrable, as I have done it many times before. The issue now is that I can format a USB drive on the 360, copy a save file to it, and Windows 10, version 10.0.14393.51 will not even recognize the drive as valid
3:11 pm

Me Is it possible the 360 needs to be updated after the Windows update?
3:12 pm

Melanie L Possible that was done using a third party software Nathan. And to be honest this case should be done on Game developer's end as well so they can help us clarify this issue. But based on our findings here, the game saves on 360 is not yet transferrable to Windows especially Windows 10. There are very games that are playable on two platforms and I believe that feature is only available at the moment between Windows 10 and Xbox One.
3:13 pm

Me In the past, I have used a third party software to access the save file and extract the data. Also in the past, I was able to put the USB into my pc and see the xbox files using Explorer. Now I cannot access the USB in any format. Windows sees it as an invalid drive and wants to format it.
3:16 pm

Melanie L Please see the new feature Play Anywhere games and see the current list of games playable on Windows 10 and Xbox One device.

Melanie L http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

Melanie L 3:17 pm

Me Unfortunately, because of a massive lawsuit, the NCAA Football series was suspended before it was available for Xbox One.
3:17 pm

Melanie L I hope that explains that Nathan. Do not worry we will also be reporting this case here and investigate that feature and if that is a legit process.
3:17 pm

Me Honestly, it didn't help, but I am planning on rolling back the Windows update in hopes to fix the issue. I think this is more of a Windows issue, rather than an xbox issue, but they suggested I contact xbox support.
3:20 pm

Melanie L To be honest, this is my expertise and as far as I know 360 games has never been transferrable or accessible to Windows OS because not all 360 games that has an Xbox one game version that can be accessed through Windows PC. Regarding your case, as much as we really would like to help you out it would be best to contact the game developer EA support so you can also verify this with them and if this is a valid process or feature with that game
3:24 pm

Me But what I'm saying is that I have been able to transfer save files to pc in the past. Not to be played on pc, but to extract the data out of them. There is an entire online community doing this with NCAA Football and Madden. The issue here seems to be that the latest Windows update no longer recognizes the 360 USB formatting. I do not think my issue here is the game, but rather the way the latest Windows update sees an Xbox 360 formatted USB drive.
3:27 pm

Me It does take third party software to access the files and extract the data, and I'm fine on that side. My issue is that I can no longer get to the files because of the most recent Windows update.
3:28 pm

Melanie L Our expertise are only limited to issues encountered with Xbox Consoles and to be honest, we are not really aware of the process that you are doing with the game saves of your 360. The only thing that we can do here is to have this reported so we can validate it as well with the game developer.
3:33 pm

Melanie L Regardless if you were able to do this with the older versions of Windows. This should not be possible as we don't have the article about it on our website or even the support site of EA.
3:34 pm

Me You are saying that Windows should have never been able to access a USB formatted on an Xbox 360 ever?
3:35 pm

Melanie L What we want to clarify here is that the game saves for the specific game that you provided should not be playable on Windows device.
3:37 pm

Melanie L Though of course there are contents that will work on PC that are accessible on Xbox 360 like music and other media files that are of the same format.
3:37 pm

Me I'm not trying to play anything on Windows, just access the file that is saved on a USB drive formatted on an xbox 360.
3:38 pm

Me The third party softare exports things like rosters, game results, coach information, and recruit information.
3:39 pm

Melanie L I got it but for that case we do not have any information about that and we can only provide information that covers our scope of support Nathan.
3:39 pm

Me The issue is that my current version of Windows does not recognize the file structure of the USB
3:40 pm

Melanie L I hope you understand and also, this process seem to be a way of modifying game saves, if ever you have accessed your 360 game saves before, I suppose that is only with the help of third party software that we do not advice here on our end as official Xbox support agent.
3:41 pm

Me Let's back up....is it possible to put an mp3 on a USB drive and tranfer that file onto the xbox 360?
3:41 pm

Melanie L If you ever plugged in a USB from Xbox 360 and put it on Windows device, the content might be found but would never been accessible using the usual process.
3:42 pm

Melanie L You can check the link below for more information on the feature that links the PC directly Xbox 360 feature Nathan.
3:44 pm

Melanie L https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...22b9a60482b8b3
3:44 pm

Me Think we've taken this as far as we can. Thank you for your assistance. I think my only option at this time it to revert the pc back to before the last update and see if that fixes my issue.
3:46 pm

Melanie L Thank you for your understanding. I would also suggest that you check this link below about the usage of Flash drive in Xbox 360 console. We do encourage our customer to use Flash drive but using a third party software to extract your game saves may be consider as tampering or modification. I hope that you won't do it again on just in case reverting your Windows OS didn't resolve the issue
3:51 pm

Melanie L http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...lash-drive-faq
3:51 pm

Me Thanks for the link and have a great day!
3:53 pm

Melanie L You are most welcome Nathan. I still hope I was able to provide you clarification and information about this one.
3:53 pm

Melanie L If that is everything, I'd like to thank you again for bringing this concern to us. I appreciate your time and patience. Have a great day and take care. Thank you for contacting Xbox Chat Support.
3:54 pm

In the end, I find myself about to roll my pc back to before the latest Windows 10 update (as soon as I post this). I'll let you know if this fixes the issue or not once I get back up and running.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

....and my only restore point was not prior to 10.0.14393.51

My advice...do not install the latest Windows 10 update if you haven't already (it was a cumulative update from 8/7). If you are in the same boat as me, find another computer to be able to access the files prior to the update and hope that Microsoft fixes this in a future update.

I have not hooked my xbox up to the internet in a while, so I guess it is possible a patch may already be out or soon be out from the xbox side to fix this. Can anyone confirm a patch may be out that fixed this?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Rookie

I can definitely tell you it's a Windows update issue between 10.0.10586 to 10.0.14393.51.

My xbox 360 is fully updated with the latest update on it so the only conclusion I can arrive to is that this is a Windows problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »