Home

Kicking FGs

This is a discussion on Kicking FGs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Kicking FGs

Kicking FGs in past versions were cake. Too easy. I am actually having a hard time on 14. Accuracy is the problem. I have fg accuracy jacked up to 100 and I still miss 35 yard FGs badly at times. Sometimes I'm fine but what is the key to kicking FGs? Any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Kicking FGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke888
Kicking FGs in past versions were cake. Too easy. I am actually having a hard time on 14. Accuracy is the problem. I have fg accuracy jacked up to 100 and I still miss 35 yard FGs badly at times. Sometimes I'm fine but what is the key to kicking FGs? Any tips?
This was completely unexpected. I read your title and came here to give you my tips to add challenge to FGs so that you won't make 100% of them. I've been on this site for a while and I think this is the 1st time I've read anyone saying that kicking FGs is difficult in '14 as the overwhelming consensus is that FGs are pretty much automatic.

If you thought they were cake before '14 and you're struggling now (nothing has really changed in '14) then I'm guessing it's a slider issue. I think that the FGP slider (not FGA) if it's too low causes the kicker to miss entirely too often. Try both kicking sliders on 50 and see if that helps.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Rookie

Yeah idk what is going on. If I'm lined up, no problem. If I'm offset my accuracy is just terrible. I've got it at fgp50 and fga100. I probably just need to go to practice screen and try to hit about 100 FGs
Old 08-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke888
Yeah idk what is going on. If I'm lined up, no problem. If I'm offset my accuracy is just terrible. I've got it at fgp50 and fga100. I probably just need to go to practice screen and try to hit about 100 FGs
Are you just moving the stick straight down and then straight up? If you are, you're doing it wrong. If you're on the hash, you have to move the stick up in the direction of where you want to ball to go. For example, kicking from the left hash means you must move the stick up and to the right.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krush
Are you just moving the stick straight down and then straight up? If you are, you're doing it wrong. If you're on the hash, you have to move the stick up in the direction of where you want to ball to go. For example, kicking from the left hash means you must move the stick up and to the right.
Yeah, I'm just horrible at it. Practice practice practice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Maybe you need to work on your aim, as in with the "arrow" if you will. Sometimes it's hard to judge just how far you are pushing the left or right. In reality, it just needs a slight directional tap. Pick kickers based on accuracy, not power, when recruiting. That may help.

Otherwise, I thought this was going to be about how to add challenge. I went 21/23 with my kicker this year. Only two misses were because I pushed his distance a bit too much.

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
This was completely unexpected. I read your title and came here to give you my tips to add challenge to FGs so that you won't make 100% of them. I've been on this site for a while and I think this is the 1st time I've read anyone saying that kicking FGs is difficult in '14 as the overwhelming consensus is that FGs are pretty much automatic.

If you thought they were cake before '14 and you're struggling now (nothing has really changed in '14) then I'm guessing it's a slider issue. I think that the FGP slider (not FGA) if it's too low causes the kicker to miss entirely too often. Try both kicking sliders on 50 and see if that helps.
On that note, what are some tips that you use to add challenge to your FGs? I'm just curious.

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksForever
On that note, what are some tips that you use to add challenge to your FGs? I'm just curious.
When I actually kick FGs (which I almost never do anymore) I wouldn't allow myself to use the LS to aim the kick presnap. The only left/right change I could do was with the RS so if my kicker was on a hash I basically had to either hook or slice the ball through the uprights.

Now I do coach mode and I watch a supersim of my FGs (RB to go to supersim and I think X to watch the play). If the supersim won't kick it (IE. I'm at the edge of my kicker's range or I'm in a 4th and short where the CPU may choose to go for it) then I'll do it manually like I wrote above.

I REALLY like watched supersim FGs and even if I didn't do coach mode I'd do that. It makes the kicker's ratings matter (oh yeah, I also subtract 20 from all of my incoming kickers' KAC rating). Kicking manually you can just recruit a guy with the strongest leg and even if he had 40 accuracy you could still make 100% of your FGs. With simmed FGs, that guy will miss a lot more. In my current dynasty I had a power kicker and during his FR year I had to recruit an accurate kicker to replace him so I have 2 kickers on my squad right now.

Here's the career stats for my kickers:
Capture.PNG

It should be pretty obvious that good ole J.J. Moody is the power kicker that I had to replace. After my -20 KAC change I think he had about 45 KAC as a FR. He's only made 60% of his FGs and he's even missed one less than 30 yds deep. He's 0/4 from 40+ and none of those were short. His replacement Colby McIntyre was 2/4 from 40+ as a true FR and I think 1 of those was short. McIntyre may not be able to kick a 50 yarder (but probably could as a JR) but I'll take 83% made FGs over 60% (especially since the 60% dude can't make a 50 yarder either).

Caldwell was another power guy and David was accurate. You'd likely never see this kind of disparity with manually kicked FGs.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »