Home

Supreme Court Will Not consider O'Bannon case again.

This is a discussion on Supreme Court Will Not consider O'Bannon case again. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Supreme Court Will Not consider O'Bannon case again.

So news came down this morning that the US Supreme Court will not consider the Ed O'Bannon case again. Here is a link to the story: http://usat.ly/2cNsFme

And here is what it means for the future college games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Supreme Court Will Not consider O'Bannon case again.

So, super unlikely to happen anytime soon. Darn.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Monday’s decision leaves intact the 9th Circuit’s dual rulings that:

--The NCAA’s regulations are subject to antitrust scrutiny, and rules limiting football and men’s basketball players to receiving tuition, fees, room, board and books violate antitrust laws.

--While antitrust law requires that schools be allowed to provide these athletes with scholarships that cover all of their costs of attending college, including travel and personal incidentals, “it does not require more,” such as what it termed “cash sums untethered to educational expenses.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...case/91462090/
Old 10-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Rookie

jgthedon's Arena

Good thing NCAA 14 is a great game !
Old 10-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
MVP

My issue with courts in these cases is instead of providing clarity and working with the parties involved to find a way forward - in this case with a new game - they simply issue edicts from on high and leave everybody in limbo. Now nobody knows what is and isn't allowed in creating a new game. If the NCAA and EA reach an agreement with each other to license a new game with generic rosters will that be legal or will athletes and lawyers line up to sue?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

Doesn't this mean that this type of case can't be tried again? So essentially EA could make a game with completely random rosters (which is what they should have done previously) and not worry about the potential for a lawsuit. That's how I am taking it as but the courts now-a-days never make sense and there is always gray areas.

Also, couldn't schools individually license with EA instead of using the NCAA?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736
Doesn't this mean that this type of case can't be tried again? So essentially EA could make a game with completely random rosters (which is what they should have done previously) and not worry about the potential for a lawsuit. That's how I am taking it as but the courts now-a-days never make sense and there is always gray areas.

Also, couldn't schools individually license with EA instead of using the NCAA?

This type of case be tried again and probably will be, meaning a likeness issue. This case itself can't be heard again, I think.

Also pastapadre wrote an article on why we won't be seeing a game from a AAA publisher anytime soon. http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...w1spwxi7moms4a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
My issue with courts in these cases is instead of providing clarity and working with the parties involved to find a way forward - in this case with a new game - they simply issue edicts from on high and leave everybody in limbo. Now nobody knows what is and isn't allowed in creating a new game. If the NCAA and EA reach an agreement with each other to license a new game with generic rosters will that be legal or will athletes and lawyers line up to sue?
Courts aren't there to make everybody happy, or "find a way forward." Courts are given specific legal questions and are tasked with applying the facts and interpreting the law to come out with the "correct" legal decision based on that analysis. Courts do not (or at least should not) make rulings based on what makes the most people happy or what gets a new product to the market; that's not their role (doing what the population wants is, Constitutionally, the function of the legislature, not the judiciary).

Notably, the lower court's initial ruling seemed to offer a "way forward"--with any company using player likenesses (here, we'll use EA) paying a maximum of $5,000 to be put in a trust for the player, to be released upon the player's completion of eligibility. This would have effectively court-ordered a way around the NCAA's current "no-pay" rules, and compensated the players so they could no longer sue EA for using their likeness. But the 9th Circuit ruling overruled just THAT PART of the lower court's decision, still holding that the NCAA rules are wrong but not ordering any way around it.

Last edited by TimLawNYC; 10-03-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »