Home

Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

This is a discussion on Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #25
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

OVR: 0
Not to fear chums. There is talk to allow limited likeness compensation to athletes. I always considered this an option more viable than the courtroom route. Take a quick read:
In an interview with SI Now's Maggie Gray, Big East Commmissioner Val Ackerman stated that she believes within a year or two, NCAA student-athletes could receive endorsement deals.
Here's the link for details:
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...orsement-Deals

Here's the SI.com video:
http://www.si.com/more-sports/video/...t-commissioner

Last edited by Cam Fan; 10-04-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 01:59 AM   #26
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

Here's the link to my previous post
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/college-football/878505-big-east-commish-says-ncaa-considering-endorsement-deals.html
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #27
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookjn
I disagree with this sentiment. College football stars just aren't on their teams long enough to make a real impact with the average fan. How many fans can tell you about Jauan Jennings or Jourdan Lewis? How many fans knew who Lamar Jackson was around the time a new NCAA would have been theoretically released? As long as EA makes a game that replicates the excitement of college football and gives us each team's relative talent level, I firmly believe that people will buy it.
I cosign this one times 1000. College, more than any other sport IMO is about the schools and emotions. Yes. The players are a big part of it. I have lived and died (big time Saturday) with my Bulldogs for about 20 years now. It's the schools, rivalries, atmosphere, games like Saturday at Tennessee that hurt like hell but I love it. I could never get that vested in an NFL game. As a Georgia fan I been there a lot. Given where we are with litigation it seems the only plausible path is what 2K has done (complete fictional, non editable/sharable rosters, even going so far as to not allow the possibility); just blow it out. Get the schools, conferences and NCAA. Ensure that the rosters are don't come close to infringing on a players likeness. No cute stuff. This is just the reality. Its far better than some all generic college game. I cant see that selling at all. A real NCAA Football (or basketball) game with our favorite schools, stadiums and rivalries running on that Madden engine. That's something right there.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #28
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25
They need to just license the players already and provide compensation (provided by NCAA, not EA) within reason.

They keep trying to dance around that issue and it's not going to work.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #29
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL253
They need to just license the players already and provide compensation (provided by NCAA, not EA) within reason.

They keep trying to dance around that issue and it's not going to work.
This is the problem and what makes this, in terms of the existence of the NCAA and Feds, impossible. What is reasonable compensation? What about Title IX?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #30
Pro

Since NCAA '14 was previously released, could they update/patch it without fear of further litigation? If so, wouldn't it be great to see a patch that A) provided a slider to increase scouting difficulty, B) updated conferences/added teams, and C) ported the game over to PS4.

I know it will never happen, just wishful thinking out loud. Ok. Back to the real world. sigh....
Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 6
Couldn't they go back to the old Bill Walsh format? Which had a college football playoff to decide the champion. Or another thing I thought of couldn't EA do a college game based on past players

Team names based on Cities of colleges- editing possible
Full customization on Teams, Conferences, Players, Jersey Editor to build current equipment w/ ability to import into dynasty
Playoff and ranking system w/ ability to set playoff to 4, 8, or 16 teams
Generic Names for non playoff bowl games w/ ability to create a trophy and import into dynasty
Dynasty max participants up to 32, and ability to be Coach or Player options

Or make the game compatible on next gen consoles for free with last gen disc in system after a brief install

NCAA rant over
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #32
MVP

Re: Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I just don't see how making a game with generic rosters isn't a viable option. Heck, they'd be cutting out resources and costs. They know this community would gladly take that load.

It has to be hesitation on the side of the universities and maybe just fear on what they'd be able to get away with.
I agree. Five years into a franchise the entire roster is generic so it is clear people will play a game with generic rosters. One of the most popular features in NCAA football is recruiting and that is completely generic. I have no doubt a game with generic rosters would sell a lot of copies. That still might not alleviate licensing concerns from the NCAA without clarity from the courts.

I'm repeating myself but the problems is with the courts. They are good at issuing edicts and rulings which punish companies but they are pathetic at working with the companies to provide legal clarity regarding what they can do legally going forward. As Chris said in his op, neither the NCAA or game developers know what they are legally allowed to do. Nobody is going to make a game first and find out later whether it is legal.

The only people who came out ahead on this were the slip and fall lawyers. A few lawyers got rich, players got some chump change, employees of the companies and fans of the game lost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »