Home

Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

This is a discussion on Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #49
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Fan
I have a hunch...just a hunch that EA will attempt SOMETHING in the next few years even if they can't secure the likenesses. I think their itch to have a game is just as strong as our itch to buy a game. They may very well attempt the Bill Walsh model or some comparable model. This is the same company with the enormous ego that still thinks it can sell NBA Live...so there's that. Again just a hunch but I think we will see something on the market within two years.
I actually agree with this just about to a "t." Anyone who dismisses the notion with "It's just not going to happen" isn't thinking very hard about it.

The dust always settles...
Old 10-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
Because we are the minority consumer of NCAA video games. The majority of those that purchase the games want the rosters as they are in current day right out of the box (sans name, as they've grown accustomed to that). The amount of people willing to hunt down rosters are a lot less than us -- the people who like to get the new rosters every year -- think they are. We're too far in the forest to see the casual consumer trees.
Yeah, but they don't get updated rosters day one in pro games, they have to update them. 2k is best to try it and with enough resources both financially and personnel with the 2k community.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #51
Rookie

brianski71's Arena

OVR: 0
I just don't understand why they can't go the NHL/CHL route and license their likenesses without compensation. That's exactly how EA has all of the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL players in the game. The vast majority of them are teenagers. They aren't professional. The only money they receive is a small stipend for living expenses as they live with host families. When EA included the CHL teams in the game many years back, the league labeled it as "a way to promote the league," (I'm paraphrasing) rather than a source of revenue. Considering the fact that it seems the VAST majority of actual NCAA players really want the game back, regardless of seeing a dime for their likeness, couldn't this be a similar route to a game? I played division III college football. Every summer when we came in, we had a team meeting to fill out and submit a slew of NCAA paperwork. Couldn't they slip in a sheet for each player to sign off on his license being used within the game only? Seems like an extremely simple solution. If any player balked at the notion, they'd be left out, a la Michael Jordan on the early NBA Lives and Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham, and Bernie Kosar on Tecmo Super Bowl. I can't imagine many 18-22 year olds would say no to being featured on a video game, even if they aren't getting paid. Everyone wins. The schools, conferences, NCAA, and EA cash out. The kids (the vast majority of which will never be featured in Madden) get to be legitimately in a game. And we all get our game back. I'm no lawyer. But it seems an awful simple fix. And there's already precedent within the EA brand.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianski71
I just don't understand why they can't go the NHL/CHL route and license their likenesses without compensation. That's exactly how EA has all of the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL players in the game. The vast majority of them are teenagers. They aren't professional. The only money they receive is a small stipend for living expenses as they live with host families. When EA included the CHL teams in the game many years back, the league labeled it as "a way to promote the league," (I'm paraphrasing) rather than a source of revenue. Considering the fact that it seems the VAST majority of actual NCAA players really want the game back, regardless of seeing a dime for their likeness, couldn't this be a similar route to a game? I played division III college football. Every summer when we came in, we had a team meeting to fill out and submit a slew of NCAA paperwork. Couldn't they slip in a sheet for each player to sign off on his license being used within the game only? Seems like an extremely simple solution. If any player balked at the notion, they'd be left out, a la Michael Jordan on the early NBA Lives and Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham, and Bernie Kosar on Tecmo Super Bowl. I can't imagine many 18-22 year olds would say no to being featured on a video game, even if they aren't getting paid. Everyone wins. The schools, conferences, NCAA, and EA cash out. The kids (the vast majority of which will never be featured in Madden) get to be legitimately in a game. And we all get our game back. I'm no lawyer. But it seems an awful simple fix. And there's already precedent within the EA brand.
...For the same reason the NHL series doesn't have any kids in it while they're still playing college hockey.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #53
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianski71
CHL players are allowed to have endrosement deals too. It
Old 10-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #54
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
I am not sure that I buy this. It always felt to me that people were a Madden or an NCAA fan. Did some buy NCAA to hold the over, sure. Did EA make more money because if that, yes.
Nope, it's definitely not true. I've been a sports gamer for a long time and everyone I know of enjoyed and played NCAA far more than Madden. All of my dynasties I run were NCAA, not Madden. The guys I know from my league play Madden sporadically but instead of having 10 guys in my Madden franchise like I did in NCAA, we only have 3.

So the idea that NCAA was just some placeholder is only true for NFL fans. The majority of people I know were, and are, all about NCAA!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Nope, it's definitely not true. I've been a sports gamer for a long time and everyone I know of enjoyed and played NCAA far more than Madden. All of my dynasties I run were NCAA, not Madden. The guys I know from my league play Madden sporadically but instead of having 10 guys in my Madden franchise like I did in NCAA, we only have 3.

So the idea that NCAA was just some placeholder is only true for NFL fans. The majority of people I know were, and are, all about NCAA!
Exactly I dont know where that misconception came from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg

I grew up a Minnesota fan. Went to school there and still like the team. Maybe it's due to their mediocrity in my lifetime, but I've never really been a big fan of real life college football. I hate the overtime rules, too many blowouts/meaningless games. I've always preferred the NFL to NCAA football.

BUT, I bout the last 4 iterations of NCAA football and I enjoyed my time on those games vastly more than on Madden. I think it's building programs, every game mattering, and also the nature of rosters staying fresh. Every 4 years you are for sure not playing with the same players.

I said I wouldn't hook up my 360 ever again... but I can't resist. NCAA is getting booted up tonight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »