Home

Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

This is a discussion on Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #65
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

You're probably right OD. Most guys that I know that play it (my friends) don't play dynasty and just want to play with college teams and their stars. It seems like your experience with gamers has a higher sample size and would be more reflective of the gaming community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs_rizzo
You're probably right OD. Most guys that I know that play it (my friends) don't play dynasty and just want to play with college teams and their stars. It seems like your experience with gamers has a higher sample size and would be more reflective of the gaming community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I was sort of surprised myself, most people out in the "wild" just care about the teams, the schools, music, etc, not even about the stars really, and the few that do are ok with editing if they can a qb or two but for the most part don't even care that much about the players reflecting their true self either

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #67
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
What do you even mean by this? NCAA 14 is already 4 cycles ago. Of course there won't be many people commenting.
How many people were on this site actively contributing to the discussion about NCAA '14 when it came out.

I know you guys want your game back but people here ARE the minority of users of this product.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan1993
How many people were on this site actively contributing to the discussion about NCAA '14 when it came out.

I know you guys want your game back but people here ARE the minority of users of this product.
Yes we are the vocal minority here on OS but the minority, in this case, is actually pretty reflective of the general publics desire to have an NCAA football game again. I know a ton of gamers (after all I'm 46 and know a lot of folks) and practically none of them are here on OS (I try I try!) and all I hear constantly is how people want their college football back!

So yeah, while we here are quite a bit more fanatical in following news articles, court cases, discussing it, etc , the idea that its mostly the hardcore OS crowd wanting a college football game back is not really a valid one - the vast majority of college football fans who also play video games want it back too.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 10-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #69
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I don't think the views expressed in this thread ARE the minority. I worked with Fairdale on his rosters and I can easily say the majority of the public just wants college football and do not care about the specific athletes or names like hardcore sports fans here on OS do.

What I see mostly in this thread is people just want a college game back and they don't need named players or players just like their real life counterparts and that is exactly the sentiment of the majority of the general public as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the thing, EA must have agreed with the sentiment that most people want the players in the game to be as close to their real like counterparts as legally possible, otherwise they wouldn't have had the likenesses so strongly resembling real people as to make any suits not only possible, but also winnable.

Now that the game is dead, more people are amenable to generic representations of players, because everyone is desperate for a game. During the Halcyon days of the series, when there was very little thought of likeness suits, people would be screaming about QB#5 from Kansas being Black in the game instead of White, or DT #92 from USC being 6'2" 290, instead of 6'3" 305. For most people those numbers were flat out representative of the real players. All the articles about NCAA 14 talk about Jadeveon Clowney being the top rated player in the game.

That one to two million people who played the game before do want it back, but IMO, only a few hundred thousand would buy it without strong likenesses of real players. I'd love to be proven wrong with an attempt by EA.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Here's the thing, EA must have agreed with the sentiment that most people want the players in the game to be as close to their real like counterparts as legally possible, otherwise they wouldn't have had the likenesses so strongly resembling real people as to make any suits not only possible, but also winnable.

Now that the game is dead, more people are amenable to generic representations of players, because everyone is desperate for a game. During the Halcyon days of the series, when there was very little thought of likeness suits, people would be screaming about QB#5 from Kansas being Black in the game instead of White, or DT #92 from USC being 6'2" 290, instead of 6'3" 305. For most people those numbers were flat out representative of the real players. All the articles about NCAA 14 talk about Jadeveon Clowney being the top rated player in the game.

That one to two million people who played the game before do want it back, but IMO, only a few hundred thousand would buy it without strong likenesses of real players. I'd love to be proven wrong with an attempt by EA.
Well see you think like me, that's what I always thought too until I really talked to a lot of people at game shops, at game conferences, online etc.

I do think you're right that EA has, at least in the past, fell into that belief as well. I (we) can only hope that EA is doing market research to see how well a game would go over with 100% correct everything in regards to conferences, teams, mascots, music EXCEPT just randomized players.

I do think there needs to be the ability for the consumer to edit players though or it may really hurt sales because, as we all know, there is a certain segment of the consumer, specifically hardcore people like here at OS, that do demand the players be accurate.

But its not like people like us think, for example, most people who were Buckeye fans back in the day wanted Troy Smith as their QB. They really didn't care about the lineman or even really the receivers. Some folks just want certain star players to be right and so if we are given the tools, they can have that. Now perhaps it'd have to be something where EA would eliminate roster share to make certain no one would sell the rosters, I don't know, but if I could edit my own team(s) and/or even share a save file over the internet (bypassing EA's locker/roster share) then I'd be happy with that and I think most of the hardcore people would be as well (although I'm sure they'd bitch about having to do it)

I guess we'll have to wait and see but my guess is that EA is already going down this route to see how well a game might do without player likeness, I mean its just logical to do so considering the current situation.

Last edited by ODogg; 10-14-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #71
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

This ^^^^

If you make it generic or go back to the days of Bill Walsh where the teams and logos aren't even in the game how many people would buy it? Sure some "common" fans may clamor for the game but they want what they had before where they could sit down and play as Vince Young.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #72
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

While I agree generic teams won't sell.

But I truly believe generic players to start dynasty would have no problem selling at all if all teams/stadiums/conferences were in

Honestly think most played to build a dynasty, well after two years most of these players are gone. So just make them all generic to start.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »