Home

Favorite Post-2010 Custom Conferences

This is a discussion on Favorite Post-2010 Custom Conferences within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Right now, this is my favorite custom conference scenario, alternate CFB time Post 2010.

Essentially, The moves in 2010 happened, but many things in 2011 took a different turn.

ACC: Essentially reshuffled for more competitive balance. 6/8 original ACC teams make up the Coastal, and a general North South split between the Atlantic and Coastal, with the exception of the Florida Schools.
Atlantic: Boston College, Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Coastal: Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, NC State, North Carolina, Wake Forest

American: Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, UCF, USF, West Virginia

Big 12: In this scenario, Texas A&M and Mizzou never left, and the Big 12 added 2 decent regionally local candidates, TCU and Tulane. I personally still think Tulane is one of the better candidates for Big 12 expansion
North: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
South: Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane

Big Ten: I have no idea why the Big 12 went with its dumb Leaders-Legends idea, when it had a perfect split on the Indiana-Illinois border.
East: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue
West: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

C-USA: I don't have anything to say on this group of teams.
East: ECU, Marshall, Memphis, Mid Tennessee State, Old Dominion, UAB
West: Houston, Louisiana Tech, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulsa

Independents: Air Force, Army, Navy, Notre Dame, Temple, UMass
It just feels right to have all three service academies in the same position. Temple and UMass kind of fit as lost Independents.

MAC: unchanged
East: Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Kent State, Miami (OH), Ohio,
West: Ball State, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan

MWC: The home of every G5 team west of Texas, including my favorite Teambuilder teams, Montana and Montana State.
Pacific: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, UNLV
Rockies: Colorado State, Montana, Montana State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Utah State, UTEP, Wyoming

Pac-12: The original plan for divisional alignment, with the Cali schools in the same division, and the new additions in the North.
North: Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, Washington, Washington State
South: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC

SEC: Same as it's been since 1992.
East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
West: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Miss State, Ole Miss

Sun Belt: Arkansas State, Georgia State, North Texas, South Alabama, Troy, Texas State, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, Western Kentucky

So, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Pro

bwburke94's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Favorite Post-2010 Custom Conferences

Temple and UMass to MAC East, Bowling Green to MAC West?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
Rookie

RazorbackJeremy's Arena

I always wanted to have crazy wacky conferences for a dynasty journal! I'm just not creative enough to sit and think about them
Old 11-27-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackJeremy
I always wanted to have crazy wacky conferences for a dynasty journal! I'm just not creative enough to sit and think about them

This is probably my favorite part of the game. I love sitting down and trying to come up with different conferences.

I saw a really crazy list a couple weeks ago on reddit that really looks like fun. I can send it to you if you're interested. This guy even wrote down little histories to go with each conference. It's pretty cool.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Rookie

RazorbackJeremy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopHammerTime69
This is probably my favorite part of the game. I love sitting down and trying to come up with different conferences.

I saw a really crazy list a couple weeks ago on reddit that really looks like fun. I can send it to you if you're interested. This guy even wrote down little histories to go with each conference. It's pretty cool.

Yeah that would be cool!! I'll take a look at it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackJeremy
Yeah that would be cool!! I'll take a look at it

So I found it. https://www.reddit.com/r/NCAAFBserie...ence_timeline/

It's a lot longer than I remember.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

I'm in year 8 of my Ty Detmer coaching dynasty (all at BYU). I joined the Big 12 back in year 2, but this past season (2020) I came up with a new conference alignment and method for selecting teams for the 4-team playoff. To this point, I was just using the top 4 teams according to the BCS rankings.

Here's my conference alignment:

As for selection criteria for the 4-team CFP, I wanted to make it rules-based and add extra importance to conference championships.

Using the final BCS rankings, qualification into the 4-team CFP goes as follows, filling as many teams as qualify in each step until 4 are selected:

CFP Qualification
step 1- Any undefeated teams ranked in the top 4 of the BCS standings automatically qualify, regardless of conference. (This is the only way for a G3 team to qualify for the CFP)

step 2- P5 conference champions or Notre Dame ranked in the top 6 of the BCS rankings. Must have 2 or fewer losses. Higher-ranked teams qualify first.

step 3- MM conference champions ranked in the top 6 of the BCS rankings. Must have 2 or fewer losses. Higher-ranked teams qualify first.

step 4- P5 conference champions or Notre Dame ranked between 7-10 of the BCS rankings. Must have 2 or fewer losses. Higher-ranked teams qualify first.

step 5- MM conference champions ranked between 7-10 of the BCS rankings. Must have 2 or fewer losses. Higher-ranked teams qualify first.

step 6- Highest ranked P5 or MM teams in the BCS top 12 with 2 or fewer losses (conference title not required).

Running this in 2020 for the first time, it all came out very clean.

Final BCS Rankings:
1-Ohio State (11-2) *Big Ten Champs
2-Texas (12-1) *Big 12 Champs
3-Tennessee (11-2) *SEC Champs
4-Miami (11-2) *ACC Champs
5-Michigan State (10-2)
6-Notre Dame (11-1)

So in this scenario, 1-4 all made it to the CFP. If at least two teams above Notre Dame hadn't won their conference, then the Irish would've gotten in instead.

Major Bowls & Semi-Finals
The last thing that I've done is changed around the major bowl structure for the semi-finals. The major bowls are the Rose (B1G & Pac12 champs), Cotton (Big 12 champs), Fiesta (Notre Dame or non-P5 team), Sugar (SEC champ), and Orange (ACC champ).

The semi-finals are played at the corresponding bowl tie-in associated with the #1 and #2 ranked teams. So in the example above, #1 Ohio State would play #4 Miami in the Rose Bowl, and #2 Texas plays #3 Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl. This means that there is no official bowl rotation for the semi-finals every year.

Really happy with this set-up, and excited to see how it goes for a few years.

#GoPackGo
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

read an interesting article by clay Travis about eliminating all conference championship games and going to an 8 team playoff. wondering if anyone has tried this??

#GoPackGo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »