Home

FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE FOOTBALL GAME?

This is a discussion on FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE FOOTBALL GAME? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Pro

SilverChaosVII's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE FOOTBALL GAME?

Because licenses sell games.

Just look at PES and FIFA.

PES is by far the superior product in terms of gameplay. However, they lack the funds to get the licenses that EA snags for FIFA. Because of this, everybody just plays FIFA.

PES even has the capability to get any team you would ever want in the game. With far more detail to kits and everything than FIFA has. There are import features.

And people still play FIFA. Sales are higher. Why? Because there is no effort needed to make the game playable. They sit down. Play. Enjoy.

PES takes hours upon hours to get set up properly to get everything into the game. Once it is, it's better. But it's effort that casual fans won't put in. Only the people who feel it's worth the time for the better experience bother.

This would be the same thing. You are cutting down your audience.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger
The O'Bannon case specifically addressed this issue. When EA raised the defense that the NCAA Football games were being produced without the real life player names, the court struck that down, basically saying that EA couldn't simply pass the blame to consumers while still giving consumers the tools to edit the rosters in-game.
Makes me wonder if 2K will ever find themselves in a similar position. Their customization tools are so robust that you can basically create College Hoops 2K17 within NBA 2K17. PES pretty much does the same.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Quote:
Because it could still be seen as a way for video game companies to avoid paying for team/school licenses or paying players for their likeness.

The O'Bannon case specifically addressed this issue. When EA raised the defense that the NCAA Football games were being produced without the real life player names, the court struck that down, basically saying that EA couldn't simply pass the blame to consumers while still giving consumers the tools to edit the rosters in-game.
That's what I'm saying, though. Why couldn't they figure out a compromise to pay for the license of college football itself and then make it so you can't customize the players? Most dynasties end up with all fictional characters by season 5 anyway. It's better than nothing. I don't know, maybe there are too many casual gamers that care too much about individual players for it to sell.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
Rookie

NCAA 14 sold around 400,000 copies from July-September of 2013 and has sold around 800,000 copies worldwide at the last tally I can find. Let's just work with that number. How many of those 400K people that bought the game post here? Because the ones that post here are the ones that would buy a game with fictional players and/or universities that is fully customizable. People want to play online against friends and they want to play with their favorite college football player. Not all of those 400K people are getting more than 1-2 seasons deep on the dynasty mode. The people here on this forum are the minority in terms of the type of consumer looking to purchase NCAA 14 -- even if the game returned next year, we'd still be in the minority.

Never mind the fact that sales of NCAA 14 in the first month of release were actually "slightly down" according to this article, from the previous version.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Because it could still be seen as a way for video game companies to avoid paying for team/school licenses or paying players for their likeness.

That's a little different than what I'm talking about.
EA had Florida QB #15 with all the traits of Tim Tebow, just not the name. I'm talking have QB #1 Joe Smith for the Cobras.
CPU games such as Civilization has mods with anything you want, why not a football game?
Hopefully it would be a cheap game to produce without licenses because it would have to be profitable for anyone to actually do it.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa98
Just a thought:

Why couldn't a company make a game with generic teams however make it fully customizable.

Teams could be created via a "teambuilder" and have the "dynasty" to be customized such as playoffs/bowls, number of teams/conferences, import conference logos, bowl game logos, ect...

Now tell me why I am wrong?

IMV Gaming is doing this exact thing and they've been endorsed by pro athletes go check them out
Old 08-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #15
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNCAA14Gamer
IMV Gaming is doing this exact thing and they've been endorsed by pro athletes go check them out
they're trying to do it, but their funding is crap. They're not truly endorsed, just a couple athletes basically saying they like the idea and will chip in if they get enough money to start production...which they're still very very far from.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #16
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

I'm pretty sure that there was a customizable football game for the PC about 10 years ago. I can't remember the name of it, though. I know it definitely wasn't Front Page Sports, which was back in the '90s.

I do remember that it was supposed to let you chose between American, Canadian, and Indoor football fields and rules. You could control the league size, player ratings, uniforms, logos, and even create playbooks.

It didn't have any kinds of endorsements or licensing deals, but I believe it wasn't a popular game in the term of sales.

Personally, I remember being interested in it until I read a number of negative reviews and then completely forgot about it (literally).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »