Home

Realistic position changing system

This is a discussion on Realistic position changing system within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
[More] Realistic position changing system with regards to AWR

This has been bugging me for a really long time so I finally built myself a little system that I can keep track of to move players around year by year a little more realistically. One of the laziest things the team at EA did creating this game was that every time you change a player's position (and confirm it) he gets hit in the head with a rock and loses significant AWR. Every. single. time.

For instance, right now I'm moving a FS to SS. His AWR (without my interference) would go from 67 to 54. That's a decrease of 19.5%. And every time you move any player you'll get some type of similar decrease. They get dumber, every time. We know that players can improve in OVR a few pts per season but still, that is a hit that is unrealistic if it's a guaranteed outcome. Yeah, sometimes you might move a player and he's nowhere near as aware at the new position. That's fine. But guaranteed? Dumb.

Some players should take a hit that big moving to another position, but others would actually "click" at another position over the course of the year. (speaking of real life here: ) Maybe in training camp the OVR goes down a bit at a position they're clicking at, but by the time they're into the season and a few games in, maybe they're smarter at the new position.

Just a couple of examples.

T.J. Watt - that's really all I need right?

But what about a guy that didn't pan out so well, at least not right away.

Justin Britt. He started at RT as a rookie for the Seahawks, and he wasn't very good. The next season they put him at RG. He was even worse. He was awful. Yet they loved his work ethic and they felt he was a very good athlete with all the right abilities in place but it just hadn't clicked. They moved him to center, and bam. It clicked for him. It took them three years but they have a pro bowl quality center.

Now, all I want to mess with is the AWR. If you change a guy's position, and you go with the 19.5% decrease, what happens the next year if you decide to change him again? Again, it's a guaranteed gigantic decrease. We have editing capability, there's no reason we should go with an unrealistic and lazy system. So after some thought, here's mine.

Set up a separate position changes page in your spreadsheet, or create one specifically for this. Keep track of their rankings (mostly awr, but I think some ratings can change sometime). When you make a position change, come up with a reasonable range of outcomes, including at least (at the worst) the decrease that already happens in AWR. He could also gain awareness. Probably not as much as he could lose. I'm o.k. with that. Whatever range of outcomes you come up with, if you make the change you're stuck with it until the next position changes. Then the following season, you can go back in, and see what his AWR was at the original position, and if you want, move him back and get his original AWR back. (no progress during the year, which is still some deterrent). Or maybe give yourself a small penalty since he wasn't playing it. If you want, look at another position change that starts with the original AWR rating he had at his original position, and again has a range of outcomes.

There's no reason players should become worthless AWR wise due to position changes

So here's what I'm doing

If I'm gambling on a position change with the opportunity to actually increase the AWR, there better be something on the line. That something is that the AWR has a chance to be even worse than the position change made it by default. Going back to that 67 AWR free safety, Instead of -20%, my absolute worst outcome will now be -30%. My absolute best outcome will be +15%. That gives me a range 47 to 77 that could result from this move, which will be done by random number generator. The median or near the most likely result with a random number selection is 62, I honestly think that's a lot more fair overall but you're playing a gamble here that's at least interesting, and which you can at least undo a year later because in reality nobody actually gives player a partial lobotomy every time they change positions.

So right now I'm taking my 67 AWR FS, and moving him to SS. I randomly generated a number between those two figures for the first opportunity to edit him. I get 64.

Rules for myself:

- Once a position change is done, the result is final, until the next year.
- The next season, I can look at the player again (like the Seahawks did with Britt) starting with the knowledge that his base AWR at the FS spot is a 67 (so no improvement from two years ago) and at SS, it's whatever it presently is as he sits at SS. If I want to try and move him to corner, the only OTHER position I'd probably move a DB to, I can try starting with that original 67 and do the same thing again.

If you're doing this every year he still will not improve as much as he would if you just left him alone, unless you get lucky and get a huge bump.

That's how I'll be doing this from now on. Just important to keep track of everything you do.

Let me know what you guys think and if the system could be improved.

Last edited by Hellisan; 10-17-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Realistic position changing system

This is a great idea. It’s always amazes me that guy could go from a QB to WR or from FS to SS and drop in AWR when they have the ratings to be better at that position.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Rookie

I agree to a certain extent. Moving guys from LOLB to ROLB and them dropping in AWR is annoying for sure. Same with SS to FS or vice-versa. I think, though, bigger changes (QB to WR or even RB to WR; TE to OT if you have a massive blocking TE or a WR to TE) should come with awareness penalties that are fairly harsh. Those are pretty dramatic shifts in roles, where as switching outside linebackers (usually for depth reasons) or swapping safties are pretty similar positions.

As always, love seeing a Hellisan thread trying to improve the game!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
I agree to a certain extent. Moving guys from LOLB to ROLB and them dropping in AWR is annoying for sure. Same with SS to FS or vice-versa. I think, though, bigger changes (QB to WR or even RB to WR; TE to OT if you have a massive blocking TE or a WR to TE) should come with awareness penalties that are fairly harsh. Those are pretty dramatic shifts in roles, where as switching outside linebackers (usually for depth reasons) or swapping safties are pretty similar positions.

As always, love seeing a Hellisan thread trying to improve the game!
Actually when you got move a guy from right to left outside linebacker their awareness does not change

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
Actually when you got move a guy from right to left outside linebacker their awareness does not change

Really!? Hmm, I'll take your word for it (and test it later) but I was certain I saw some changes early on and filed it away as something that happens. Interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Quote:

Yeah, LT to RT and similar moves don't have a penalty.i could make an argument that a lesser version of this should be applied to those moves, and maybe I'll consider that going fwd. Anyway as it relates to what you previously said about QB to wide receiver or other big moves I've no problem with your opinion in terms of what you would do for your own Dynasty but there are many examples of players changing positions completely and becoming much much better players in fact Pro Caliber players so it cannot possibly be that their knowledge of the game in general was ruined.

The ratings in the game are much too stagnant to model how that kid at Pitt went from QB to WR (yes he probably took some minimal immediate hit to his game knowledge) but then vastly improved to be much better there than he was at QB.

And I don't want to try to model exactly how that works, so a system like this at least gives them a chance. Of course if they don't have supportive ratings physically for their new position there's no reason for a move.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, LT to RT and similar moves don't have a penalty.i could make an argument that a lesser version of this should be applied to those moves, and maybe I'll consider that going fwd. Anyway as it relates to what you previously said about QB to wide receiver or other big moves I've no problem with your opinion in terms of what you would do for your own Dynasty but there are many examples of players changing positions completely and becoming much much better players in fact Pro Caliber players so it cannot possibly be that their knowledge of the game in general was ruined.

The ratings in the game are much too stagnant to model how that kid at Pitt went from QB to WR (yes he probably took some minimal immediate hit to his game knowledge) but then vastly improved to be much better there than he was at QB.

And I don't want to try to model exactly how that works, so a system like this at least gives them a chance. Of course if they don't have supportive ratings physically for their new position there's no reason for a move.

Yeah, that all makes sense. For me, AWR is basically football IQ. So, for a QB -> WR move, I'm likely to agree with you that the AWR knock should be limited (or left to a random chance, as per your system). Things I think I would lower might be stuff like route running or something of that nature that feels like skills that develop over time at particular positions, if that makes sense. Technique I think should be the variable that changes more-so than football IQ/AWR.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Pro

souljahbill's Arena

OVR: 2
Realistic position changing system

I hate the TE -> FB AWR hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »