Home

Offensive schemes and tactics

This is a discussion on Offensive schemes and tactics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Offensive schemes and tactics

I've gone through many types of offenses in my time playing (been playing NCAA since 03 I think).

I love spread, pass heavy, air raid type offenses. I also love power running games. I am a bit more predisposed to the passing game, as I was a WR/TE in my playing days lol.

Something I've switched to, in order to maintain a challenge, is using whatever playbook my OC comes in with.

Major Boise State fan
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I've gone through many types of offenses in my time playing (been playing NCAA since 03 I think).

I love spread, pass heavy, air raid type offenses. I also love power running games. I am a bit more predisposed to the passing game, as I was a WR/TE in my playing days lol.

Something I've switched to, in order to maintain a challenge, is using whatever playbook my OC comes in with.
I've never been good at the air raid but I think I've started to get better at reads. I just force too many throws.

And I have an archaic run-run-deep pass mindset. But I've gotten more adaptable and I'm improving.

What inspired your interest in the Air Raid?

Also, what's your least favorite playbook you've used?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #11
Rookie

I usually always find myself going back to a pro style offense, even if I started a dynasty with a team that didn't begin with a pro style offense. Nothing against the other offensive styles in the game, pro style just feels "right" to me. I think it just fits my style of play the best, using the run game to set up the passing game.

When I'm not using my custom playbook, I think I'm usually using Georgia's or Stanford's playbooks (pretty sure those are pro style, I don't have access to my PS3 at the moment so I'm not 100% sure). My custom playbook is still nothing special, it's honestly just like a combination of the two previous mentioned playbooks with some extra formations and plays that I like running added in. A lot of ace formations and I formations and I utilize my tight ends a lot. I did add a lot of option and read plays though since I like my quarterback to be fast so those are always nice to have.

Yeah, nothing special, my style of play is very basic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Rookie

I run the power coast offense. It’s a combo of West and east coast tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5

When I started playing football video games, I was always inclined to pass.

With NCAA 12 and Clemson (manually edited rosters to reflect the offenses’s sudden takeoff), I ran a spread playbook but a de facto Air Raid and did so for many years regardless of the team and edition; but I was horrible and only progressed somewhat in abilities.

When I was in an online dynasty with friends this summer that my twin was also in, I suffered a nasty loss to an underdog (the only game I thought I would win that season; I won more games than I personally predicted but all were upsets or CPU wins).

I asked my twin why I stink and he said that I have trouble with passing as you have to process lots of information quickly; and he suggested that a Stanford or Wisconsin offense would help.

I played half a season in a solo dynasty before I quit with a FCS team using Wisconsin’s playbook redshirting all my good players and played above the roster ratings, upsetting a couple of 20+ points higher teams but also losing some. But I actually felt like I was not doomed to lose every single game.

- Clemson
- Michigan
- Michigan State (because of Anthony Ianni)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu83
I usually always find myself going back to a pro style offense, even if I started a dynasty with a team that didn't begin with a pro style offense. Nothing against the other offensive styles in the game, pro style just feels "right" to me. I think it just fits my style of play the best, using the run game to set up the passing game.

When I'm not using my custom playbook, I think I'm usually using Georgia's or Stanford's playbooks (pretty sure those are pro style, I don't have access to my PS3 at the moment so I'm not 100% sure). My custom playbook is still nothing special, it's honestly just like a combination of the two previous mentioned playbooks with some extra formations and plays that I like running added in. A lot of ace formations and I formations and I utilize my tight ends a lot. I did add a lot of option and read plays though since I like my quarterback to be fast so those are always nice to have.

Yeah, nothing special, my style of play is very basic
Do you use a lot of motion with your skill position players to exploit matchups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LOVER
I run the power coast offense. It’s a combo of West and east coast tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So like what Auburn did under Tuberville or like what Stanford did under Harbaugh? How do you work it out in-game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03
When I started playing football video games, I was always inclined to pass.

With NCAA 12 and Clemson (manually edited rosters to reflect the offenses’s sudden takeoff), I ran a spread playbook but a de facto Air Raid and did so for many years regardless of the team and edition; but I was horrible and only progressed somewhat in abilities.

When I was in an online dynasty with friends this summer that my twin was also in, I suffered a nasty loss to an underdog (the only game I thought I would win that season; I won more games than I personally predicted but all were upsets or CPU wins).

I asked my twin why I stink and he said that I have trouble with passing as you have to process lots of information quickly; and he suggested that a Stanford or Wisconsin offense would help.

I played half a season in a solo dynasty before I quit with a FCS team using Wisconsin’s playbook redshirting all my good players and played above the roster ratings, upsetting a couple of 20+ points higher teams but also losing some. But I actually felt like I was not doomed to lose every single game.
I'm definitely a run-first guy myself, but I tend to stay away from those three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust-style playbooks just because I think I get claustrophobic with the field. What has been the key to you being successful with the offense?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
Do you use a lot of motion with your skill position players to exploit matchups?
For the most part, yes. I do admit that I sometimes forget to do it, but I will use motion and hot routes to exploit matchups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
I've never been good at the air raid but I think I've started to get better at reads. I just force too many throws.

And I have an archaic run-run-deep pass mindset. But I've gotten more adaptable and I'm improving.

What inspired your interest in the Air Raid?

Also, what's your least favorite playbook you've used?
Reads are a big part of the air raid, or any passing offense really. When I was in early high school is when I started switching to reading the defense as opposed to looking for the open man, and that REALLY opened the game up. The more you know your own playbook, the easier reading a defense becomes and tapping the correct button becomes second nature.

What inspired my interest was the excitement. I grew up in the 90's, back the the NFL was a running league and throwing for 3000 yards was the big deal. I loved seeing the college teams air it out and go banana sandwich through the air! It was a change, the game was so fast. Also as a WR, I loved the idea that they were getting the ball more lol.

I've always HATED running triple option. I use it in my offenses, but exclusively I get bored/don't have the patience for it.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »