Home

Offensive schemes and tactics

This is a discussion on Offensive schemes and tactics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #161
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Offensive schemes and tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakernk
Don't mean to post again, but I was wondering about the 2020 Alabama offense. Is there a playbook that closely resembles it in ncaa 14 or would a custom playbook be required to create/replicate it? I'm asking about it because I heard it has kyle shanahan influences but in the pistol formation and that sounded interesting.

If a custom playbook is required, what kind of plays/formations and personnel are required to create and use this offense effectivley
Washington is Sarks old playbook not sure how much it resembles the offense he had at bama but could be worth a look
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #162
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG42
Washington is Sarks old playbook not sure how much it resembles the offense he had at bama but could be worth a look
Okay Thanks. Wasn't sure if because I had my rosters updated to 2020 and the playbook that was given Sarkisian as the OC of Alabam was the Alabama One Back Playbook
Old 04-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #163
Rookie

Chasethefalcon's Arena

Quote:
Don't mean to post again, but I was wondering about the 2020 Alabama offense. Is there a playbook that closely resembles it in ncaa 14 or would a custom playbook be required to create/replicate it? I'm asking about it because I heard it has kyle shanahan influences but in the pistol formation and that sounded interesting.

If a custom playbook is required, what kind of plays/formations and personnel are required to create and use this offense effectivley
Custom would be the way to go with that I would think. Alabama used a lot of RPOs this year and moved Devonta Smith a ton.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #164
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasethefalcon
Custom would be the way to go with that I would think. Alabama used a lot of RPOs this year and moved Devonta Smith a ton.

Okay. What plays/formations would be used to make this playbook and what would be the required personnel?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #165
Rookie

Chasethefalcon's Arena

Quote:
Okay. What plays/formations would be used to make this playbook and what would be the required personnel?
Alabama used a lot of 11 personnel. Technically played 12 most of the season when Waddle went down since Billingsly is actually a tight end if I remember correctly. Anything with the tight end in a wing would work. No option plays. Just a lot of slants and zone running would be my guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #166
Rookie

Chasethefalcon's Arena

The Zone Raid

Football is evolving from the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Gone are the days of constantly lining up in 21/22 personnel, under center in the I formation *the best formation in football imo* and running it down your throat.

What do we have today?
We have offenses constantly spreading teams out, trying to get people out the of box and run where they have numbers advantages. Get 1 on 1 matchups for your best players in space. Everyone is moving their tight end in the slot against smaller nickel defenders and using the size advantage.

I decided to create a version very similar to what LSU and Alabama have done recently.

My offense is very simple really: 6 formations all in 11 personnel.

I've taken my running scheme from what is becoming popular from high school to the NFL: zone

I have taken my favorite passing concepts from the air raid: shallow cross, flood, curls and stick.

What I have is a balanced attack on the ground and in the air that can leave a defense guessing.

My formations are:
Bunch
Empty Base
Normal
Normal Y-Slot
Trey Open
Y-Trips

I have a total of 96 plays. There are no option plays and I have only 1 play that is a designed QB run: QB Wrap.

Recruiting:
QB: I like pocket passers for this offense but mobile guys can work. I mostly just look for Throw Accuracy, Carrying and injury. You are throwing short and medium passes so being accurate is key, I do not want fumbles so carrying is a must and then injury is pretty self explanatory
RB: Since all the runs are zone based I want shifty backs who can find a hole and hit it. I look for Ball carrier vision since you need to find holes, Acceleration since I want you to be able to burst through the hole and catching since these guys catch a lot out of the back field.
WR: Whatever you want here. I like bigger guys since it gives me a size advantage. HOWEVER, they need to catch. There is a lot of passing in this offense some games and dropping passes isn't going to cut it. Look for catching first and whatever you want after.
TE: This is a tough spot. My offense runs through this guy. I want him to get the matchups. I want him to be my best player. Receiving works best here. He will be moved a lot to find those matchups, if I do any pre snap motion I do it with this guy. I look for catching here since he runs the offense and I look for Size. I want a Kyle Pitts type.
OL: Go for the best guy here. I personally would want bigger guys since they are doing mostly zone blocking and they are harder to move for D linemen.

My personal favorite part of this is that you can adjust this offense however you want. Got a lot of good TEs? Make one of them your #3 WR and watch you dominate inside. Got a good offensive line and a good running back? Go to under center and run straight ahead since zone blocking can be run from anywhere. Got good backs and a running QB? Add in options and 20-21 personnel. ADAPT WHERE YOU CAN! Most of my offense's core is found in nearly every single one of the formations.

In the end, I hope you guys give the Zone Raid a chance and continue to dominate your opponents.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #167
Rookie

FF11Football's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasethefalcon
The Zone Raid

Football is evolving from the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Gone are the days of constantly lining up in 21/22 personnel, under center in the I formation *the best formation in football imo* and running it down your throat.

What do we have today?
We have offenses constantly spreading teams out, trying to get people out the of box and run where they have numbers advantages. Get 1 on 1 matchups for your best players in space. Everyone is moving their tight end in the slot against smaller nickel defenders and using the size advantage.

I decided to create a version very similar to what LSU and Alabama have done recently.

My offense is very simple really: 6 formations all in 11 personnel.

I've taken my running scheme from what is becoming popular from high school to the NFL: zone

I have taken my favorite passing concepts from the air raid: shallow cross, flood, curls and stick.

What I have is a balanced attack on the ground and in the air that can leave a defense guessing.

My formations are:
Bunch
Empty Base
Normal
Normal Y-Slot
Trey Open
Y-Trips

I have a total of 96 plays. There are no option plays and I have only 1 play that is a designed QB run: QB Wrap.

Recruiting:
QB: I like pocket passers for this offense but mobile guys can work. I mostly just look for Throw Accuracy, Carrying and injury. You are throwing short and medium passes so being accurate is key, I do not want fumbles so carrying is a must and then injury is pretty self explanatory
RB: Since all the runs are zone based I want shifty backs who can find a hole and hit it. I look for Ball carrier vision since you need to find holes, Acceleration since I want you to be able to burst through the hole and catching since these guys catch a lot out of the back field.
WR: Whatever you want here. I like bigger guys since it gives me a size advantage. HOWEVER, they need to catch. There is a lot of passing in this offense some games and dropping passes isn't going to cut it. Look for catching first and whatever you want after.
TE: This is a tough spot. My offense runs through this guy. I want him to get the matchups. I want him to be my best player. Receiving works best here. He will be moved a lot to find those matchups, if I do any pre snap motion I do it with this guy. I look for catching here since he runs the offense and I look for Size. I want a Kyle Pitts type.
OL: Go for the best guy here. I personally would want bigger guys since they are doing mostly zone blocking and they are harder to move for D linemen.

My personal favorite part of this is that you can adjust this offense however you want. Got a lot of good TEs? Make one of them your #3 WR and watch you dominate inside. Got a good offensive line and a good running back? Go to under center and run straight ahead since zone blocking can be run from anywhere. Got good backs and a running QB? Add in options and 20-21 personnel. ADAPT WHERE YOU CAN! Most of my offense's core is found in nearly every single one of the formations.

In the end, I hope you guys give the Zone Raid a chance and continue to dominate your opponents.
Hey man I love that you created a scheme based on a real life offense. It's my favorite thing about playing the game. My only question is how do you handle the route mirroring of man coverage? It's very annoying when db's run the route in front of the wr. Because of this, I always end up basing my offense around running game and setup plays off of play action passes to get some separation.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #168
Rookie

Chasethefalcon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF11Football
Hey man I love that you created a scheme based on a real life offense. It's my favorite thing about playing the game. My only question is how do you handle the route mirroring of man coverage? It's very annoying when db's run the route in front of the wr. Because of this, I always end up basing my offense around running game and setup plays off of play action passes to get some separation.
I'm big about audibling around. But normally I use man beating routes and shallow crosses are always open I have found

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »