Home

Offensive schemes and tactics

This is a discussion on Offensive schemes and tactics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
Just started!

mrbskywalker's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Offensive schemes and tactics

I actually use a slimmed down version of SMU's playbook with some read option mixed in. Don't know what formations off the top of my head but I run a lot of empty and shotgun looks. 4 verts is a huge part of my playbook and usually helps to open up the run game and PA. If I had to take a guess it's probably a 65% pass offense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego93
How do you guys like the QB runs in this game? QB draw, power, blast, wrap. What sets do you like to use those runs in?
I love them. I run blast out of y trips weak, normal HB WK, empty spread, and empty wing trips. I run power out of spread and my wildcat formations, but it's also in the shotgun 21 ace sets. My playbook right now is all 10 and 11 with one 01 formation (empty wing trips), two 20 formations (split slot and offset), and pistol fullhouse. I run wrap out of trio offset WK (the only formation I think I have where it also serves as a read option) as well as spread WK. I have MTN fake screen QB draw in split offset, but I don't run it a ton. I'm very wary of draws.

My 85 overall QB just went out for the season and his backup is a 75 overall with slightly less speed. He had a great first game filling-in, but after no QB injuries last year I feel like it's a warning to rely on my running backs more.

Like I said, I'm trying to do a Malzahn/Mullen type thing, but it's important to pay attention to the fact that OSU in real life has suffered when they lean too much on the QB runs and not enough on their stud running backs.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:54 AM   #27
Rookie

Ego93's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
I love them. I run blast out of y trips weak, normal HB WK, empty spread, and empty wing trips. I run power out of spread and my wildcat formations, but it's also in the shotgun 21 ace sets. My playbook right now is all 10 and 11 with one 01 formation (empty wing trips), two 20 formations (split slot and offset), and pistol fullhouse. I run wrap out of trio offset WK (the only formation I think I have where it also serves as a read option) as well as spread WK. I have MTN fake screen QB draw in split offset, but I don't run it a ton. I'm very wary of draws.

My 85 overall QB just went out for the season and his backup is a 75 overall with slightly less speed. He had a great first game filling-in, but after no QB injuries last year I feel like it's a warning to rely on my running backs more.

Like I said, I'm trying to do a Malzahn/Mullen type thing, but it's important to pay attention to the fact that OSU in real life has suffered when they lean too much on the QB runs and not enough on their stud running backs.
I love both split slot and split slot offset. I ran an entire game in my test dynasty just with offset last night as I'm trying to build ideas for my playbook(s).

I wanted to see how far I could get away with running a split veer shotgun attack, but I ended up being more balanced than expected. The Mtn plays are fantastic. I ripped a high ranking Stanford defense apart with Mtn Y stick and Mtn cross sreen.

I got good yardage out of triple option rt and lt (I'd label them 14 veer and 13 veer respecively). But the cpu made it tough in the first half, as I had to resort to the Mtn plays and IZ split. Once I got the cpu in a nickel 245 look, I had my way.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #28
MVP

Quote:
I love both split slot and split slot offset. I ran an entire game in my test dynasty just with offset last night as I'm trying to build ideas for my playbook(s).

I wanted to see how far I could get away with running a split veer shotgun attack, but I ended up being more balanced than expected. The Mtn plays are fantastic. I ripped a high ranking Stanford defense apart with Mtn Y stick and Mtn cross sreen.

I got good yardage out of triple option rt and lt (I'd label them 14 veer and 13 veer respecively). But the cpu made it tough in the first half, as I had to resort to the Mtn plays and IZ split. Once I got the cpu in a nickel 245 look, I had my way.
Do you run the veer and motion stuff out of spread offset?

Also, offset playbooks are really cool. It's just a great way to run downfield out of the gun.

What formations are you messing with right now?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #29
Rookie

Ego93's Arena

Quote:
Do you run the veer and motion stuff out of spread offset?

Also, offset playbooks are really cool. It's just a great way to run downfield out of the gun.

What formations are you messing with right now?
I like running the motion stuff from spread offset too. I like the motion options from trips formations better, imo. I love both variants in Trio offset with the inline TE. Nasty stuff!

So far I got 2 2x2 and 2 3x1 formations for my 10 personnel:
  • Spread HB WK
  • Spread Offset
  • 4wr trio str
  • trips open

I love using the mtn y stick and y corner plays from Spread hb wk. The hb motioning to create empty looks is great for triangle concepts to one side. Used that the majority of the test game I just ran.

My other formations include:
  • 5wr trio - jet sweep with blockers to the trio side and qb blast
  • Normal offset - IZ, drag under, mtn option
  • Y-trips hb wk - all the sweeps, OZR, Midline, y corner
  • slot f wing - short yardage situations
Old 12-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #30
MVP

Quote:
I like running the motion stuff from spread offset too. I like the motion options from trips formations better, imo. I love both variants in Trio offset with the inline TE. Nasty stuff!

So far I got 2 2x2 and 2 3x1 formations for my 10 personnel:
  • Spread HB WK
  • Spread Offset
  • 4wr trio str
  • trips open

I love using the mtn y stick and y corner plays from Spread hb wk. The hb motioning to create empty looks is great for triangle concepts to one side. Used that the majority of the test game I just ran.

My other formations include:
  • 5wr trio - jet sweep with blockers to the trio side and qb blast
  • Normal offset - IZ, drag under, mtn option
  • Y-trips hb wk - all the sweeps, OZR, Midline, y corner
  • slot f wing - short yardage situations
What does your passing game consist of?
Old 12-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #31
Rookie

Ego93's Arena

Quote:
What does your passing game consist of?
As of right now, it's pretty simple: just four verts, shallow crosses, flood, stick, very air-raid influenced. I try and slim it down so I have my favorite air raid concepts in.

I use bubble and mid screens, but I don't find my self resorting to those as often unless I call them in the huddle.

If I call a screen , it's most likely when the TE is on the line. I love the mid screen out of y trips wk in short yardage, especially if the corners are playing off coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
As of right now, it's pretty simple: just four verts, shallow crosses, flood, stick, very air-raid influenced. I try and slim it down so I have my favorite air raid concepts in.

I use bubble and mid screens, but I don't find my self resorting to those as often unless I call them in the huddle.

If I call a screen , it's most likely when the TE is on the line. I love the mid screen out of y trips wk in short yardage, especially if the corners are playing off coverage.
From what I can tell, we run a pretty similar passing game. I run the screens a good amount, and a i have a decent bit of play action that I don't use consistently in my playbook. I do use those same air raid concepts, though. Do you use the motion jet swings?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »