Home

Offensive schemes and tactics

This is a discussion on Offensive schemes and tactics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #49

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Offensive schemes and tactics

I consider myself to be a "multiple" offense with a heavy West Coast philosophical lean. I use a lot of short passes, and like to use my running backs in the passing game a good bit, almost like extended running plays on swing passes and we also run a lot of screens to the backs and receivers.

I say multiple though because we will come out some games in a simple I-formation and try to establish the run early, but there are many times where we will come out 5-wide and throw the ball on the first 10 plays of the game before settling in if we like our match-ups.

I like to consider my offense to be a college version of Sean Payton's New Orleans Saints offense.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 01-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #50
Pro

OVR: 0

I guess I can post this here as it deals with offense. Man, I need some serious help running the ball on NCAA 12. I played NCAA 06 earlier today on All American against a decent Memphis team and rushed for 200 yards. I played NCAA 12 a minute ago on Varsiry against a sorry Bowling Green team and rushed 25 times for -11 yards. Inside running was a hair better. But it is like the guy that comes off the edge or whatever has my decently fast HB before he can get going especially on outside runs and pitches. I can pass the ball pretty good on 12. I have the speed threshold turned almost all the way down. My defense on 12 is beast and I am playing as UConn. But it is the rushing attack and option that are sucking so badly.

Any tips and strategies folks???
Old 01-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LOVER
I run the power coast offense. It’s a combo of West and east coast tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you list some of the formations for this? It sounds interesting to me. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #52
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

I love running the ball. My offense on NCAA 14 has been, for years, a sort of dink and dunk, straight line, I-Form running approach and it paid off with 1,000 yard rushers in five of the first seven seasons of the UConn dynasty, but while lacking a spectacular pass offense for a number of reasons, likely.

With the coach change I did before season eight I changed playbooks to Rutgers and got more dynamic statistics. I always try to play realistically and don't consider myself a fantastic player at this game, but I'm looking at my season stats and am floored.

Maybe it was the combination of 95 ovr QB and 92 ovr RB but I had the best offensive season I've ever had - throwing for 3,998 yards and 35 touchdowns, two 1,000 yard freshman wide receivers. Our top running back went for 407 carries and 1,921 yards with 22 scores while the second running back carried 156 times for 975 and 8 scores. He would've broken 1,000 had I used him more earlier in the season... but my point is that I like controlling the football on this game, and having multiple running backs in my formation subs helps immensely.

The other interesting thing for me is that I play much differently on older NCAA games. On PS2 games I prefer to run the ball too, but in a more west coast/option attack - over winter break I played around with speed options and triple options from the pistol, one of my favorite looks to run.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
Rookie

dgarrett92's Arena

Diamond Veer

As of late I've been playing a lot of one formation offense out of the Pistol Full House formation. I've been looking for a way to run an up tempo option/misdirection offense without giving away any tendencies with motion( such as with the flexbone), while still maintaining a balanced 3 back set. While I do sacrifice the threat of a easily putting 4 potential receivers down the field, I feel that I gain an advantage by forcing a defense to either:

A. balance their formation
B. Show their hand by playing to one side of the field( leaving the weak side open)
C. Become overly aggressive and blitz (which benefits our play action passing game and option game)

As far as play calling is concerned, I try to always rely on series play calling ( anybody that knows anything about wing t football may know a bit more about this theory of play calling). For example, if i call counter, and i notice that the backside linebacker made the tackle behind the line of scrimmage, I'll call a zone read or maybe triple option ( with the tailback as the dive) to that player's side to see how he reacts. Based on that i go to other plays that can can counter this reaction. It also helps that since there's less than 20 plays, i can easily get to the play i want , giving me more time to make adjustments on the field.

Using this formation, i can also change personnel sets without giving up tendencies or formations, allowing me to:

A. Get more runners/blockers involved in the running game
B. Dictate/change style of play throughout the game. ( i.e. when playing with fb and te ( base personnel) i can be more power oriented, while with 3 running backs i can be more option/misdirection oriented)

The passing game is simple yet complete. I try to get tall WR or fast TE for WR since they are going to be the primary receivers. We run alot of play action passing and screens in order to attack defenses at their most vulnerable spots on the field due to their pursuit in the running game. While we may not throw it alot (7-15 times a game) we throw it enough to where the defense has to respect the passing game as a part of our strategy rather than just a desperation tactic.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #54
Pro

I just bought 14 a few days ago. Still getting familiar with the controls. I am practicing and playing exhibition games as UConn. I use air raid or Texas A&Ms playbook. My play calling though: I try and call a run, then a pass. Alternate between those two. Then, I will two of one, one of the other. Keep the system guessing.

I would like to run the ball more. Not just my scrambling QB. Any good, SIMPLE running formations?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
I just bought 14 a few days ago. Still getting familiar with the controls. I am practicing and playing exhibition games as UConn. I use air raid or Texas A&Ms playbook. My play calling though: I try and call a run, then a pass. Alternate between those two. Then, I will two of one, one of the other. Keep the system guessing.

I would like to run the ball more. Not just my scrambling QB. Any good, SIMPLE running formations?

Thanks.
I use a lot of two WR I-formations with FB and TE. They offer plenty of good run plays, and also few really effective play action plays.

I never run from shotgun. Only scrabling if a pass play does not open up properly.

I-formation
Weak-I
Strong-I
Split
Flexbone

Those are the main running formation I use. I usually have lots of good RB:s, so Flexbone offers me plenty of three RB-plays. I use formation subs, and change FB off and replace him with power RB, and sometimes I do that with Split too. Still maybe 3 out of 4 run plays are from I-formations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan

Thanks.
Any of the offset Gun formations or the pistol formations are good for running while still allowing you to be pass-heavy if you like, eliminating broadcasting tendencies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »