Home

Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

This is a discussion on Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #17
Rookie

FairBolFL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Getting Closer to getting NCAA Game Back

Just saw the proposed game on the developer's site, and I am not impressed. The game looks too amateurish to be worth my money. If this game happens to be released the way it is, I think I'd have to pass on it. Good idea, but not enough development.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliam
They should put a clause in the scholarship that your likeness can be used and then we could have football and basketball back. I would like to NCAA baseball game. The players are already being compensated with scholarships, books, trainers, best tutors, chance to play for pros, etc...
I think a simple opt in opt out would suffice. Let's say the NCAA eventually goes with the Olympic Model as Emmert has intimated. Then EA could sign the schools, NCAA and conferences. Even sign a cover boy that's a current athlete like Fromm. Well for the rest they could have players simply opt in or out. If Nick Chubb doesn't want his likeness in the game, it won't be. I'd still imagine the vast majority of players would opt in. You don't necessarily have to pay them. Though understand the players who would withhold their likeness if not paid.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
Rookie

darthredskin's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairBolFL
Just saw the proposed game on the developer's site, and I am not impressed. The game looks too amateurish to be worth my money. If this game happens to be released the way it is, I think I'd have to pass on it. Good idea, but not enough development.
Which game?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
Rookie

If the NCAA approves that players can make money off their likeness, does that mean a game could come out. What other hurdles are in the way?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #21
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingelsby
If the NCAA approves that players can make money off their likeness, does that mean a game could come out. What other hurdles are in the way?
A game could come out now, technically. There's nothing stopping the NCAA, conferences or schools from licensing to a game. Just look at NBA 2K. All parties just wanted to avoid the murky likeness stuff and lawsuits. Plus EA wanted the real actual players. But with the whole likeness issue more or less settled, and players able to get paid from outside sources (IF it comes to pass) then it would seem ripe for a game to return. Especially NCAA Football with the popularity of the CFP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #22
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingelsby
It doesn't matter what other hurdles there are. There is no way that any game company could afford to pay all the players in the NCAA. Also paying players is not gonna happen anytime soon it seems, and it shouldn't.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #23
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
I honestly think that if they just passed around waivers to all student athletes asking for them to sign away their rights to be in a video game that probably 75% of the players would sign it and be happy to just be in the game. Hell, most would probably do it for a copy of the game itself, if that were allowed.

But there is probably a way to give them some money in the deal and just set it aside for when their playing career is over.
I totally agree with this. And if, IF the NCAA adopts the Olympic Model then there's nothing stopping 2K or EA from paying certain player(s) outright for their likeness. They wouldn't have to pay every single player. If that were the case then I'd see the game being comprised of fictional rosters. But like you, I think the vast majority would be onboard with being in a game. Remember, 98% of these guys arent going to the NFL.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
A game could come out now, technically. There's nothing stopping the NCAA, conferences or schools from licensing to a game. Just look at NBA 2K. All parties just wanted to avoid the murky likeness stuff and lawsuits. Plus EA wanted the real actual players. But with the whole likeness issue more or less settled, and players able to get paid from outside sources (IF it comes to pass) then it would seem ripe for a game to return. Especially NCAA Football with the popularity of the CFP.
The cancellation of the game had nothing to do with EA wanting the real players. They cancelled because big conferences and schools started pulling out during the whole lawsuit thing about the players. EA was fine with randomizing rosters and losing the NCAA license (they had announced the series would be rebranded as College Football 15 before cancelling).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »